Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-04-2021, 02:02 PM   #1
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co
Default Who's been bitten by a venomous snake?

Another thread got me thinking about this... I've never been bitten but I've come really close twice, including a cottonmouth going between my feet and the head of my weedeater, and striking at the weedeater instead of my feet on the way by. This just seems like it could be one of those threads that gets long with some good stories... So, who's been bitten? What happened? How did it turn out for you? I don't mind a good story about a near miss, either.
bullets13 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:11 PM   #2
tadmaryperry
Ten Point

Hunt In: ?

my wife got bitten by a copperhead on the finger while gardening. Got her to the ER within an hour and she spent three days in ICU. She doesn't do ANY outside work without looking for old no legs anymore!
tadmaryperry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:11 PM   #3
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack and Henderson Counties

I was showing my wife where a snake crossed a sandy part in the road back in 2009. Looked down and a copperhead had a hold of my jeans. I was standing on him and luckily it was just enough he could only reach where my jeans covered my boots.

Walked over a 6í rattlesnake with in Jack County that same year and had no idea until my wife pointed it out.

My landscaper at the ranch I manage got popped by a copperhead on his hand recently. 3 wks or swelling but fortunately it was a dry bite. Still a nasty bite and you can tell he was uncomfortable.
Antlers86 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:14 PM   #4
txhunter90
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lindale

Best friends wife got bit a few years ago. Ankle swole up to as big as her thigh. They decided not to do the antivenom. Said sometimes it does more damage than good. She received an $18K medical bill in the mail once. Never received anything else after that, not sure how that happened lol. Nothing went on credit either lol.

I was dove hunting in coleman getting a beer out of the bed of my truck. Looked down and a rattlesnake was right beside my tire and foot. That was the closest I have been, brush makes it tough to see them up that way.
txhunter90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:17 PM   #5
Martin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson County and Oklahoma.

Copperhead bit me on the underside of my left wrist, very long story. Spent 2 days in ICU.
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:18 PM   #6
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Me. Twice and hundreds of near misses. But I catch them so that's to be expected.

3 day recovery in ICU on the first one. An hour in the hospital and I signed a release to go home on the 2nd one. I limped around for about a month but finally got over it. Was roofing houses two weeks after. It's a lot better/smarter to stay in the hospital. I voluntarily put myself on the live or die program the second go round.

Last edited by okrattler; 05-04-2021 at 02:23 PM.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:22 PM   #7
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

Not by snake
Got bit by a black widow spider on the forehead
It was a miserable 3 week recovery
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:23 PM   #8
Shortybang
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Eldorado and Victoria

I have been bitten twice. Once on the side foot by a cottonmouth that I stepped on while barefoot. The other bite was a copperhead that bit me on the back of my calf while wearing shorts and climbing over a pile of limbs on a trailer in a lean to shed that I had at the time. The cottonmouth was a dry bite however I was kept in the hospital overnight for observation and to be given IV with antibiotics. I was released before noon the next day. The ER was more worried about my blood pressure than the bite because it was extremely high because I was 17 or 18 years old and thought I was about to die. The ER nurse told me the snakebite was not going to kill me but my blood pressure at stroke level and that could kill me. The copperhead bite did inject some venom but not a lot. I had a lot of pain, swelling and nausea. Did not got to the ER for copperhead bite which was not the smartest move. I live in the country and I did go to my mother-in-laws house because the hospital was just a few blocks from her house. So if I did need to get to the hospital quickly because of bad symptoms I was at least close to it. I have had many other close calls. I do wear snakeboots now whenever I go to the deer lease. However many of the close calls I have had were NOT at the deer lease. The bites I had were about 15 years apart. I can assure you I do not want to experience that again.
Shortybang is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:23 PM   #9
outlook8
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

Rattlesnake, due to my own stupidity. Wild car ride to the hospital, several days in the ICU, 8 vials of antivenom and $49k I was good as new!
outlook8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:23 PM   #10
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Been lucky... Iíve almost been bit 3 times by rattlers closest one missed me by just inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:25 PM   #11
TMC50
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whereever I can

Ive been struck at once. Walking in the brush. Never saw it and it never rattled. Went into my jeans but did not go into the leather of my boot. I was lucky.

Close call was I was hunting a blind that I threw together quick. Sitting on a metal chair with bow on my lap. Felt something push against my boot and I slowly looked down and a rattle bug was between my legs.
TMC50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:27 PM   #12
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

My wife has three cousins who grew up playing baseball. One evening when it was almost dark her aunt (their mom) bent down and picked up a baseball belt one of the boys had left outside on the porch. It turned out to be a water moccasin that tagged her twice before she had time to drop it. Then she ended up being allergic to the antivenom and almost died.
bullets13 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:38 PM   #13
slayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Knox & Haskell County

Too many close calls to recant, but the worse was when I was 16 squirrel hunting, sit down on a log, leaned up next to a tree in the dark. At daylight, i feel something and look down to see a 3 foot Copperhead coiled up right between my feet. Just regular boots, I shot it right where I stood. Scared the crud out of me. . .played with cottonmouths as a teenager at our house in LaPorte. Stupid & Crazy.
slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:40 PM   #14
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Skeeter got hit by a copperhead about two years ago!!!
Landrover is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:42 PM   #15
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Not me but a guy I work with was hit by a copperhead a month ago and didnít realize it.
Got sick and arm swelled up so went to the dr. A Couple days later. Been fixing the rot and saving off infections since but other wise doing good and back to work.
He was moving rotten logs on his place in east Tx and when he got hit he thought a stem from the log he was carrying poked him in the bicept......so he drank more beer
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:44 PM   #16
7sdad
Ten Point

I use to be married does that count?
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:51 PM   #17
junior
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bell,Williamson,San Saba Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Not me but a guy I work with was hit by a copperhead a month ago and didnít realize it.
Got sick and arm swelled up so went to the dr. A Couple days later. Been fixing the rot and saving off infections since but other wise doing good and back to work.
He was moving rotten logs on his place in east Tx and when he got hit he thought a stem from the log he was carrying poked him in the bicept......so he drank more beer
Who was that Kirby?
junior is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:55 PM   #18
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Dad was bit by a rattlesnake at the age of 2 in Freer on Labor Day. They thought it was a dry bite.
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 03:03 PM   #19
Texas452
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burleson Coleman Leon counties

I got bit when I was 12 by a copper head he bit through a hole in my shoe and didn’t get me good.
I remember being real sleepy for 2 days.
My brother recently got hit by a maccosin it didn’t get him good either it was either dry or a warning bite he got sick to his stomach.
He walked out to his mule after dark and got bit I was armadillo hunting in a cotton wood bottom a mile or so from my friends house when I got bit.
We were both lucky!
Texas452 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 03:08 PM   #20
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

A few close calls but no. I have however, seen the aftermath - a hunting buddy got chomped on the hand by a rattler when he reached down to pick up a dove he'd shot. It never rattled. After seeing what he went through I have been super-careful.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 03:15 PM   #21
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
Skeeter got hit by a copperhead about two years ago!!!
Did he say ďHey Oscar! Watch thisĒ! ?
Hogmauler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 03:15 PM   #22
bulltx50
Ten Point

Hunt In: baylor,knox, McCulloch counties

Had some dove hunters in years ago and i was picking up a bird and caught one fang in the hand. Went to the ER, swelling but lucky for the most part. Working in the hunting field I have had too many close encounters to count.
bulltx50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 03:16 PM   #23
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

I got hit when I was 14. I was in a pair of flip flops. Bit me just up from the pinky toe.
Dad couldn’t find the snake. They think it was a water moccasin because the fang marks were about 3/4” apart.
I was in the hospital for a week. My foot swelled so much it was splitting the skin.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 03:22 PM   #24
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Who was that Kirby?
Heís at the fire department....wonít say his name I care he doesnít want it out there
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 03:32 PM   #25
brrdnk
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman,TX,Thurber & The "H" Some Years

Went to pick up some old gas cans that had been sitting out walked by a big oak tree thought I heard something went grabbed the cans when I came back by bam one of the cans exploded pooring out gas everywhere. A 6’ rattle bug had struck the dry rotted can instead of me thank God. I dropped the other screamed like a little girl high stepped to the truck to get my pistol but before I could get a shot it crawled under the barn.
But have been bit by a brown recluse on the calf. No fun there either.
brrdnk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 03:35 PM   #26
hogman$
Eight Point

Hunt In: West texas

I had a really close call a few years ago I pulled a camera that I had set about 20Ē from the ground on a tpost and had the strap wrapped around it what seemed like 400 times so while Iím swinging my hand around the camera and looking around for deer that may be around i here something flopped down and looked and there was a rattler stretched out to me and slowly curled back up I imagine he had to be within a few inches Iím still guessing he probably didnít quite reach me may because the plants or maybe because we had a pretty cool day that day here is a picture you can
see the snake in there still

hogman$ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 03:42 PM   #27
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Right out of high school while in college I installed DirecTV for a short time. I was at an old farm house that was pretty run down and yard overgrown. The gentleman who lived there walked with a cane and was pretty grumpy by nature. I took him outside to outline where I planned to install the dish. As we were walking around the house I felt what I thought was him hitting my ankle with his cane. I spun around and he was cured from his use of the cane. He was running knees to chest back to the porch. I looked down and a 42 foot rattler, probably more link 3 or 4 foot, but at the time it was the size of a telephone pole and twice as long. Curled up and struck again. I had Lace up Justin work boots on. The second hit hit the tow of my boot. Luckily neither went through the boot. I did pay better attention where I was walking after that.

Second encounter I had was not a near miss, but a nerve wracking. I was visiting a friend out of state. It was near dark. I needed something from the truck. I ran outside. They had a front porch that led to a sidewalk up to the carport. I came back to the house and rattle snake was stretched out under the front door. I must have stepped over her. Not him. Hims are nice. Hers can be mean. LOL. Immediately she curled up and started rattling.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 03:50 PM   #28
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

Forgot
Got drilled 100% through my big toe by a stingray barb broke off, required a hospital stay in Harlingen
And week on crutches

Very lucky with snakes so far

Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 05-04-2021 at 03:52 PM.
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 04:31 PM   #29
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Technically didn't get me. Did get my jeans. Venom on inside of pant leg. Rubbing on shin. Made for a nasty reaction, almost like a chemical burn.
Snake didn't make it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 04:32 PM   #30
Texaskid82
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking

ex wife count?
Texaskid82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 04:38 PM   #31
Aggiebow88
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas, Arkansas

7th grade, copperhead, little finger.
Week in hospital.
Would not recommend.
I can still tell when the weather is changing.
Aggiebow88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 04:43 PM   #32
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

In 3rd grade my friend Jeff got bit on the heel by a copperhead and spent the better part of a week in the hospital. He still describes it as the most pain he's ever been in, and this is a pretty tough guy.

A farrier friend of mine in Friendswood lost his lifetime best friend to a rattlesnake bite. His friend was putting out duck decoys and a rattler struck him on the forehead. He died before they could get him to the ER. His young son saw it and told the EMT's, "an arm big as my daddy's reached up and punched my dad right in the face."
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 04:44 PM   #33
Lostacresranch
Eight Point

Iíve been hit 3 times by cottonmouths. Once one hung to my lacrosse boots so we ran around like a square dance on fast forward for a while until his fangs broke off. They scratched me but all I had was a bit of burning and redness. The other 2 times they didnít get through the red wings. 2 were 2.5-3 footers. One was 5 ft, and when he hit me it was like a punch. A hard one.
Lostacresranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 04:45 PM   #34
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post

Beer saved his life.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 04:48 PM   #35
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Had a moccasin bite my boot several times while I was fishing. After about the 6th bite I looked down to see what was pecking on my boot!
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 04:50 PM   #36
riverbowman
Eight Point

Never got bit, but me and a buddy chased a rattler down a big hole in high school. I looked in there and couldn't see anything so I stuck my face down there for a closer look. Didn't realize his head was laying about 4 inches inside the hole. He blended in perfectly. Luckily for me he was not in a biting mood.
riverbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 04:56 PM   #37
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

I was in a krivoman stand this year with carpet in the bottom. Been in it about 30-40 minutes and see a tongue stick out from under the carpet. I had been sitting less then 2 feet from a 4' rattlesnake for over half an hour! I gave him the stand and right at dark my dad came down with a pistol and we took care of him. There was one small opening in the carpet and he had been chilling under there. My heart was beating for a good long while on that encounter.
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 05:10 PM   #38
spidermonkey
Ten Point

Hunt In: northeast and central texas

Yessir. Cottonmouth, upper arm, while wading and grabbin bullfrogs back in high school. So over 30 yrs ago. Wasnít a fun ride. Still have multiple close calls every year. Donít even kill em anymore unless I almost step on one, or they ďappearĒ to go out of their way to get in my path. Usually just let em slither on by, and continue my trek scouting or whatever. I always talk to em and say ďI let you slide, so donít go biting me while Iím walking in/out in the dark!Ē Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 05:19 PM   #39
TexaRican
Pope & Young

I hate this freakin thread. Itís copperhead time in my hood so Iíve been on edge already and now read this whole dang thing and need a drink.

TexaRican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 05:25 PM   #40
hoythunter02
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
Not by snake
Got bit by a black widow spider on the forehead
It was a miserable 3 week recovery
Do you have pics of this. Let's see pics if yall have them if these bites.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
hoythunter02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 05:26 PM   #41
spidermonkey
Ten Point

Hunt In: northeast and central texas

This guy was chillin in the leaves when I was putting up a stand last September. Got done hanging it, and had marked some small saplings/dead limbs I needed to break or cut when back on the ground. Was yanking a low hanging dead limb, and looked down bout 2í from my left foot and there he was. Sneaky suckers! First pic was zoomed in with me as close as I felt like heíd allow. Second pic is from prob just 5-6í away showing how those copperheads blend in to the leaves! Keep your eyes peeled brothers! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
Attached Images

spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 05:27 PM   #42
Wes Chaney
Eight Point

Hunt In: Victoria tx

Copperhead got me on the middle toe when I was about 10. Helped dad load up some old trash barrels, jumped in the bed of the truck for the ride and he came out of one of the barrels that was rusted through on the bottom, never saw it until he was hanging off my toe.. canít remember too much other then it wasnít much fun. Lol that toe still feels weird when I cut my toenails, like the tingling when a limb falls asleep and itís been 31 years ago

Wes Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 05:27 PM   #43
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I had two in a bucket about a month ago and I was just grabbing the handle in my palm and putting my fingers on the plastic lip that sticks out on the side and dumping them in a box. That bucket has spent countless hours in the sun and got brittle I guess because it broke and the bucket swung down with my hand on the handle which was now above the bucket. One snake struck and missed my hand by not very much. I've been struck at enough that it didn't necessarily scare me but it was close enough that I didn't like it. I had to set the bucket down and call myself a dumbass because that was a mistake that didn't need to happen.

The smallest of things can make a difference. I've always done that but I didn't ever think the bucket would break. But of course that's how it always is. I don't think something will happen until it does. I usually have at least one near miss a year huntin snakes. Normally it's almost stepping on one or something but I don't get many near misses on my hands. If that snake would have been just a little longer he would have got me.

Last edited by okrattler; 05-04-2021 at 05:31 PM.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 05:31 PM   #44
youngbuck1
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX/ND/S.A.

Had a rattler fall out of a t post driver that was left on the ground. That was interesting. Walked over several cotton mouths hunting grapevine. Had another raptor curl up on me while I was cutting firewood. Never struck but some close calls.
youngbuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 05:34 PM   #45
hoythunter02
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarleyBird View Post
In 3rd grade my friend Jeff got bit on the heel by a copperhead and spent the better part of a week in the hospital. He still describes it as the most pain he's ever been in, and this is a pretty tough guy.

A farrier friend of mine in Friendswood lost his lifetime best friend to a rattlesnake bite. His friend was putting out duck decoys and a rattler struck him on the forehead. He died before they could get him to the ER. His young son saw it and told the EMT's, "an arm big as my daddy's reached up and punched my dad right in the face."
**** that's crazy bud.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
hoythunter02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 05:37 PM   #46
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Close, but no bite. Stepped up a rock ledge at a deer lease near Sonora and a rattler rattled between my legs. Fortunately it was rather cool that morning and he was sluggish. Never knew I could jump that high, that far, that fast and still be standing!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 05:38 PM   #47
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

My closest encounter was back in high school, I was bow hunting one morning in October and it had been a chilly morning. I got ready to get down and decided to walk around a bit. Was walking the edge of my food plot when something at my feet caught my eye. I looked down and saw a bright white circle surrounded by a black circle lol. Took me a split second to realize I had just walked up on him and he was between my feet. I jumped back and let him go, he never struck at me though. I learned the reason why they are really called cottonmouths that morning. I had never seen one that up close before. My best guess is that it was still just a little too chilly for him to be more active and strike at me. Lucky I guess
texasdeerhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 05:47 PM   #48
ATXArcher
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burnet

I

ATXArcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 06:00 PM   #49
twosixteens
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion

Had a small 18 inch rattler hit my boot twice in Young county close to 20 years ago both times he got into the leather but not through the boot Danner Elk Hunters the inside of the boot had a yellowish stain where the fangs went in he didn’t survive the encounter
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 06:05 PM   #50
Mullet
Nubbin' Buck

Almost twice by rattlers, but never bit.

Once while thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail in the mountains of Massachusetts. Almost stepped on a Timber Rattler from 1 foot away. Struck, missed, no rattle... Would've been bad news since I was many, many miles from any road crossing.

Other time was more recent at a friend's land fishing a pond. Rattler slid right past me about 4 feet away & just kept going. Didn't even acknowledge I was there.
Mullet is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top