Asado de Puerco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asado de Puerco

I had to try making this after having it at an awesome little taco shop, here in Kingwood. It is similar to a lot of family recipes in that there’s about 30 different ways to make it. I didn’t want anything except how the taco shop makes it so I read just about every one I could find to see which ones looked close to it...even had to use google translator on several.

A number of the recipes said it’s what they make for parties. Now I understand why. This ain’t no “whip something up for dinner on a school night” kind of recipe, and even though I have made some crazy involved stuff, this one was hands down the messiest. For maybe twice a year, I think it is worth it. The kids loved it even though I messed it up on this first try.

So, here’s how I made it. I combined a few of the recipes and used what I thought would be good. If anyone has a recipe they like, post it up. I’d like to see if there’s a less involved method to get to the end result....which is so fantastic on warm tortillas!

5 lbs pork shoulder, cut into 1” pieces
    5 ancho chili’s
    1/2 lb guajillo chilis
    1 orange
    1/2 white onion
    1 tomato
    1 Bell pepper
    3 large cloves garlic
    1 bolillo bun or 1 slice of bread
    4oz abuelita chocolate
    1 Shiner bock
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp thyme
    1 tsp oregano
    Salt
    2 bay leaves

In a large pan, begin cooking the pork on medium heat. At the same time, get a stock pot and put 11 cups of water on medium heat. Cut the tomato, bell pepper, and onion in half and roast on the grille on medium heat. While all that is going, de-pod and de-seed the chili’s.

Keep an eye on the meat but let it continue to cook. Turn the veggies on the grille until they are roasted and charred and then bring them inside. At this point the water should be about to boil. Add the veggies (take the skin off the ‘mater), all the chili’s, the chocolate, the bread, and the garlic to the water. Bring to a simmer, stirring regularly, for about 15mins.

Cut the heat on the big pot of chili’s. Pour the liquid and veggies/chili’s mixture into a blender and blend on high to liquefy everything. Now, get another pot and pour the blended liquid through a wire mesh strainer into the pot. This will take several batches, and if you’re like me, you’ll overfill the blender and blast that near boiling liquid all over yourself and the kitchen. Save the purée, but set aside.

By now, the pork should have cooked off all the water. Add a little oil and fry it on low for about 10 minutes. Take the strained chili sauce and pour it over the pork. Add the beer, cut the orange in half and add both halves, and add the spices. Let that simmer. Add salt to taste (about 1 tsp or a little more if needed). Cook the sauce down to a thick gravy. Taste the purée and if you want add a big spoonful or two to the sauce to help add flavor and thicken it up a tad.

Warm some tortillas and prepare to shovel your fat face. This recipe took about 2 hrs to make, used almost every pot we had, gave me a burn on my arm when the blender exploded, and plain wore me out. It’s good though, and I will definitely make it again, maybe for a party, but definitely not on a school night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wheres the taco shop in Kingwood? I'll probably start with them the easy way!

Comment

Where in Kingwood?

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
        Wheres the taco shop in Kingwood? I'll probably start with them the easy way!

Originally posted by Brush Country View Post
        Where in Kingwood?

Kingwood Taco Shop on Mills Branch next door to the Subway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X