Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reverse osmosis systems?

My water well has to much sodium.
    I've been bring in 5 gallon bottles for a long time.
    I just need water filtered for cooking and drinking.
    Will a reverse osmosis system last with a water well.
    I would pre filter for iron etc. to make it easier on the system. I am going to try a special sodium filter but the first one came in with the case broken.

I checked into getting community water and the cost to run the line is a little shy of $4000 They have to run 1080 feet of 2 inch line to get to my place.

Any info would help.

I’m curious as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I used to run them for my saltwater aquariums. I used it for drinking water too, but I had city water. I would imagine it would filter it just fine. I always bought from filter direct . Com. They were extremely reasonable about 10 years ago.

Comment

Yes. And you don't need much for cooking/drinking. I-Spring makes some very reliable ones, and they are affordable. Your pressure tank is your limiting factor. It may have the ability to make 70 gal a day, but you need somewhere to store the excess, and the tanks are small. 3-7 gal is about average. Filters are also affordable and will last about year if your ppm is under a 1000. Also, RO on a small scale isn't very efficient. For every gal it makes, you'll lose roughly 1.5-2 gal of waste.
        Just about any system is DIY easy.
        On demand systems, could possibly cost about as much, as getting community water.
        You will also need at least 40psi, or a pump if you don't.
        Last edited by MadHatter; 02-21-2019, 06:42 PM.

Comment

There is several different types of water softener resin systems some don’t use salt but you have a problem with iron. Back when I did water filtration removing iron was the most expensive aspect of water filtration. I can’t remember the resin they used that doesn’t need salt, but it was made for water with high sodium and iron content. It was sold to people who had other corrosive issues other than hard water. You may be able to run this in conjunction with a water softener. But a reverse osmosis will help with water flavor and sodium. Have you tried KCl and not salt for your tank. Try calling rainsoft and a fella off of nacogdoches road in San Antonio see what they say. Rainsoft are high pressure sales so beware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve installed many an RO systems on an industrial scale at work. Installed a 1st generation RO system on our water heater in 1987 and used it until 1998. Worked great.

We moved in 98 and have had no reason for treating the water where we are now. The RO that worked for our home was the old school magnet system

Comment

You aked if it would last. Mine is still kicking at 22 years old.

Comment

One of the under-sink RO systems with the little faucet for your drinking/cooking water will work just fine. Pick up an inexpensive TDS meter and use it to know when to change your filters.

Comment

up

Comment

Just my opinion, but if you plan on staying there, why not have water run. Any filter system and a well will cost you money over time.

Comment

Originally posted by wsteffen View Post
                      Just my opinion, but if you plan on staying there, why not have water run. Any filter system and a well will cost you money over time.

$4000.00 Cost to run line.

The reverse osmosis cost about $300 ish.

Filters maybe $100 a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
                        $4000.00 Cost to run line.

The reverse osmosis cost about $300 ish.

Filters maybe $100 a year.
                        And the quality of the water coming from that line might be even worse than your well water.

Comment

Working...
                        X