Neck sizing only - Good video!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neck sizing only - Good video!

Cortina hits the nail on the head here. Good info.

Been trying to pass this 411 along ever since I joined tbh...min fl size is what wins benchrest, but those that believe in it cannot be convinced & will be along soon.

I quit doing it right after I tried...I knew something was wrong as I could feel the problem with said neck size brass & bolt closure resistance / variance & could tell the brass was stretching differently from case to case.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
      Been trying to pass this 411 along ever since I joined tbh...min fl size is what wins benchrest, but those that believe in it cannot be convinced & will be along soon.

I quit doing it right after I tried...I knew something was wrong as I could feel the problem with said neck size brass & bolt closure resistance / variance & could tell the brass was stretching differently from case to case.

Yes sir. Ive tried it too. It a theory that wont die because of blind leading the blind.

Comment

I always full length size my 6.5x47. Have it set up to bump the shoulder slightly. Never had any issues this way. Also getting great brass life but I do anneal every firing.

Dave

Comment

Erik is a great guy and a pretty decent shooter He knows a thing or two at what it takes to shoot well and is the winners circle more times than not. It helps that he lives nearby.

Comment

Makes sense to me... that's why I bump 1-2 thou in a body die as part of my prep.

Comment

I've poked around and some of his stuff is whackadoodle. The bullet comparator video, for example.
              Take what you want and leave the rest applies here.

Comment

I'm sure he could out shoot me with both eyes closed and while he's generally correct, his video is misleading. First, there is probably not a single national competitor that runs their brass through an off the shelf FL die. Second, small base dies were made for auto loaders, not over stretched brass. Third, there is a difference between neck sizing only and using a neck sizing die. The main thing that should be taken from the video is yes, the shoulder needs to be pushed back that .002-.003.

There are a few instances that I neck size only, mostly with subsonics. With the much lower pressures I just don't get a very good seal in the chamber and leaving the brass fire formed helps with blowby.

Comment

Thanks for bringing this up. I'd forgotten about bumping the shoulder back. I used to bump the shoulders back on several of my calibers. 257 Bob and 7mm RSAUM in particular. Set the die and forget it. That's probably why I haven't remembered it. LOL! I need to set my 6.5X55 dies and my new 6.5 PRC dies when they arrive.

Comment

Tagged. I have been neck sizing only for a long time and have seen no ill effects from it. I’m not out shooting for money either but I can get 1/4” groups from my custom rifles only neck sizing.

I will bump the shoulder when I start feeling chambering resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

ttt

Comment

Good info. Never thought about it from that perspective.

Comment

I full length size belted brass and bump size er thang else. Works fer me.

Comment

Thanks, OP. Another handloading channel to explore.

Maybe.
                            Last edited by Brute Killer; 02-27-2019, 05:27 AM. Reason: Added maybe after cursory exploration of said channel :)

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                              I'm sure he could out shoot me with both eyes closed and while he's generally correct, his video is misleading. First, there is probably not a single national competitor that runs their brass through an off the shelf FL die. Second, small base dies were made for auto loaders, not over stretched brass. Third, there is a difference between neck sizing only and using a neck sizing die. The main thing that should be taken from the video is yes, the shoulder needs to be pushed back that .002-.003.

1. He didn't mention off-the-shelf anything.
                              2. Small base dies, I have no idea where they originated
                              3. He mentions bushing dies for neck tension in conjunction with FL sizing. I believe he says 'neck sizing' when he means 'neck size only'. A reasonable assumption, when this is the whole purpose of this video.

Comment

Working...
                              X