Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2021, 07:43 PM   #1
Silentnight
Four Point
 
Silentnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Central TX
Hunt In: Jourdanton/S. Texas
Default NX8 2.5-20 vs Mk5HD 3.6-18

Looking at these two scopes to put on a kids/truck gun.

Anyone have both? Opinions? Glass about the same?
Silentnight is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 09:18 PM   #2
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

My issue with the MK5HD is the reticle options suck for a hunting/target rifle. Good glass, good turrets, and a reasonable sized package. The NX8 IMO has slightly better glass, much better reticles, and solid turrets as usual for a NF. Their issues are tight eyeboxes and finicky parallax. I owned the NX8 2.5-20 for about 6 months, and have a decent bit of time behind the MK5s. My conclusion was I’d just snag another ATACR 4-16 if I was in the market for another similar sized optic.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 09:32 PM   #3
HTOWN
Six Point
 
HTOWN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Texas city
Hunt In: ROCKSPRINGS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
My issue with the MK5HD is the reticle options suck for a hunting/target rifle. Good glass, good turrets, and a reasonable sized package. The NX8 IMO has slightly better glass, much better reticles, and solid turrets as usual for a NF. Their issues are tight eyeboxes and finicky parallax. I owned the NX8 2.5-20 for about 6 months, and have a decent bit of time behind the MK5s. My conclusion was Iíd just snag another ATACR 4-16 if I was in the market for another similar sized optic.

What he said! I have a NX8, but the 4x32. Have had it for about 6 months myself. Love the scope. I'd pass on the ATACR myself, just to heavy for my liking, but if it was just for a bench gun I'd buy one.
HTOWN is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 09:42 PM   #4
Bullseye07
Ten Point
 
Bullseye07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Celina
Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos
Default

Too much/too nice of scopes for a kids/truck gun IMO. Iíd be looking much cheaper.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bullseye07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 10:23 PM   #5
Silentnight
Four Point
 
Silentnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Central TX
Hunt In: Jourdanton/S. Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
My issue with the MK5HD is the reticle options suck for a hunting/target rifle. Good glass, good turrets, and a reasonable sized package. The NX8 IMO has slightly better glass, much better reticles, and solid turrets as usual for a NF. Their issues are tight eyeboxes and finicky parallax. I owned the NX8 2.5-20 for about 6 months, and have a decent bit of time behind the MK5s. My conclusion was Iíd just snag another ATACR 4-16 if I was in the market for another similar sized optic.
Which reticle do you like in your NF for a hunting rig?
Silentnight is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 10:26 PM   #6
Silentnight
Four Point
 
Silentnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Central TX
Hunt In: Jourdanton/S. Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTOWN View Post
What he said! I have a NX8, but the 4x32. Have had it for about 6 months myself. Love the scope. I'd pass on the ATACR myself, just to heavy for my liking, but if it was just for a bench gun I'd buy one.
Weight difference isnít much between the 3.

Mk5 - 26oz
NX8 - 28oz
ATACR - 30oz

I was leaning toward the Mk5 because it is the lightest of the three. And I can usually get a pretty good deal on Leupold.
Silentnight is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 10:40 PM   #7
hoyt21
Ten Point
 
hoyt21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Palito blanco, tx
Hunt In: Ben Bolt, Tx
Default

I’m exact opposite of rubbi on this. I’ve ran a mark 6 for years and have a mark 5 for the past year and a half. I love the tmr reticle for hunting. Ffp is a must for me and I believe the mark5 to be clearer then the nx8. Ginger trophy8 has my old nx8 he likes it I didn’t. The reticle is unusable at below 5x and was a huge turn off. Glass always had a halo for me also. I’d go mark5 but imma leupold
Guy.
hoyt21 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 11:00 PM   #8
Silentnight
Four Point
 
Silentnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Central TX
Hunt In: Jourdanton/S. Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt21 View Post
Iím exact opposite of rubbi on this. Iíve ran a mark 6 for years and have a mark 5 for the past year and a half. I love the tmr reticle for hunting. Ffp is a must for me and I believe the mark5 to be clearer then the nx8. Ginger trophy8 has my old nx8 he likes it I didnít. The reticle is unusable at below 5x and was a huge turn off. Glass always had a halo for me also. Iíd go mark5 but imma leupold
Guy.
I was thinking the same thing with the TMR reticle. I figure it would be a good for kids since itís not real busy.. but still usable for wind holds and such. Just wish illumination wasnít an extra $4-500!
Silentnight is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 03:31 AM   #9
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentnight View Post
Which reticle do you like in your NF for a hunting rig?
MILC although the MILXT isn’t horrible. It’s a tree reticle, but it seems to dissappear decently. The TMR of the Leupold leaves me wanting more even though I shot one for 7 years. The CCH doesn’t disappear for me, and I’m not a T3 or H59 fan at all.

The TMR isn’t a bad reticle for most, but I absolutely despise the dam thing.I ordered my MK6 the day they were released in 2013 as it checked a lot of boxes I required for a hunting/target optic. If Leupold offered a MK5 3.6-18 with a non tree reticle and .2 elevation and windage holds with a floating center dot I’d own one RFN. The TMR is the sole reason I won’t own a MK5. It’s a good optic otherwise.

Last edited by TX03RUBI; 05-03-2021 at 04:21 AM.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 04:33 AM   #10
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

I’m pretty much exactly with Anthony on this. Glass is near identical on both. Slight edge to NF as you’re looking through a 30mm tube with tighter eye box vs a 35mm tube and forgiving one.

I’m running the MilC in my 2-20 NX8. The 4-32 is trash. Had one. Hayes it. Reticle is wayyyyy too big on 32x. And way too small on 4x. Eye box was incredibly tight.

I loved my atacrs but felt myself wanting more than 16x on the bench. I hope those 20x atacrs get reasonably priced. I’d swap my kahles 624i for one in a hurry.

I’m still running one Mark 6. TMR c2 turret. It’s been on that rifle since I had it built 8 or so years ago. I’ve said for years I’m gonna upgrade it but haven’t yet lol.
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 07:13 AM   #11
Silentnight
Four Point
 
Silentnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Central TX
Hunt In: Jourdanton/S. Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
MILC although the MILXT isn’t horrible. It’s a tree reticle, but it seems to dissappear decently. The TMR of the Leupold leaves me wanting more even though I shot one for 7 years. The CCH doesn’t disappear for me, and I’m not a T3 or H59 fan at all.

The TMR isn’t a bad reticle for most, but I absolutely despise the dam thing.I ordered my MK6 the day they were released in 2013 as it checked a lot of boxes I required for a hunting/target optic. If Leupold offered a MK5 3.6-18 with a non tree reticle and .2 elevation and windage holds with a floating center dot I’d own one RFN. The TMR is the sole reason I won’t own a MK5. It’s a good optic otherwise.

What are your thoughts on the PR-1MIL reticle that they offer now?
.2 windage and elevation with a floating dot.
Can get it illuminated or non illuminated


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Silentnight is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 07:39 AM   #12
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentnight View Post
What are your thoughts on the PR-1MIL reticle that they offer now?
.2 windage and elevation with a floating dot.
Can get it illuminated or non illuminated


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well. Think that settles my upgrade for my mk6 lol. Ticks me off that they went 35mm though.
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 07:46 AM   #13
Silentnight
Four Point
 
Silentnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Central TX
Hunt In: Jourdanton/S. Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Well. Think that settles my upgrade for my mk6 lol. Ticks me off that they went 35mm though.
They just HAD to be different with the 35mm..
Silentnight is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 08:34 AM   #14
HTOWN
Six Point
 
HTOWN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Texas city
Hunt In: ROCKSPRINGS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentnight View Post
Weight difference isnít much between the 3.

Mk5 - 26oz
NX8 - 28oz
ATACR - 30oz

I was leaning toward the Mk5 because it is the lightest of the three. And I can usually get a pretty good deal on Leupold.
You are correct.. I still had the larger scopes in my head when I made that post.
HTOWN is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 10:01 AM   #15
cb4128
Ten Point
 
cb4128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Default

For the OP's intended purpose, I'd go with a Leupold but the vx5hd line with an illuminated reticle. The eyebox should be the most forgiving for a youngster and or for quick target acquisition out of a truck vs the options that are currently discussed.

If you want to stick with the popular ones on this thread, I'd go MK 5hd. I'm not a fan of the 2.5-20 NX8, didn't think the glass was all that great and the parallax always seemed to be finicky - not what you want for the discussed purpose by the OP.

*I have a Swarovski z6i on my truck gun/kid gun and it works great for that purpose - very forgiving eyebox, can set the parallax and it works for most scenarios out of a truck and the illuminated dot in the center helps my son get on target quickly. Something else to consider!
cb4128 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 10:03 AM   #16
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4128 View Post
For the OP's intended purpose, I'd go with a Leupold but the vx5hd line with an illuminated reticle. The eyebox should be the most forgiving for a youngster and or for quick target acquisition out of a truck vs the options that are currently discussed.

If you want to stick with the popular ones on this thread, I'd go MK 5hd. I'm not a fan of the 2.5-20 NX8, didn't think the glass was all that great and the parallax always seemed to be finicky - not what you want for the discussed purpose by the OP.

*I have a Swarovski z6i on my truck gun/kid gun and it works great for that purpose - very forgiving eyebox, can set the parallax and it works for most scenarios out of a truck and the illuminated dot in the center helps my son get on target quickly. Something else to consider!
Agreed on that vx5 quality. Just like the vx6 itís a great scope for the money.
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 10:24 AM   #17
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentnight View Post
What are your thoughts on the PR-1MIL reticle that they offer now?
.2 windage and elevation with a floating dot.
Can get it illuminated or non illuminated


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I could work with that! Didnít realize it was an option.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 10:31 AM   #18
Daddy D
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Liberty Hill
Default

I'd lean VX5 as well. Good value and I promise you're going to be happy.
Daddy D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 12:39 PM   #19
hoyt21
Ten Point
 
hoyt21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Palito blanco, tx
Hunt In: Ben Bolt, Tx
Default

I will also say that I am 90% shooting at animals with my scopes. I ring steel rarely and with the ammo scare it’s even slimmer. Other guys that have voiced here shoot a lot of target so their needs are different then mine.
hoyt21 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 12:46 PM   #20
duckhunter175
Eight Point
 
duckhunter175's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Dallas
Default

Got rid of my NX8 4-32 for the same reasons listed above. Just grabbed a Mk5HD PR1MOA for my 7saum- reticle is plenty usable without illumination at 3.6x, glass is better than the NX8 and Im a big fan of locking turrets for hunting scopes.

The 35mm tube does limit mounting options. For the price and use (kid/truck) I'm not sure that a VX5 firedot wouldn't do the trick at better than half the price-- or maybe a NXS 2.5-10.
duckhunter175 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 09:08 PM   #21
Silentnight
Four Point
 
Silentnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Central TX
Hunt In: Jourdanton/S. Texas
Default

So I didn’t know there was a shortage of scopes.. I’m gonna go with a Mk 5 with the PR1-MIL but they aren’t in stock where I normally get my Leupolds.

My rifle should be done in a couple months and wanted to get a scope for it so I ended up placing an order with arrowsmith here on TBH and ordering a Razor LHT with the MRAD reticle. The Razor will stay on this rifle until the Mk 5 comes back in stock and then I’ll put it on a different rifle that is scopeless at the moment.
Silentnight is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 09:31 PM   #22
mzurovec
Ten Point
 
mzurovec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Liberty Hill
Hunt In: Burnet
Default

Some serious glass for a truck gun! I've got a few Mark 5's with the first two having the TMR reticle, but the last (5-25x56) having the recent offering in the PR-2MIL. I really like the lack of clutter for what it gives you in a Christmas tree reticle but not sure it is offered in the 3.6x18s at this point, FWIW. The Mark 5 line is great on many levels (like the Mark 6, VX6, Mark 4) and the warranty is strong these days.

As for Nightforce, nothing bad to say about them either, but not much experience either. Good luck!
mzurovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 11:34 PM   #23
Silentnight
Four Point
 
Silentnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Central TX
Hunt In: Jourdanton/S. Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzurovec View Post
Some serious glass for a truck gun! I've got a few Mark 5's with the first two having the TMR reticle, but the last (5-25x56) having the recent offering in the PR-2MIL. I really like the lack of clutter for what it gives you in a Christmas tree reticle but not sure it is offered in the 3.6x18s at this point, FWIW. The Mark 5 line is great on many levels (like the Mark 6, VX6, Mark 4) and the warranty is strong these days.

As for Nightforce, nothing bad to say about them either, but not much experience either. Good luck!
Got a serious truck gun in the making lol..

I have a Mark 5 5-25 with the TMR. I wish it had the PR1 or PR2 reticle but I got it before they were available. I might try to trade or sell it one day and get the PR1 or PR2
Silentnight is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com