No announcement yet.

Deer lures - honest opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first buck I killed followed the trail of buck stop glandulure I put out on the way to my stand. Probably a coincidence, because that's the only time it worked.

Comment

I found a couple of unopened bottles of die pee I bought years ago. I’ll try it out this week.

Comment

I **** from my stand most times as I usually sit all day. And I swear every time I do within the hour (sometimes in minutes) coincidence or not... i have deer show up and have had many of them come directly to where I ******. So I do know one thing for a fact.... deer are not afraid of human ****.

Comment

Just to clarify before someone thinks the censored words in my above comment is poop. LOL... I was saying human urine.

Comment

I have used it all mainly becouse i get samples being in the business.. 99% is to catch the hunter. The only thing i keep in my backpack the past 15 years and use other than corn...is Trails End #307. And i use it very lightly. Im still on my 3rd bottle in 15 years. It works in my opinion if used very sparingly.

Comment

Most are total gimmicks. I am a believer in using doe estrous if used at the right time. I have seen it be extremely effective many many times. I've shot many bucks that came directly in to the scent wick away from a feeder area. I've had it happen enough to know it works when conditions and timing are right.

Comment

I have used Tink`s 69 for year's and had good luck with it.

Comment

I've had luck with mock scrapes and the slow release "wildlife research center" active scrape lure. If not for anything else, it is great for getting pics of your local and traveling bucks.

Comment

I have tried the doe in heat stuff, a few times. Never worked at all, but I did not see any deer, pretty sure it was the area I was hunting, combined with the time of year, I was using the stuff. I would bet at times, that stuff works, but the few times I tried it, it did not help at all. When there are no deer to attract, it does not matter what you do, they are not going to come running.

I have tried rattling horns a couple times, don't know if I was doing worth a crap with the horns, or if I was using them at the wrong time. Again, I saw zero deer, when I used them. The places I used the rattling horns, there were plenty of deer in the area, and normally I would see deer. But every time I tried the rattling horns, I would not see so much as a single doe. I would bet, I was not doing a good job of sounding like two big bucks fighting, probably more like two, two year olds scrapping. So I gave that up quickly. Then the rattling horns, we used to have many years ago, disappeared many years ago, don't know where they went.

The only time I ever used any scents and brought something in, was when I tried to use the skunk scent, as cover up scent. Every time, without fail, it brought the buzzards in. I would have buzzards swooping right over my head for an hour, looking for that dead skunk.

At the right place and right time, used in the right way, I am sure some of those scents work very well. It's just not my hunting style, so I don't spend the time, to use them anymore.
                    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 10-27-2020, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                      I have tried the doe in heat stuff, a few times. Never worked at all, but I did not see any deer, pretty sure it was the area I was hunting, combined with the time of year, I was using the stuff. I would bet at times, that stuff works, but the few times I tried it, it did not help at all. When there are no deer to attract, it does not matter what you do, they are not going to come running.

I have tried rattling horns a couple times, don't know if I was doing worth a crap with the horns, or if I was using them at the wrong time. Again, I saw zero deer, when I used them. The places I used the rattling horns, there were plenty of deer in the area, and normally I would see deer. But every time I tried the rattling horns, I would not see so much as a single doe. I would bet, I was not doing a good job of sounding like two big bucks fighting, probably more like two, two year olds scrapping. So I gave that up quickly. Then the rattling horns, we used to have many years ago, disappeared many years ago, don't know where they went.

The only time I ever used any scents and brought something in, was when I tried to use the skunk scent, as cover up scent. Every time, without fail, it brought the buzzards in. I would have buzzards swooping right over my head for an hour, looking for that dead skunk.

At the right place and right time, used in the right way, I am sure some of those scents work very well. It's just not my hunting style, so I don't spend the time, to use them anymore.
                      I love rattling when its that time of yr. One thing I have learned is that rattling around feeders are pretty much a waste of time. Also I have had my best luck rattling from say 9am -3pm. With lunch time being probably the best. Cold, overcast and drizzly days are golden. Rattle and give it a few minutes then move. We have a couple of ridge lines on our ranch I like to work. Riley won't hardly go sit in a deer blind after she rattled in a few big bucks.
                      Last edited by BrandonA; 10-27-2020, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Mistletoe

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                          I’ve had some success with buck bombs sprayed directly on trees before a rattling session. All honesty the best scent I’ve found that works is human **** in particular female. Anytime I’m out and have to pee I go pee by my stand. If a female is around and she needs to pee she goes pop a squat at whatever stand I want to hunt.
                          I second that especially for hogs

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                            Used Special Golden Estrous all wknd and sat basically 2 full days. Not a single deer blew and actually saw the most deer I have ever seen in a sit. This is in East Tx and that should say a lot. Big target buck came in to the scent wick. Never got a shot but I say it worked!

Killed a mature 8pt 4 yrs ago with a buck bomb. Sprayed my boots walking in and he came in with his head down on the walk in trail.

I think the scents work if used at the right time. Just don’t use Tinks or anything with his name on it.

Buck Bomb buck
                            Originally posted by happy bowhunter View Post
                            Golden estrous as well,great cover scent and attracts bucks during the rut
                            Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                            I’ve had some success with buck bombs sprayed directly on trees before a rattling session. All honesty the best scent I’ve found that works is human **** in particular female. Anytime I’m out and have to pee I go pee by my stand. If a female is around and she needs to pee she goes pop a squat at whatever stand I want to hunt.
                            Can you guys post a pic of this product? Exactly how do you use it? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by shark79 View Post
                              Mistletoe
                              Forgot about that. Saw a thread on mistletoe on tbh way back. I have lots at a rental property I'm going to go cut and try for grins.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                                Can you guys post a pic of this product? Exactly how do you use it? Thanks.
                                Special Golden Estrous comes with a wick. I also buy a scent drag. Soak it and then walk to the stand crossing trails along the way. You can see the buck on the trail. When I reach the stand I soak the wick and hang it in a tree nearby. You can see the white wick just to the left of the buck in the tree.

Buck bomb comes in a black can. I spray my boots every 50-75 yds and walk to the stand. Once at the stand I finish the can off like a bug bomb. Lock trigger and mist the air.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X