Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 04-20-2021, 11:51 PM   #1
Terran28
Four Point

Hunt In: Wherever is free and/or cheap
Default Short ATA for Wife

Gents (and ladies),

My wife is 5'5" tall and has a very LARGE top half of female anatomy. She is in my 2014 PSE Vision (33" ATA) and when at full draw, the string rests against her lady parts. I am able to shoot the bow at her draw length and hit the target in the same place every time. However, every time she shoots, the impact can be anywhere from the right to the left of the target in a semi straight line. Her form is good and her anchor points are always the same. She holds the bow with an open palm. I am wondering if a short ATA bow, say 30", would get the string off her chest at a 26" draw length. What is everyone's greenscreen opinion? Just trying to keep her in the game and wanting to do this with me, but not spend upwards of $1000 for a bow for her until she gets better. Around $500 would be doable.
Terran28 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 02:24 AM   #2
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

XBow
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 05:11 AM   #3
tazhunter0
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can!!!

Sounds like she is peeking when she releases or collapsing when she releases. Make sure her clothing is not catching/hitting the string on the shot. They do make a chest protector for archers that will keep clothing out of the way, just usually you see recurve shooters using it.
Going to a shorter bow could be less forgiving also, so I would keep her in the bow that you have especially if she hasn’t been shooting very long.

My ex wife is built about the same way and had no problems. She even shot a 42 in A to A competition bow. Her draw was 27.5 inch and she was 5’7”.

Just my $.02
tazhunter0 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 10:04 AM   #4
CamoQuest
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson County

In addition to what tazhunter mentioned, check her stance. When she shoots, is she using an open stance, or are her feet perfecting perpendicular to the target? Whichever way she is standing, have her try the other way. I have more clearance with more of a closed stance. If I'm not careful with an open stance, I tend to draw the string more across or into the side of my chest. I have everything from a 30" ATA bow to a 37" XComp, and where I set my feet has more to do with string interference than the actual string angle. Look at her draw alignment, and make sure she has good bow shoulder/arm position. Watch Paige Pierce draw and shoot- she is also of the 'generous curves' stature, and her shooting form might give you ideas for helping your wife.
CamoQuest is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 09:43 PM   #5
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Always ensure the bowstring is in FRONT of lady parts- otherwise she won't shoot a bow again. Sounds like draw length is too long. Just don't rip them off.
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 10:10 PM   #6
Marco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Texas

Pics or it isn't happening. Sorry bro I Couldn't help myself!!!!
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 10:58 PM   #7
Terran28
Four Point

For those that need images to see how she is standing and where the string lies, here they are.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2021, 11:25 PM   #8
Terran28
Four Point

Might also be a torque issue and using a whisker biscuit is exacerbating the issue. Will get her a drop away on the first of next month.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:52 PM   #9
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

I am a small-framed woman and not as generously endowed as your wife; and, admittedly, I hunt with a shotgun, not a bow. However, when I go hunting, I wear a tight fitting sports bra to help mitigate any interference from my lady parts. The additional “perkiness” I get from the added support doesn’t hurt either.
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2021, 08:36 AM   #10
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran28 View Post
For those that need images to see how she is standing and where the string lies, here they are.
I'm not a coach or anything special.

From looking at the pictures it might be a form issue.
On the back picture of appears her head is tilted to the front and right shoulder.
When I start having issues it's generally a form issue.
I do like she looks to be doing.
I bring my face to the bow, not the bow to my face. I bring the boys to my face and it squares up my shoulders. In essence raising my bow hand.
Don't know if that will help her out or not
Pushbutton2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #11
tazhunter0
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can!!!

Square up feet and shoulders, shorten draw maybe a little bit, stand straight up and down. By the pic she appears to be leaning back some.

What range is that at?
tazhunter0 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 01:10 AM   #12
Terran28
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazhunter0 View Post
Square up feet and shoulders, shorten draw maybe a little bit, stand straight up and down. By the pic she appears to be leaning back some.

What range is that at?
It is Cowtown Bowmen. I am the Lead Range Capt and my wife is a Range Capt as well.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:41 PM   #13
Marco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Texas

Leaning back to me
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 07:14 AM   #14
Notaguide
Six Point

Hunt In: Bosque Co.

My .2 cents after working with younger shooters, horizontal inconsistency is usually caused by draw length or extended arm (her left) shifts. Newer shooters tend to either lock out or relax too much between shots causing the movement. A bow with a soft back wall will only make it worse.
Notaguide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 08:09 AM   #15
Paycheck
Ten Point

Looks like she could put a little more weight forward. My wife had a similar problem.
Paycheck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 08:42 PM   #16
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

DL too long. Release too long. She’s leaning back but not much. Poor grip in second pic. Hard to tell in first pic. Anchor point wrong (shooting down hill) And yes a shorter ATA would help.

Last edited by Fishndude; 04-27-2021 at 08:45 PM.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 04:39 PM   #17
CamoQuest
Ten Point

How much weight is she able to pull? I ask, because I'll be coming your way for the Texas Recurve Championship. I have a Chill she is welcome to try, just to get an idea of how a shorter ATA feels, but it has 60lb limbs on it. I can get it closer to 50, if she can comfortably handle that much.

A funny note about the pictures you posted: my daughter, who is 5, walked up behind me and asked me where I was shooting and why was I wearing pants. Your wife and I look fairly similar from behind, but I'm notorious for wearing shorts. In fact the only time my daughter has ever seen me in anything else was during the February freeze, lol. She thought your wife was me, and still thinks she is, lol.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:51 PM   #18
eaglegolfj
Ten Point

It looks as though she is, but mine forgets to use the peep from time to time. Make sure she is using it. I kept moving sight for my wife and nothing was changing. Then stood behind her and that is when i noticed she was not using it.
eaglegolfj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 06:30 PM   #19
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Just fitted my daughter in a Mission Hammer....I think. Its a short ATA, for short draw lenghts
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 06:46 PM   #20
Muskles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

Crossbow, or breast reduction. It's your money. Seriously though, it looks like she's leaning back too much. Might do like suggested above and shorten the draw length some. Shorter ATA would raise the strings some, but also mentioned above, it's not as forgiving.
Muskles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 06:50 AM   #21
Terran28
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoQuest View Post
How much weight is she able to pull? I ask, because I'll be coming your way for the Texas Recurve Championship. I have a Chill she is welcome to try, just to get an idea of how a shorter ATA feels, but it has 60lb limbs on it. I can get it closer to 50, if she can comfortably handle that much.

A funny note about the pictures you posted: my daughter, who is 5, walked up behind me and asked me where I was shooting and why was I wearing pants. Your wife and I look fairly similar from behind, but I'm notorious for wearing shorts. In fact the only time my daughter has ever seen me in anything else was during the February freeze, lol. She thought your wife was me, and still thinks she is, lol.
She works weekend nights and might not be there. I will not be there this weekend most likely as I work nights too and the weekend night person has requested the 8th off and I will have to work for them. I sure wish we could meet you there. How often are you out at our range as I see you are not local?

Last edited by Terran28; 05-02-2021 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:54 AM   #22
Terran28
Four Point

I forgot to turn on notifications for this thread. My apologies. She is trying to get better and little things are messing her up like her riser hand. She has to concentrate not to grip the riser. I have also taken the bow into Fort Grard and got a QAD HDX Drop Away Rest put on it on Friday. As for the backwall on this bow, it is a 2014 PSE Vision and does not have a backwall, you can overdraw this bow by accident. As for her draw weight, she does not have the back muscles built up and is only probably pulling around 40, maybe 45 at max if that of weight. I do not have a draw weight scale and forgot to have it measured at Fort Grard. I am trying everything to keep her interested and wanting to do this with me. I do not have the funds for lessons for her.

Also, I do believe the draw length might be over her limit as she is getting string slaps and uses a trad wrist guard to protect herself. Her shoulder and wrist is a little weak and she is turning "into" the bow at times.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:22 AM   #23
CamoQuest
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran28 View Post
She works weekend nights and might not be there. I will not be there this weekend most likely as I work nights too and the weekend night person has requested the 8th off and I will have to work for them. I sure wish we could meet you there. How often are you out at our range as I see you are not local?
I used to work nights, and I know how that goes. Kinda messes up a normal schedule!

I'm not at Cowtown often, unfortunately. My husband and I came for an ASA qualifier a few years ago, and both of us thoroughly enjoyed the range. It's become one of our favorite places in Texas to shoot 3D. We don't make it up that way near as much as we would like to.

As far as trying things to help her with her form, focus on one or two things at a time. It can be very discouraging to have someone pointing out all your flaws, and then try to remember everything said to fix them. Work with what you have, and keep it fun for her. Encouragement goes a long way, as I'm sure you are aware.

Grip: Have her look at the palm of her left hand. Show her the flat meaty part located between her thumb joint and her lifeline. That's where you want the grip on the riser to lay. She can hold her hand out in front of her like she's saying 'stop', and then angle her hand to a 45 degree direction with fingers pointing more in a 10-11 o'clock position. From there, put the hand against the riser. If the bow has a big, thick grip it will be harder to do this, and she might have to adjust a little bit. Even if the grip is narrow, if she has been gripping the bow in the middle of her hand, putting the grip on the meaty part of the thumb is going to feel pretty weird. Have her tuck her fingers against her palm, between it and the grip, with just her thumb and forefinger supporting the bow. Get her up close to a bale, and have her practice shooting and keeping her arm up after the shot. A wrist sling can help- it is more of a mental thing, to keep her from fearing the bow falling out of her hand. It won't, but until she shoots enough to know this, the sling can help her not grab for the bow. It can be something as simple as a piece of paracord or thin rope- something you have on hand. Tell her not to worry about where the arrow goes, just work on keeping the bow hand relaxed and still, and holding her arm up after the shot. Draw, anchor, push the bow arm toward the target, release, and think "bow arm, bow arm, bow arm" and count as the shot breaks. If she counts to 3 before dropping her arm, it will seem like forever, but over time as her mind gets away from dropping the bow as soon as the release happens, the process will speed up and feel more normal. She doesn't have to hold her arm up for 3 seconds the rest of her shooting career; just until she learns to keep her arm up until the arrow hits the target.

I don't know if any of that will help her, but hopefully it will give her something to focus on without getting overwhelmed.