Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 04-27-2021, 02:08 PM   #1
jake03
Six Point

Hunt In: backyard
Default Help w/deck cover build on gable end of house

Figure there will be someone here that can give a few tips/suggestions...

Making plans to start a covered deck build off the back of my house (gable end). I would prefer to do a matching pitched roof over the deck by tying into a section of the existing roof...the new cover will be significantly smaller than the expanse of the current width and roof of the house (see pic). current roof is shingle and the covered deck will be metal. This is a pier and beam house.

My questions are...
...(1 on pic) should I tie in from outside of the eave of the of the house? If so, should the new cover be slightly below the shingle line? I assume that I should not try to make the shingle and metal roof lines flush? Or, at least I don't know how to tie them together, if so.
...(2 on pic)if I do the above, what do I do with the space under the eave on the "left slope" in pic? Do I somehow wrap the roof back under the eave and attach to the wall of the house?

...a simple solution would seem to be just build the new cover totally under the existing eave, attaching to the wall of the house. Just not sure of this look....opinions?
...another simple solution would be to just build a straight lean-to cover, but I'd prefer the matching pitched roof.

Hopefully I've explained well enough, but I'm sure there may need to be more questions for clarification.

Thanks for any help!

Name:  house scketch of back deck cover.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  877.3 KB
jake03 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 02:34 PM   #2
JayB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass County

If it were mine and I had the height available, i would offset the new build under the eave but keep the same pitch. 2 different roof materials are going to be difficult to tie in and not create a possible leak.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 03:01 PM   #3
BigCountry101
Four Point

Vote 2 for putting it under the existing eave. I think it would look fine and one of those things that no one notices except you.
BigCountry101 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 03:03 PM   #4
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

X3
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 09:35 PM   #5
Draco
Pope & Young

X4.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top