No announcement yet.

Wanting to build/buy a varmint rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a remington 700 vsf 22 250. . It shoots as well as the custom guns I have. I shoot pigs with it after deer season. Some people don't care for long barrel guns but I find a front heavy gun to be easier to shoot off hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
      I think you should get the AR in .223 Rem, get an extra upper in 6.5 Grendel and you got your bases covered for Whitetail down to rabbits.

I do hunt pigs with a 223 AR because ammo is cheap and I aint searching for empty brass in the dark. I reload but not for my 223 AR, it would be a waste of money for me.
      This idea doesn't suck at all... Order a trigger tech adaptive trigger in the two stage, drop it in lighten it up and get to ripping. Don't get the spring replacement type trigger "upgrades" swapping to that lighter spring causes light strikes on the primer... Ask me how I know...

Comment

Although I am not an avid AR guy (even though I have one that is mostly a safe queen), from what you said I would look at a .223 bolt rifle. The AR's are fun to shoot and I know mine is plenty accurate but also pretty heavy to carry around. Ammo is cheap, readily available and in a number of bullet types and weights.

I hunt a lot of coyotes etc. here in Wyoming where there is big, wide open country so my go to rifle has always been a 220 Swift for the varmints. I am also a serious reloader so for me, I don't care about factory ammo.

If you want something with a little more effective range than the .223 that still offers a lot of choices in factory ammo then I would look at a 22-250 bolt gun.

Comment

I’ve got a sweet 224 valkryie AR posted for sale here. I’ve never used the round on varmints but I’ve heard great things about it, and I know it’s accurate enough for the task.

Comment

I've really enjoyed my fast twist Tikka in 22-250.

Comment

Since you don't reload, that eliminates one disadvantage of an AR platform -- that is, retrieving spent cases. This is a big pet peeve of mine. Its much easier to retrieve brass from a bolt gun. The other issue with an AR (at least on direct impingement systems) is having to clean more often. I hate cleaning. Bolt guns are typically more accurate also. Thus, I am more partial to bolt guns.

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
                Since you don't reload, that eliminates one disadvantage of an AR platform -- that is, retrieving spent cases. This is a big pet peeve of mine. Its much easier to retrieve brass from a bolt gun. The other issue with an AR (at least on direct impingement systems) is having to clean more often. I hate cleaning. Bolt guns are typically more accurate also. Thus, I am more partial to bolt guns.
                exactly one of the drawbacks I was thinking of when considering the AR.....

I think I have decided on a bolt gun because of the help/advice given here. Now to decide between the .22-250 and now the .204Ruger or 22manbun, I mean creedmor…..(thanks a bunch catslayer)

Comment

Originally posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
                  exactly one of the drawbacks I was thinking of when considering the AR.....

I think I have decided on a bolt gun because of the help/advice given here. Now to decide between the .22-250 and now the .204Ruger or 22manbun, I mean creedmor…..(thanks a bunch catslayer)
                  you can build a custom 204 or 22-250 with a select match grade s.s. barrel and HS stock for $1300 … Will shoot lights out !

buy a donor Rem 700 rifle ($400), send action to PacNor ($650 to blueprint action, chamber, install barrel), and drop-in a HS Precision stock ($225)

will resemble this build , minus the brake (photo borrowed from Calenthelee)

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                    you can build a custom 204 or 22-250 with a select match grade s.s. barrel and HS stock for $1300 … Will shoot lights out !

buy a donor Rem 700 rifle ($400), send action to PacNor ($650 to blueprint action, chamber, install barrel), and drop-in a HS Precision stock ($225)

will resemble this build , minus the brake (photo borrowed from Calenthelee)

that is a good lookin weapon right there brother!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X