Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 05-04-2021, 02:41 PM   #51
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Great. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoBull View Post
But, to the OP's question, between the Accubond and BT, I will take the Accubond over the BT. And, the 7mm Mag shoots a 140 gr bullet really well.
And thank you for the information too. My line of thinking in going with a 160 bullet would be to slow it down some so it has a chance to expand some and not just punch right through. Would an Accubond be acceptable for this as well?
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:46 PM   #52
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
Great. Thank you.

And thank you for the information too. My line of thinking in going with a 160 bullet would be to slow it down some so it has a chance to expand some and not just punch right through. Would an Accubond be acceptable for this as well?
Youíre thinking wrong. Speed INCREASES expansion. As mentioned before, thatís the reason for the minimum FPS threshold on bullets. Needs X FPS to expand. Increase that and increase expansion.

Bullets not expanding happen with a well constructed Bullet designed for penetration and only hitting soft tissue. Iíd wager that most all ďthrough and throughĒ shots that didnít expand where guys shooting lungs and likely didnít hit a rib or hit a small part of one. Put that Bullet in the shoulder and it changes things.

Bonded bullets needs impact to open. Heavier bullets penetrate further depending on speed.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:47 PM   #53
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
I wish somebody would have told me that a 7mm mag don't kill worth a crap sooner. Over 40 years shooting one and it has worked just fine for me. And with cup and core bullets at that. But I don't gut shoot. I don't know what the best bullet for doing that happens to be. Hit them in the right place and down they go. Hit them in the shoulder and that bullets works great. Hit them in the gut and blame that sorry azz bullet for not working right.
Preach it. PREACH IT!
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:47 PM   #54
Yelladog
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzurovec View Post
6.5 PRC, 486 yards, estimated impact velocity around 2350FPS. Straight through the lungs in Unit 10, New Mexico.

Thanks for posting. I picked up a 6.5 RPM so far the 127 LRX is all I have for it but havenít hunted with it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yelladog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:48 PM   #55
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
I don’t buy into this theory AT ALL. Velocity is what makes a traditional Bullet expand, that’s why they have a minimum velocity expansion threshold. The upper velocity threshold represents the maximum velocity that the bullet would hold together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agreed. The slower you go, the less expansion you'll get. That's why they make the AccuBond Long Range. It's thinner walled than the regular AB, so it will expand at longer range - after the bullet slows down.

Ballistic Tips are not hunting bullets. They're more for target shooting (not bonded, so they fragment more). Stick with ABs for hunting bullets. I've shot both 140s and 160s out of my 7mags. Killed whitetail, mule deer, pigs, aoudad, axis, and desert bighorn (140gr) with them, and nothing but great performance from either weight.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 03:36 PM   #56
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
You’re thinking wrong. Speed INCREASES expansion. As mentioned before, that’s the reason for the minimum FPS threshold on bullets. Needs X FPS to expand. Increase that and increase expansion.

Bullets not expanding happen with a well constructed Bullet designed for penetration and only hitting soft tissue. I’d wager that most all “through and through” shots that didn’t expand where guys shooting lungs and likely didn’t hit a rib or hit a small part of one. Put that Bullet in the shoulder and it changes things.

Bonded bullets needs impact to open. Heavier bullets penetrate further depending on speed.
Ah. Thank you for setting me straight about the whole expansion needs speed thing.

Do those Barnes TTSX fall under the bonded bullet label? What about these Sierra Game Kings? Are they bonded?

Last edited by Etxbuckman; 05-04-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:38 PM   #57
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Agreed. The slower you go, the less expansion you'll get. That's why they make the AccuBond Long Range. It's thinner walled than the regular AB, so it will expand at longer range - after the bullet slows down.

Ballistic Tips are not hunting bullets. They're more for target shooting (not bonded, so they fragment more). Stick with ABs for hunting bullets. I've shot both 140s and 160s out of my 7mags. Killed whitetail, mule deer, pigs, aoudad, axis, and desert bighorn (140gr) with them, and nothing but great performance from either weight.
So no discernable difference between the 140 and 160 grain?

On a related note, I must say BT's have served me very well out of my 7mm-08. Nasty blood trails for anything that isn't DRT. I just can't find what I'm looking for in these right now.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:16 PM   #58
Shane
Pope & Young

The BT would probably hold together better on a slower load like that. But in a magnum caliber, they'll blow apart too much for my liking.

On deer sized game out to 400 yards, everything has been DRT for me. I can't tell any difference. Shot placement, of course, is a big part of that. I don't just shoot ribs and lungs. I shoot the front shoulder in the middle of the crease where the necks ties in. You hit spine and usually top of the heart, and sometimes offside shoulder too if they're quartering to you some. Puts em in the dirt in their tracks. ABs expand, retain weight, and kill as effectively as Partitions. I like the boat tail design of the AB a little better.

On elk sized game, the 160s would be best, I'm sure. But I have no doubt a 140 would kill an elk too.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2021, 05:00 PM   #59
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
Ah. Thank you for setting me straight about the whole expansion needs speed thing.

Do those Barnes TTSX fall under the bonded bullet label? What about these Sierra Game Kings? Are they bonded?
TTSX is a solid copper bullet with a hole, if you will, drilled part way down the into the center and a polymer tip inserted into the hole. The inside of said hole has lines scored into it so that on impact the tip drive back into the cavity to split the bullet nose into 4 petals which peel back and increases the diameter by 2x and helping create a large wound cavity which creates a huge amount of hydraulic shock in the liquid parts of the animals body. The TTSX by design expands much easier than the TSX hollow point. TTSX and TSX both work much better when hitting where there is some resistance like shoulder bones etc. For a body shot that hit between the ribs and encounters no resistance that animal will not go down until it runs out of air and or blood. I really like both for shooting hogs especially thru the shoulders. Hogs are DRT when hit with these bullets. The exception might be the tiny little ice pick calibers that may only pizz them off.
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 05:31 PM   #60
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post

Ballistic Tips are not hunting bullets.
Wait? What? That is factually incorrect. They are great hunting bullets. Iíve killed several hundred deer with the Nosler 7mm 120 grain ballistic tips. In both 7 mag and 7mm08. I like it because it has a thicker jacket than the 140 grain. I use it because itís the best bullet ever made for deer hunting.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 05:38 PM   #61
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

https://shop.nosler.com/nosler-bulle...llet-50ct.html
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 06:16 PM   #62
Shane
Pope & Young

I should have said, IMO BTs are not the best hunting bullets. I like bullets that retain more weight and don't fragment. I shoot magnum calibers at 3,200 fps+, so a bullet that isn't built like a tank fragments at those velocities. I'm sure a lot of people do just fine with BTs in standard calibers. But the OP was talking about a 7mag.

I will occasionally load a few BTs that are the same size/weight as my ABs just so I'll have something a little cheaper to practice with or to sight in a scope with. They fly the same. They just don't behave the same once they hit a deer - especially at higher velocities.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:17 PM   #63
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Wait? What? That is factually incorrect. They are great hunting bullets. Iíve killed several hundred deer with the Nosler 7mm 120 grain ballistic tips. In both 7 mag and 7mm08. I like it because it has a thicker jacket than the 140 grain. I use it because itís the best bullet ever made for deer hunting.
100% agree it is the best deer bullet ever made. Does not destroy that much meat and breaks bones and blows a big enuff hole so all the blood runs out quick. And lastly they are way mo accurate than Hornady bullets out of my guns.
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top