Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-03-2021, 06:45 PM   #1
trophy8
Pope & Young

Default Hospitals with antivenom

I’m by myself a lot at the ranch. Between Mason and Brady. Where can I find a list of where to go that has antivenom? I googled with no luck. Would be handy for all of us to know in case you get snake bit.
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 06:48 PM   #2
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

No idea how it works...I know it has a shelf life with the stories of of folks in Starr Co getting bit & having to get to Hidalgo to receive over the years. Maybe things have changed but good to be proactive.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 06:50 PM   #3
droebuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano, Montgomery

Just call the hospitals in the area and ask them. My wife does that in the area of our lease, when we were in London the ER in Junction told her they had it on hand. In Menard she talked to San Angelo. I’d bet the ER in Brady would have it.
droebuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 06:55 PM   #4
RR 314
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Iím by myself a lot at the ranch. Between Mason and Brady. Where can I find a list of where to go that has antivenom? I googled with no luck. Would be handy for all of us to know in case you get snake bit.
I know Llano Baylor Scott & White has it. I got hit about four or five years ago, called a doctor friend, and he told me to calm down and relax and send him a picture of the bite. 😂. He told me do not go to the hospital unless I had to. His line was, ďHell, in Llano they may kill youóthen send your wife the bill.Ē The serpent died and I drove into town and sat at chicken express to make sure I didnít die. Waited there for about an hour than drove home. Lips went numb, ankle swelled (hit high on shin) and life was good. He did call and confirmed they had it in Llano.
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 06:56 PM   #5
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Donít mess with snakes and you have no worry
Passthrough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 07:18 PM   #6
TX Doc
Eight Point

Hunt In: Abilene

You would have to call each hospital. Most small hospitals won’t carry it due to the cost. It would just expire and then you’re out thousands of dollars. Plus if a patient is in bad shape and needs a fasciotomy you need a general surgeon or orthopedic surgeon. A lot of rural hospitals don’t even have an operating room.
TX Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 07:48 PM   #7
jmac24
Six Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

We used to hunt in Melvin, right near Brady and we were told that the Brady ER on the western edge of town could take care of us if we got bit.
jmac24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 07:58 PM   #8
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

I have a friend that raises Bushmasters. I think he said he’s one two in the U S that raises and sell these things. I asked my wife who works in ER why he doesn’t keep any anti venom on hand. He’s making bank $60-70,000 per year selling bushmasters alone. Turns out it mega expensive and is administered by the vial. They had a patient that required 10 vials once. So I can see , considering the expense, that some rural hospitals may not have it. What they use is called Crofab. And I don’t know if I spelled that right either. I think it’s wise to do what your doing T. Never hurts to have a plan.
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 08:02 PM   #9
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

San Angelo for sure
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 08:07 PM   #10
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

Pretty sure they have it in Brady
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 08:09 PM   #11
SabineHunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR 314 View Post
I know Llano Baylor Scott & White has it. I got hit about four or five years ago, called a doctor friend, and he told me to calm down and relax and send him a picture of the bite. 😂. He told me do not go to the hospital unless I had to. His line was, ďHell, in Llano they may kill youóthen send your wife the bill.Ē The serpent died and I drove into town and sat at chicken express to make sure I didnít die. Waited there for about an hour than drove home. Lips went numb, ankle swelled (hit high on shin) and life was good. He did call and confirmed they had it in Llano.
This!!! T8, you won't die, only 6 people died last year but if you took the antivenom, you'll be broke forever.
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 08:25 PM   #12
hopedale
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WMAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Iím by myself a lot at the ranch. Between Mason and Brady. Where can I find a list of where to go that has antivenom? I googled with no luck. Would be handy for all of us to know in case you get snake bit.
Why would it be handy for all of us to know where you need to go if you get snake bit?
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 08:25 PM   #13
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

If you get bit , I doubt the medical center would risk administration of the serum, I hear it’s got some major problems with side effects
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 08:27 PM   #14
Walker
Ten Point

I'd get on with Life Flight
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 08:29 PM   #15
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Good thing to know in my opinion Matt. Can never be too sure how to keep yourself alive when the need arises.
If you ever in San Antonio and need it, only one Godoy in all of San Antonio has it. North central baptist.
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 08:31 PM   #16
Slabby
Four Point

A nurse friend told us there is an app that shows real time availability. I don't remember the name but its out there. Just because a hospital typically has inventory, doesn't mean they do when you need it
Slabby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 08:34 PM   #17
Slabby
Four Point

^^^I think its called snakebite 911
Slabby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 08:35 PM   #18
67olds442
Ten Point

Finally something I think I can get near where I hunt in Sweetwater.
67olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 09:03 PM   #19
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Dang Matt, I was thinking you got zapped by a snake when I first read that. Hope you did not.

Unless you get hit in the neck, face or chest, or you are allergic to the venom, it should not kill you. I have been popped once, everyone I told about the deal said it had to be a dry bite. I was on a farm about 10 miles west of Kennedy, back in the 80s, I was about 15 at the time. No form of transportation, other than I guess I could have stole Mr. Johnsons tractor. I did not think about that at the time. I spent a lot of time trying to decide if I should break the glass on their kitchen door to get in and use there phone. They were out of town for the week, of all weeks for them to be gone.

I sat around for hours waiting for the bite to get worse, it never did. The pain finally faded, all was good by that evening. Definitely scared the crap out of me. I will never forget that very high speed buzz and then loud pop.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 09:06 PM   #20
Austin
Ten Point

I would think Brady ER or Hill Country Memorial in Fredericksburg or San Angelo possibly Ballinger going the other way. I would call the nearest med facilities in your area and ask.

Also definitely carry medical evac ins like MASA itís super cheap and will cover the cost of getting your rear from the sticks to where you need to be
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 09:12 PM   #21
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pow Pow!

You ain't gonna get bit unless you're stupid.....
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 09:45 PM   #22
Oleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
STUPID? Come-on Traildust, That is a stupid reply. You know it can happen to anyone walking in the woods.
Oleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 09:51 PM   #23
jaspermac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Doole

I have a friend that got bit last year and they treated him in San Angelo. Walked outside to feed the dogs at night and stepped on one with crocs on.
jaspermac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 09:56 PM   #24
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Mason, Brady, llano, San Saba, Goldthwaite , junction , Menard, Fredericksburg , all have it either at the hospital or emergency clinics
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 10:11 PM   #25
BrandonA
Pope & Young

I’ve grown up in the country and have killed countless of rattlesnakes you are most likely to get hit on your hand than leg or ankle.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:50 AM   #26
DJM
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills Co,Coryell Co,Lampasas Co

https://crofab.com/Locating-and-Orde...s=Texas,%20USA

Just type in your location.

DJ
DJM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 06:01 AM   #27
db@100
Ten Point

My wife got bit on the foot by a copperhead and the poor snake died.
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 06:27 AM   #28
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
If you get bit , I doubt the medical center would risk administration of the serum, I hear itís got some major problems with side effects
My wife said the same thing last night regarding side effects.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:43 AM   #29
Jethro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Loco, Quail, Lutie, Needwood.

My wife is the administrator of a rural TX hospital. Also had one of my employees get bit a few years ago. He got hit by a medium sized rattler curled up under a rose bush at his house. He got bit on th finger and the swelling went all the way up his arm to his shoulder. He said it took 11 doses to get him back on track and it was about $100K worth.

Anyways, lots of the rural hospitals have at least a few doses. Yes, each dose is expensive, and they can go out of date. And you may need quite a few doses, like 5-10. So most rural hospitals keep a few, but know what other hospitals around them have more. They pool together if needed. They have enough on hand for initial treatment but can get more transferred in quickly. The regional medical centers will have more. At least that is how it works up here. Saves overhead and helps to keep from having some much stock that goes out of date.

Lots of variation in snake bites and how people react to them. From nearly nothing to very serious.

Last edited by Jethro; 05-04-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 11:35 AM   #30
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmauler View Post
My wife said the same thing last night regarding side effects.
My father is allergic to it , or at least when it was made from horse blood
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 11:44 AM   #31
Jscott1112
Four Point

Hunt In: Coke & Erath County

Most rurals hospitals in Texas have a few doses ready to go. That gives them time to monitor you while decided where to send you or how to get more if needed.
Jscott1112 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 01:25 PM   #32
EmergencyDoc
Spike

Hunt In: Brady

Great topic with some misleading information posted.

CroFab is the anti venom that is used today in America and it is derived from Sheep so the side effect profile is pretty much non existent. This compared with the previous horse serum derived anti venom that did have potential life threatening side effects but that was well over a decade ago. So if anyone tells you don’t take CroFab because of the side effects is not up to speed on the current treatment.

Along the lines of treatment- if a surgeon tries to perform a fasciotomy for swelling, slap him. The treatment is more CroFab. Surgery no longer has a role in snake envenomation.

The old way of thinking was to not treat copperhead envenomations because there was no mortality risk, this has changed in the last 15 years with a couple of well documented copperhead envenomation related deaths. Having said that, the main reason we treat copperhead envenomation is the morbidity. It can cause extensive swelling to extremities thus potentially cutting off blood flow to them. This is corrected with CroFab.

So if you get tagged by a rattlesnake, copperhead, cottonmouth and present to the ER you will get labs including coagulation studies done as it is a hemotoxin. If you get tagged by a cottonmouth or rattlesnake with any sign of envenomation whether physically or lab wise you get CroFab. If you get tagged by a copperhead with any lab alteration to support envenomation OR progressive swelling of an extremity OR obvious vascular compromise of an extremity due to swelling OR a hand envenomation you will get CroFab.

Yes CroFab is stupid expensive but luckily 20-25% of these bites are dry.

CroFab does not work for coral snakes but in Texas they are usually pretty benign and have a dry bite rate around 60%. The further east you go the more toxic the venom for coral snakes...

Hope this helps

And don’t waste your money on the snake venom extractor kits
EmergencyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:03 PM   #33
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
This doesn't help when looking for a lease, JMO of course.
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:05 PM   #34
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCulloch County

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyDoc View Post

CroFab is the anti venom that is used today in America and it is derived from Sheep so the side effect profile is pretty much non existent. This compared with the previous horse serum derived anti venom that did have potential life threatening side effects but that was well over a decade ago. So if anyone tells you donít take CroFab because of the side effects is not up to speed on the current treatment.

Along the lines of treatment- if a surgeon tries to perform a fasciotomy for swelling, slap him. The treatment is more CroFab. Surgery no longer has a role in snake envenomation.

The old way of thinking was to not treat copperhead envenomations because there was no mortality risk, this has changed in the last 15 years with a couple of well documented copperhead envenomation related deaths. Having said that, the main reason we treat copperhead envenomation is the morbidity. It can cause extensive swelling to extremities thus potentially cutting off blood flow to them. This is corrected with CroFab.

So if you get tagged by a rattlesnake, copperhead, cottonmouth and present to the ER you will get labs including coagulation studies done as it is a hemotoxin. If you get tagged by a cottonmouth or rattlesnake with any sign of envenomation whether physically or lab wise you get CroFab. If you get tagged by a copperhead with any lab alteration to support envenomation OR progressive swelling of an extremity OR obvious vascular compromise of an extremity due to swelling OR a hand envenomation you will get CroFab.

CroFab does not work for coral snakes but in Texas they are usually pretty benign and have a dry bite rate around 60%. The further east you go the more toxic the venom for coral snakes...

Hope this helps

And donít waste your money on the snake venom extractor kits

Thank you for saving me some typing. I am in the trauma department at a Level 1 trauma center and this is all correct information based on what we do here.
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:15 PM   #35
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Makes you wonder if a snakes knows the difference between a defensive bite and a hunting bite. crazy.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:38 PM   #36
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:

CroFab is the anti venom that is used today in America and it is derived from Sheep so the side effect profile is pretty much non existent. This compared with the previous horse serum derived anti venom that did have potential life threatening side effects but that was well over a decade ago. So if anyone tells you donít take CroFab because of the side effects is not up to speed on the current treatment.

Hope this helps

Thank you for the info!
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 05:14 PM   #37
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:28 PM   #38
wellingtontx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Collingsworth County, Texas

Good Info from Jethro and our new ER Doc
wellingtontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 05:33 PM   #39
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NW of Dallas

Quote:

Hope this helps

Great info.....thank you!!!
TexasCanesFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 08:10 PM   #40
SabineHunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleman View Post
STUPID? Come-on Traildust, That is a stupid reply. You know it can happen to anyone walking in the woods.
Duh, that's why they make snake boots. When in snake country, always wear snake boots. Right on Traildust.
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 08:22 PM   #41
lilavidhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs

Quote:

Hope this helps

Thanks for this. Hope you hang around the Campfire a bit more. You would be a Hell of a Contributor. And probably have some pretty good stories.
lilavidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 08:29 PM   #42
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineHunter View Post
Duh, that's why they make snake boots. When in snake country, always wear snake boots. Right on Traildust.
That was a poke a Matt (OP)....I forgot how thin skinned we get on this site sometimes!

Some folks are just accident prone too.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:30 PM   #43
Traildust
Pope & Young

Matt, just call 911
Old 05-04-2021, 08:46 PM   #44
deerwatcher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM View Post
Good site....thanks for sharing.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 09:07 PM   #45
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineHunter View Post
Just about anywhere in Rural Texas is snake country. I live in a subdivision now in Buchanan Dam and have killed one. Iím not gonna wear snake boots around my house. At the ranch I wear them if out in the pasture but not around the main house. I guess growing up in the country Iíve just always been taught to look down