Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-04-2021, 12:04 PM   #1
Dave W
Ten Point

Hunt In: Crystal City
Default F150 tow capacity?

I have a 2020 F150 4wd with the 3.5 eco and the max trailer package, Roadmaster active suspension, and equilizer hitch .

I recently saw a used RV for sale that I like at a good price. The problem is its bigger /heavier than I wanted to tow.

It is a 32' model , 38' total, that weighs 7400# dry, 930# hitchweight

The truck has the GVWR 7000# package , curb weight of 4950#, a GCWR of 19400 and a max trailer rating of 12,500. Truck payload will not be much probably 750#. I dont know about the cargo weight of the trailer maybe 1,000#??
So according to those specs I think I am good.

How is it in real life? Any experiences?

I know its longer and a wind catcher . I had wanted to keep it less than 7000lbs
I have a 33' lightweight trailer <6000#, that blew me all over the road in a storm so I am gunshy.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 12:05 PM   #2
jaime1982
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co & anywhere I can

It's not what you can tow but what you can stop. Safely

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
jaime1982 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 12:08 PM   #3
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

My brother in law has a similar sized trailer, and I wouldnít want to pull it with anything less than a 3/4 ton. Weight wise itís towards the heavier end of your trucks capabilities, but size wise itís beyond. That long trailer will manhandle lighter trucks when then the wind gets to blowing or a semi blows past you.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 12:11 PM   #4
Bucknaked
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime1982 View Post

Yes This!
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 12:12 PM   #5
alien_scones
Six Point

Hunt In: Baird, Callahan, Howe

visit the brand camper forum ( example: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/ ) and you will find plenty of useful advice, most common will be it is ill-advised to approach your vehicle's maximum tow capacity.
alien_scones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 12:12 PM   #6
BigCohiba
Eight Point

Hunt In: Angelina County

You’re probably gonna get many differing opinions on this. Personally I would say that’s a bit on the large side for an F150. I tend to overkill everything though... A good friend of mine had a similar setup. He ended up putting bags on the truck and still wasn’t comfortable with it. Mainly white knuckles when having to make a quick stop - but also swayed a bit more than he liked at highway speeds.
BigCohiba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 12:16 PM   #7
Bucknaked
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCohiba View Post
Youíre probably gonna get many differing opinions on this. Personally I would say thatís a bit on the large side for an F150. I tend to overkill everything though... A good friend of mine had a similar setup. He ended up putting bags on the truck and still wasnít comfortable with it. Mainly white knuckles when having to make a quick stop - but also swayed a bit more than he liked at highway speeds.
The typical bags donít seem to help stability but are designed to level the load ( I guess this does help compared to a bumper dragging the ground)
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 12:19 PM   #8
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

Quote:

Flat land , zero wind , open roads, perfect weather
Subtract one and I would think twice
S-3 Ranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 12:23 PM   #9
imyomama
Ten Point

friend of mine was in same situation , he was getting 9mpg and struggling with his f150 eco ... he bought a new f250 super duty diesel and gets 13mpg and pulls much easier too ...

so it's doable , but much better in the long run with a SD.
imyomama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 12:27 PM   #10
bullhead44
Ten Point

I had a similar sized bumper pull toy hauler. It was about all I wanted to haul with a 3/4 ton. That would be a lot for a 150 in my opinion
bullhead44 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 12:30 PM   #11
bermise
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb county

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
My brother in law has a similar sized trailer, and I wouldnít want to pull it with anything less than a 3/4 ton. Weight wise itís towards the heavier end of your trucks capabilities, but size wise itís beyond. That long trailer will manhandle lighter trucks when then the wind gets to blowing or a semi blows past you.
I second this
bermise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 12:37 PM   #12
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking for a new lease!

I'd buy a bigger truck or a smaller trailer.
cj7zrcool is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 12:44 PM   #13
txtrophy85
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7zrcool View Post
Thats the way i would go.

I also think its gonna be too tongue heavy for the half ton
txtrophy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 12:46 PM   #14
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Quote:
Me too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 01:05 PM   #15
BigCountry101
Four Point

I have a trailer right about those specs.

I pulled it with a tundra for about 8 months then went to 3/4 chevy gasser. It's a night and day difference. Not necessarily on power, but now it always feels like I am pulling the trailer where before it was often more like the trailer was pushing me.

I would 100% get a bigger truck or a smaller trailer if I were in your shoes.
BigCountry101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 01:12 PM   #16
FVR JR
Eight Point

Hunt In: Secret

Trailer weight ratings are calculated using perfect conditions and just like MPG ratings are manipulated for bragging rights. An F150 "can pull" 12,500 lbs, but a Tundra is rated at 10,000 for instance. Sounds like a huge difference, but in the real world neither one of those half tons will be comfortable or arguably safe with that kind of weight. An ecoboost/10 speed will get going faster than the 5.7/6 speed because of the torque difference, but neither one of them will stop as safe as a 3/4 ton. Get a bigger truck.

Last edited by FVR JR; 05-04-2021 at 01:14 PM.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 01:17 PM   #17
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermise View Post
I second this

I third this. The truck will pull it and stop it (electric brakes) but it absolutely not going to be an enjoyable towing experience. Youíll be worn out every time you tow it from fighting wind sway and just overall stability. And a trailer that big will absolutely drag a truck around in a panic maneuver.

You donít have to get a diesel but Iíd definitely step up to at least a 250/2500 truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Mike D; 05-04-2021 at 01:26 PM.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 01:32 PM   #18
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I have a 2020 F150 4wd with the 3.5 eco and the max trailer package, Roadmaster active suspension, and equilizer hitch .

I recently saw a used RV for sale that I like at a good price. The problem is its bigger /heavier than I wanted to tow.

It is a 32' model , 38' total, that weighs 7400# dry, 930# hitchweight

The truck has the GVWR 7000# package , curb weight of 4950#, a GCWR of 19400 and a max trailer rating of 12,500. Truck payload will not be much probably 750#. I dont know about the cargo weight of the trailer maybe 1,000#??
So according to those specs I think I am good.

How is it in real life? Any experiences?

I know its longer and a wind catcher . I had wanted to keep it less than 7000lbs
I have a 33' lightweight trailer <6000#, that blew me all over the road in a storm so I am gunshy.

I have quite a bit of experience towing with f150 Eco. Have towed a 26 foot box, 31 foot overall travel trailer all over the country. From Texas to Maine, Alabama to Idaho. Made round trip here to Idaho twice last year with it.

Here are my thoughts. The weight won't be that much of a issue. Getting your sway and wind deflection will be a bigger issue. No experience with the equalizer hitch but hitch setup is paramount. No truck will tow a travel trailer correctly with a bad hitch setup.

I know I was safely setup, and would tow across country again. Bow waves off 18 wheelers were tolerable and braking was fantastic, not sure what the commenters are talking about when doubting stopping ability (maybe they don't pull trailers with functional brakes?). If I turned the gain up the trailer would start pulling on the truck during braking. That said, what you are talking about is a BIG trailer with a lot of wind loading. I would select a smaller trailer, or trade your basically new truck back in and get a SD and a fifth wheel. Caveat to that is if you are only planning 4 or 5 hour in Texas day trips. But if you are planning on driving across the country through mountain winds etc, that is a different story. We are planning on getting rid of our travel trailer and getting a SD fifth wheel combo in the next few years.
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 01:34 PM   #19
Raider4044
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

No way I'd pull that with a 1/2 ton. It will pull it, but a bumper-pull that long is going to sway like all hell in any kind of wind. As Mike D said, you don't necessarily need a diesel, but I'd definitely step up to at least a 3/4 ton gasser.

Last edited by Raider4044; 05-04-2021 at 01:38 PM.
Raider4044 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 01:41 PM   #20
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

Don't do it!
TeamAmerica is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:57 PM   #21
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX

Quote:

Yep.... donít let a lack of good judgement be the reason you or someone else gets hurt or worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 03:22 PM   #22
BigL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I have a similar setup, except my truck is the 5.0l v8 engine. I've towed it to Nashville and back then to Orlando and back. I limit my driving each day to about 400 miles per day because it wears me out. I also have the best weight distribution sway control money will buy with the 4 way sway control. Without it, I wouldn't consider it.

It's doable but not enjoyable. High winds really suck.

Once divorce is final and I'm not living in it, I may either sell mine or get a bigger truck. Just waiting to see what this divorce costs me before I decide whats next

Last edited by BigL; 05-04-2021 at 03:26 PM.
BigL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 03:25 PM   #23
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:

This
That truck will pull it but I would not want to be trying to manage that size camper On a steep grade or high wind much less wet road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
OldRiverRat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 04:11 PM   #24
bowfishin fool
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper Tx, Cuero TX

Quote:

This is right on, Dad and I pull a skid steer and cattle and all kinds of stuff with our 1/2 tons. The one exception is box trailers and RVís... that huge wind shear is a game changer.

Itís doable and Iíve had a 32í RV that was a real pain with my ecoboost, had to do 60-65 to be safe and itís was awfully squirrelly. Got to where Iíd rather get a hotel or tent camp, traded for a 24í RV and now we take it everywhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bowfishin fool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 04:21 PM   #25
160class
Ten Point

Hunt In: Searching..

My company owns a similar size TT that I have pulled, there are only 2 of us that are authorized to pull the trailer and I am the only one that will pull it as I am the only one with a 3/4 ton truck. Yes a F150 can pull it and stop it with the correct setting on the trailer brakes. But that thing will blow a truck all over the road when taking it out to WTX on I-10 or I-20, it is not a comfortable drive pulling it.

So with all of that said, I would either not get that trailer, or I would go trade in the truck and get at least a 3/4 ton truck, preferably a LWB with air bags.
160class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 04:25 PM   #26
BlackoutRam2500
Eight Point

Speaking from experience I wouldn't do it. I made the mistake of pulling a 31 footer that was in spec of my Yukon XL Denali. No issues in Texas or Kansas... the problems started when I tried pulling it in the Colorado mountains. That decision cost me over $4,000 in a differential replacements.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
BlackoutRam2500 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 04:47 PM   #27
boy wonder
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My dreams!

White nuckle driving in any wind!
boy wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 04:49 PM   #28
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

It's going to be a white knuckle pull most of the time if you do...
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 05:05 PM   #29
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

I tow a lot from tractor trailers down and there is no way I would consider that set up.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 05:12 PM   #30
Easttxbowman
Ten Point

No way in heck I would go that big. IMO anything over 30' box is pushing a 1/2ton.
Easttxbowman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 05:30 PM   #31
Pope
Six Point

Hunt In: Coleman

I towed a 31 Cape Horn loaded with fuel with the ecoboost. It wasn’t my truck, but I wouldn’t have done that over any real distance. I towed it 20 or so miles and never broke 50mph. I am guessing it was 7,000lbs loaded and 36ft on the trailer. I launched the boat and pulled it out in 4x4 with no problems. It was just too long and heavy to consider any distance.
I also towed a 26 Robalo with the same truck. That was probably 5,000lb loaded and probably 30ft on the trailer. I towed it 250 miles with no problem at all.
I use the rule of halves. Half the max weight is the max and longer than 30ft is tough on a 1/2 ton.
Pope is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 05:48 PM   #32
Dave W
Ten Point

Hunt In: Crystal City

yeah kind of what I figured
There is a smaller 28' (33 total) that is 6500#
its similar to what i have now but heavier
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 06:33 PM   #33
MisterB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I wouldn’t advise it. Once you add water to the trailer, all your gear, in the trailer and in the truck, plus the weight of you and your passengers, you will be way over your max load capacity of your truck. Also, if you exceed your max load capacity for the truck and have an accident your insurance company can refuse to pay.
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 08:37 PM   #34
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
yeah kind of what I figured
There is a smaller 28' (33 total) that is 6500#
its similar to what i have now but heavier

Despite what the sales people tell you weight is your friend with an RV. The biggest issue with towing bumper pull RV is they large and catch a lot of side wind/gusts and have little weight to resist it. This wind can be weather related or from passing trucks but either way your fighting sway.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 09:21 PM   #35
Oleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Think! NO WAY.. You have advice from us all, and do not attempt to pull that large camper with a F-150.
Oleman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 09:58 PM   #36
mzurovec
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet

I hauled a very similar rig with a 3/4 ton 2020 Duramax and it was fine, but not what I'd call enjoyable to pull. Long, heavy, and sagged a lot. Bought a 37' fifth wheel (10,200lbs dry) and it was night and day difference in ease of towing. If I was buying a bumper pull for an F150 (last I had was a 2019 3.5L Ecoboost which I was impressed with), I'd go quite a bit smaller. Good luck!
mzurovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 10:02 PM   #37
mrc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young and Jack

It's not really the weight, or the brakes it is the truck itself. They are not designed to handle the sway of the trailer. I drove a F150 with the 5.0 for seven years and pulled all kinds of loads, the platform is not designed to handle that kind of a load. In perfect circumstances on a 50 mile run it is fine, but if you have an emergency there will be problems. The body roll will get you every time, the weight of the trailer bouncing will pick your rear end off of the ground.
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2021, 06:16 AM   #38
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Way too much trailer for your 1/2 ton truck. The tongue/hitch weight alone will put you over GVWR with 4 people and a tank full of fuel. That length of trailer will put your half ton in a ditch with a good crosswind regardless off sway bars or trailer sway control.
Sackett is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2021, 06:34 AM   #39
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonora

I have a 32'camper and a Ram 1500. rated for max trailer of 10,900 lbs. it is a couple thousand lbs under truck rating. It is a lease camper. I pulled it to the lease (7 hour trip) after i bought it. It did OK, was fine for that trip, but i realized if i was pulling it on a regular basis, i would want more truck.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2021, 11:20 AM   #40
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pow Pow!

Quote:
Yup....or just be prepared to have a crappy day when you hook up the trailer every time.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2021, 11:31 AM   #41
DS_1974
Ten Point

No way. That kinda weight requires a 3/4 ton, and preferably diesel.
DS_1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2021, 04:58 PM   #42
JhuntsAlot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Houston County, Madison County, Kendall County, where friends are.

I got a 32' travel trailer for a hunting lease about 5 years ago and have pulled it a hand full of times with my 2016 F150 Eco Boost. Recently moved to a new lease just before the winter storm.

Even with the sway control/leveling hitch it is not a comfortable drive. And thats completely empty, I mean nothing inside. Cant imagine trying to load it up with supplies and driving it long distance.

Every time I move it I look into F250's to possibly buy. Then I soon realize my bank roll is not suitable for what the travel trailer vacation lifestyle requires.

J
JhuntsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top