X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300 win mag. Have for sale if ur interested

Comment

Originally posted by droptine8850 View Post
      If you see how thick the hide is, you'll know why outfitters prefer larger calibers.
      huh? a large diameter bullet does not equal a penetrating bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
        45 70- through a brick at em!
        This gets my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
          huh? a large diameter bullet does not equal a penetrating bullet.
          The 6.5x284 norma out performs most of the larger rounds when it comes to amount of punch down range. Seems like it would be PLENTY of gun. I shot clean through a gemsbok, water buck, and 2 kudu in Africa with a bow and killed some big hogs with less gun and a bow. How can these animals be much different?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Bigger is Better ..But not so big you can't shoot it accurately

Comment

Got a 300 Wby Mag you can borrow that shoots about 1.5" groups at 200 yards with 200 grain Nosler Partitions. Live in Calallen so im on the way down. All I ask for is a back leg. And my rifle back of course. Lol

Comment

Caliber question

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                The 6.5x284 norma out performs most of the larger rounds when it comes to amount of punch down range. Seems like it would be PLENTY of gun. I shot clean through a gemsbok, water buck, and 2 kudu in Africa with a bow and killed some big hogs with less gun and a bow. How can these animals be much different?

If you answer your own question, why ask?

Comment

Originally posted by trophyhunter01 View Post
                  If you answer your own question, why ask?
                  Learn to just not type if you feel the need to be a smart butt. I ask cause I have never hunted them. Maybe I'm missing something just trying to bring personal experience to the conversation.

Comment

Nailgai

Learn to just not type if you feel the need to be a smart butt. I ask cause I have never hunted them. Maybe I'm missing something just trying to bring personal experience to the conversation.

LMAO, Calm down Francis

Comment

I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you what I did. I bought a 300 win mag out of the classifieds here on TBH, and now it is one of my favorite guns.

Signed up again for another Nilgai hunt next January.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

What gun for nilgai?

I don’t know about those other critters but I have never seen an exit wound on a Nilgai with the 5 or 6 we have killed. I’ve seen them shot with:

280 Remington Cow DRT

300 WSM Cow no blood trail but found within 100 yards

300 ultra young bull DRT

338 win mag No blood thought it was a miss but ended up finding it

375 H&H 3 shots no blood dead within site

300 win mag I shot it 3 times with my AR and on the third shot it dropped with no blood or exit wounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by Black Ice; 02-23-2019, 02:03 AM.

Comment

I agree, and was first to say the 6.5 is plenty of bullet, and cartridge.
                          I was responding to (and quoted) the guy who said that the thick hide is why a larger caliber is preferred. Hogwash

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                            I agree, and was first to say the 6.5 is plenty of bullet, and cartridge.
                            I was responding to (and quoted) the guy who said that the thick hide is why a larger caliber is preferred. Hogwash
                            I knew what you meant. I should have said that as I was afraid you thought I was arguing against you, lol. I'm with you on belief, but I've never laid my hands on one of these animals. I can't imagine they have a shield like a big boar hog, but...maybe

Comment

Our place near/next to King and also the Yturria requires .30 cal and up or 7mag. That's what I shoot.

Others I hunt with all carry 300, 338, 30-06, and the big Weatherbys. Either way, the bulls will continue on for a distance even after a good shot. Just don't expect them to hit the floor like other big game when slammed hard.

Comment

Why are people fascinated with exit wounds?
                                A bullet that exits an animal transfers less (destructive) energy to the animal. A bullet that explodes inside the vital cavity is more likely to result in a DRT than one that punches through. If not why don’t we hunt with FMJ bullets?

Comment

Working...
                                X