Learning a new language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
    The fact you ordered in " Hispanic " and not Spanish has me concerned with your " Hispanic ".
    Lmao

Probably ordering a 100 dollar sir vaysa

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Not really necessary in my opinion. We were in Italy in October and English is fine everywhere you go. We both speak Spanish so we could occasionally pick up on things people were saying.

I pig hunted in the Umbria wine region while we were there with a guy that didn’t speak a single word of English and I didn’t speak a single word Italian, so for the 4 hours we were together, we spoke through Google translate. We had a blast in the blind and still stay in contact and send hunting pictures back and forth.

Comment

There enough free videos on youtube to learn the basics and then i use a flashcard app called quizlet on my phone to practice daily.

I also use "Google Translate" everytime i go overseas. It turns on your camera and you just hold you phone up at anything and everything..and it turns everything into english in real time. It can get addicting becouse it that cool.

Comment

They need to learn English

Comment

Rosetta stone is very good. Uncle Sam sent me to language school in the late '80s, went down south for a while and habled almost fluently.

Time and age diminished my language skill, but a new job requirements meant travel back south. I picked up the Rosetta Stone and thought it was excellent as a refresher.

I did a family trip to Italy a few years ago and spent several months picking up basic Italian from Rosetta Stone, worked well for me.

Comment

Italy needs to wake up

Comment

I had to attend a post well meeting in some Italian Coastal place for ENI can’t really remember the name but it sounded like Portfolio or something like that. I was surprised how much I could pick up on just knowing Texican. Lots of the vocabulary just sounded like a more passionate Spanish. Kinda like my wife when she gets ****** off. I tend to tone her out when she gets like that but I guess I picked up on a lot of it.

Comment

Just get drunk and then talk to them, my Spanish was always better after I had been drinking most of the day…

Comment

Duo Lingo App. It’s free.
                    I took 6years of Spanish but spoke and used it more outside of a classroom at work in kitchens through high school & college and a lot after college speaking with native Spanish speakers working on pipelines.

Came in real handy when speaking to the guys on a lease I hunted in Old Mexico, 33 days one year. I was the most conversant in Spanish that year than I ever was prior.

Duo Lingo was a very quick refresher, I think you could learn basics of travel, directions, dining language, greetings, basic question & answer. It’s designed in a method as such. Would at least be helpful. It’s very simple to get started and provided an assessment of your knowledge of the language prior to beginning lessons.
                    I think if one was to stick to 20 mins a day, over the course of a few weeks they could be mildly conversant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Go with Duolingo, as it works. That being said you must put in the time/work or you're wasting your time.

Comment

I did the Pimsler cd's years ago for Spanish. I remember a thimble full. All our international kids that want to come have to pass the Duolingo test now. Might try that.

Comment

Can't you just tell 'em you're from Texas and let it go at that?

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                            Can't you just tell 'em you're from Texas and let it go at that?
                            What if he needs to fine the closest place that serves a good cinnamon latte??

Comment

Originally posted by N.DaWoods View Post
                              We did 11 days in Italy self guided. We had a blast, many English speakers, especially in the heavy tourist spots. I got the vibe that really terrible Italian from an American tourist would be probably be worse than just speaking English. They know your a tourist and pretty much embrace that. I would just go and enjoy yourself and not fret about it. As far as understanding some basic words or phrases, Duolingo is free and easy, but youll be fine without anything.

Interesting to hear. I always heard they didn’t appreciate us showing up expecting everyone to speak English and appreciated a sincere attempt to speak Italian.

Then again Texans are a bit more revered around the world than other Americans. [emoji3]

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                                What if he needs to fine the closest place that serves a good cinnamon latte??

Not a coffee drinker. I will be drinking wine and beer across that country for 16 days though.

Comment

Working...
                                X