340 or 400??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

340 or 400??

A fellow tbh'er just pointed out that he thought i might should be shooting 340 spine arrows instead of 400's. According to the charts it looks like he is right. I've shot the beman ics hunter 400's and goldtip 5575 for years out of my hoyts without tuning or accuracy issues. Please excuse my ignorance on this subject but is it a safety issue or just a tuning thing? My current set up is '13 elite hunter 29"@70# that will be finished setting up by the weekend. I have a new dozen of the beman mfx bone collector 400's. Should i sell them and get some 340's??

I believe the 5575 have a 330-350 spine. What's the arrow length?

Comment

You are underspined at 29/70 with .400's. He's right, I'd go with .340's. There's no danger involved but you'll get better flight with .340's, including better broadhead penetration.

Are bare shafts and fletched hitting same POI at 20 yards?

Comment

Originally posted by bowstalker210 View Post
        I believe the 5575 have a 330-350 spine. What's the arrow length?
        the 5575 are a 400 spine the 7595 are the 340 spine.

Comment

I have seen some bows at 70# shoot 400's better. We shot 12 arrows 6-400 6-340 both beman ICS of the same length. Both shot bullets through paper. At 80 yds the 400's grouped considerably tighter.

Comment

It's all about what works for you. One of my old Elite bows (54lbs and 27" draw) love 340 spine arrows. It was the only thing it would tune to perfection with. I've also had a Mathews same poundage and draw that love 500 spine.

I guess my point it, if you're shooting your current arrows with success, don't change anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
              You are underspined at 29/70 with .400's. He's right, I'd go with .340's. There's no danger involved but you'll get better flight with .340's, including better broadhead penetration.

Are bare shafts and fletched hitting same POI at 20 yards?
              With my hoyt at those specs it tuned perfect at 20yds....bullet holes. Well actually it was 29"@65#. I'm drawing a little more weight with the hunter. Im still waiting on my sight for the new bow and hope to get her tuned up saturday. That's why i'm wondering if i need to start fresh with the 340 if they will shoot better and just get rid of the 400's. Looks like pretty much everybody is in agreement so 340 it is....thanks

Comment

Originally posted by brent.westbrook View Post
                I have seen some bows at 70# shoot 400's better. We shot 12 arrows 6-400 6-340 both beman ICS of the same length. Both shot bullets through paper. At 80 yds the 400's grouped considerably tighter.
                I'll shoot both when i'm at the bowshop saturday and see how she likes them.

Comment

You will find the stiffer spine has better consistency downrange, especially after about 40 yards, they will be much tighter grouped.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                    I'll shoot both when i'm at the bowshop saturday and see how she likes them.
                    Shoot fixed tip BH's with each arrow and that will bring out which one shoots best!

Comment

Definitely go with 340's with that set up. You will get better performance in general and better penetration

Comment

I do agree with that draw length and poundage, .340's would likely work better for you (assuming an 100gr head).

Comment

Working...
                        X