No announcement yet.

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for tips. I will do that. I have a bell on her tracking harness. I will use one for her food also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How long should you waite before putting dog on blood trail and what is to long

Comment

I am new to this but my tracking buddy that has done it for years always waits about 4-6 hours. My young dog does better 6-12 hrs out. I guess it depends on the dog.

Comment

Originally posted by LAW View Post
          How long should you waite before putting dog on blood trail and what is to long

Depends on where deer is shot and the dogs nose!

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
            My JRT, Zeke, is pretty green. He does get lots of real tracks though, and I hope he will get “it” at some point. I shot a doe last night that went about 100yds. There was not a single speck of visible blood on the trail, and I really didn’t know where she had gone because she disappeared behind brush 2 steps after getting shot. I put Zeke on the track, and he went right to her in about 45 seconds! It was almost like he was a seasoned tracker! I love seeing him do his thing successfully! I can’t believe I didn’t get a hero pic of him claiming his prize!!! [emoji2959]

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Bisch, where did you get Zeke from?

Comment

Working at LOR is good for him.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                Rudy got his first track of the year yesterday. My buddy had been waiting on the right wind to go after his target buck and told me he should have an arrow in him by 7:30. I told him to give me a shout so I could get him on a track. At 7:40 he texted me and said com on. He made a great shot and the track was easier than I wanted but Rudy enjoyed it all the same. 100 yards with three direction changes.

We had to work on his manners at the cleaning rack. He was ok with me touching the deer but no so fond of my buddy.

That’s his deer, you get rights as his Master but no one else. This is not to be corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                  Bisch, where did you get Zeke from?

Got him from Killer Miller on here!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Dimmit tracked a toad last night. Got a video of a bow shot buck quartering away, middle of body and right in front of ham. So gut. Arrow was released at 7 am. Another dog tracked for 2 hrs with no luck, 6 hrs after the shot. Now it was 10 hrs after the shot. I loaded Dimmit up for the 3 hr and 45 min drive to batesville. Track was for a good friends son, and the bucks was big and I felt he was dead. So off we went. Made a game plan over the ranch map and dropped him. They had found two small thin pools of blood at 150 yards. Dimmit went past them and kept going nearest water was 500 yards out and that’s the way he was going. Figured he would head to water we kept working towards the pond. Sure enough 460 yards in some nasty brush he bedded up. 14 hrs after shot and almost no blood we got him in the ranger.

If someone could post the pictures he’s 175 6/8 native genetic high fence.

Comment

Good job [emoji106]

Comment

Posting for BrokenJ

Posting for BrokenJ

God Bless
                        Bish
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                          Newest member of the TBH tracking group. This is Jaggie. I have high hopes. She is a hoot so far. Tons of drive. I can use any advice on getting started. This has been a dream of mine for a long time.

Where is your Jagd from?

Comment

I have a young jagd available if anyone is interested

Comment

I have been following this thread for a while now picking up tips and tricks for my fathers Jagd Terrier that tracks for us here and there. I am now considering getting a tracking dog of my own, however, after doing tons of research I am still uncertain on which route to go.

I currently have a 16 month old mini Aussie, she is pretty much just a house dog and I would like to get a breed that I know for sure would get along with her. The traditional tracking breed that I have narrowed down to is a Blue Lacey. I know that’s quite a popular breed on here. Out of curiosity though, what are y’all’s opinions on a mini Aussie tracking? Obviously, they are a herding breed and not the traditional tracker but I met someone who swears by them and uses them often for tracking wounded game. That being said, do you believe my current mini Aussie is too old to begin tracking and would I be better off in getting a mini Aussie puppy and training her from the start to have any success? Orrrr should I just get a traditional tracking breed?

Just throwing this comment out there, I realize there are a lot of experienced trackers and dog handlers on this thread and I appreciate feedback I can get. That’s in advance.

Comment

My Blue Lacy impressed the heck out of me last season. I originally bought her on TBH about 3 years ago to train her to track. Found out trying to train her in the city and with my schedule is too hard.

My son got a bad shot on a buck and we lost the blood trail after about an hour and only 100 yards. Told my son let’s go back to house and grab Luna. Figured it couldn’t hurt. (Always took her to the lease so she could run and chase cattle)

It was insane…I put her on the blood and she ran it in about 5 min. Then she picked it back up about 300yds away. Then she found the buck under some crazy thick trees and brush a mile away.

Never would of thought it was so natural for her. Excited to get her back out.

Comment

Working...
                                X