Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2021, 04:42 PM   #1
Court2005
Eight Point
 
Court2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Carolina
Hunt In: Iredell County
Default Right arrow for bow? Or is it me?

I purchased a Bowtech Reign in 2018. Itís the 7Ē brace height and 70lbs.

The shop that I purchased the bow from set me up with GoldTip Hunter XT 340s arrows. My arrows were cut at 28.5Ē and I shoot 100 grain slick tricks with a QAD drop away rest.

However, I only feel confident in 2 of the 6 arrows in my quiver because those arrows fly straight every time. The other arrows hit their mark but seem to dance and move in flight and donít hit the target straight on when I go to pull them out.

Do I need a stiffer arrow? Heavier/lighter arrow? Heavier broadhead?

Or am I doing something wrong?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Court2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2021, 04:47 PM   #2
Sleepy
Pope & Young
 
Sleepy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas
Default

Assuming you have a standard weighted insert, your spine should be fine. My initial thoughts are inconsistent form, or an untuned bow, or both. I would say most likely not tuned well enough. Paper tuning isn’t good enough.
Sleepy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2021, 04:50 PM   #3
WillowCity2506
Four Point
 
WillowCity2506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Orange
Hunt In: Willow City Loop
Default

get on youtube and search RANCH FAIRY. He is not for everyone but he has tons of information. Could watch hours of his videos and still learn. Information for the practical hunter looking to learn
WillowCity2506 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2021, 06:09 PM   #4
SRK14
Eight Point
 
SRK14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Atlanta tx
Hunt In: Cass, miller
Default

Arrow setup seems fine. Itís identical to mine. Iíd suspect some fletching contact possibly.
SRK14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2021, 06:32 PM   #5
Court2005
Eight Point
 
Court2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Carolina
Hunt In: Iredell County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK14 View Post
Arrow setup seems fine. Itís identical to mine. Iíd suspect some fletching contact possibly.

Okay, Iíve checked for it hitting the cable with some of my wifeís lipstick and it didnt seem to come in contact with the cable. I do wonder if my drop away rest isnít setup right or is just not fast enough.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Court2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2021, 06:33 PM   #6
Court2005
Eight Point
 
Court2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Carolina
Hunt In: Iredell County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Assuming you have a standard weighted insert, your spine should be fine. My initial thoughts are inconsistent form, or an untuned bow, or both. I would say most likely not tuned well enough. Paper tuning isnít good enough.

Plan to shoot a lot more this year so hopefully I can rule out any form issues. As for tuning I plan to go to a different shop and make sure it tuned right.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Court2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2021, 06:34 PM   #7
Court2005
Eight Point
 
Court2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Carolina
Hunt In: Iredell County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowCity2506 View Post
get on youtube and search RANCH FAIRY. He is not for everyone but he has tons of information. Could watch hours of his videos and still learn. Information for the practical hunter looking to learn

Thanks I will check him out!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Court2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2021, 06:49 PM   #8
Sleepy
Pope & Young
 
Sleepy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court2005 View Post
Plan to shoot a lot more this year so hopefully I can rule out any form issues. As for tuning I plan to go to a different shop and make sure it tuned right.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Make sure you shoot it. And if they start moving the rest around to ďtuneĒ it find a different shop.
Sleepy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2021, 07:47 AM   #9
SRK14
Eight Point
 
SRK14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Atlanta tx
Hunt In: Cass, miller
Default

A qad rest has two white lines on the thumb wheel that should be lined up at full draw. If you are shooting broadheads you may have a few not spinning true on the shaft. Anything and everything is exaggerated while shooting broadheads. Especially your form and your bow and arrows being out of tune. One thing I do with all of my arrows is fletch them with the same color vanes all the way around. No odd color. Sometimes if I shoot with an odd color vane it will play tricks on my eyes on how the arrow is flying.
SRK14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2021, 08:58 AM   #10
Low Fence
Pope & Young
 
Low Fence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Quitman, Tx.
Default

What fletching? And offset/helical?
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2021, 02:22 PM   #11
Court2005
Eight Point
 
Court2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Carolina
Hunt In: Iredell County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
What fletching? And offset/helical?




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Court2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2021, 02:24 PM   #12
Court2005
Eight Point
 
Court2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Carolina
Hunt In: Iredell County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK14 View Post
A qad rest has two white lines on the thumb wheel that should be lined up at full draw. If you are shooting broadheads you may have a few not spinning true on the shaft. Anything and everything is exaggerated while shooting broadheads. Especially your form and your bow and arrows being out of tune. One thing I do with all of my arrows is fletch them with the same color vanes all the way around. No odd color. Sometimes if I shoot with an odd color vane it will play tricks on my eyes on how the arrow is flying.

Okay, I have great eye site so I had considered that as well but wasnít sure.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Court2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2021, 02:42 PM   #13
diamond10x
Ten Point
 
diamond10x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Helotes
Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties
Default

Your form or tune is off, paper tune isn’t enough.

Look into nock tuning each arrow. This will make sure each spine is aligned the same and will bring those other 4 arrows in tighter. I’ve had to do this before and have since started just doing each arrow individually before I fletch them up.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2021, 02:53 PM   #14
Court2005
Eight Point
 
Court2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Carolina
Hunt In: Iredell County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond10x View Post
Your form or tune is off, paper tune isnít enough.

Look into nock tuning each arrow. This will make sure each spine is aligned the same and will bring those other 4 arrows in tighter. Iíve had to do this before and have since started just doing each arrow individually before I fletch them up.

Thanks, Any good resources for nock tuning?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Court2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2021, 03:03 PM   #15
diamond10x
Ten Point
 
diamond10x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Helotes
Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court2005 View Post
Thanks, Any good resources for nock tuning?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
YouTube Ranch Fairy. Some people donít like him but his channel is a wealth of knowledge on tuning your whole set up especially arrows.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2021, 03:04 PM   #16
Court2005
Eight Point
 
Court2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Carolina
Hunt In: Iredell County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond10x View Post
YouTube Ranch Fairy. Some people donít like him but his channel is a wealth of knowledge on tuning your whole set up especially arrows.

Thanks! He was mentioned above. Will give it a look this evening.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Court2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2021, 03:13 PM   #17
public
Four Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Keller, Tx
Hunt In: Fannin, Houston, Grayson
Default

X3 on Ranch Fairy
public is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2021, 03:37 PM   #18
Court2005
Eight Point
 
Court2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Carolina
Hunt In: Iredell County
Default

Thanks for the info guys and for me to check out Ranch Fairy. Nock tuning makes sense and will be the first thing on my list as I prepare for the upcoming hunting season.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Court2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 01:18 AM   #19
Briar Friar
Pope & Young
 
Briar Friar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default

Bareshaft from short yardage and index your shafts to see which way they spin without fletchings. Your fletching right helical but your shafts may tending to be spinning counter clock wise.

I know one guru on here who shoots a wheel bow right handed and fletches left. I shoot a longbow right handed and due to my form...my shafts index ccw and Ive since fletched left for that setup.

Good luck Mr2005
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 03:11 PM   #20
Court2005
Eight Point
 
Court2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Carolina
Hunt In: Iredell County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Bareshaft from short yardage and index your shafts to see which way they spin without fletchings. Your fletching right helical but your shafts may tending to be spinning counter clock wise.

I know one guru on here who shoots a wheel bow right handed and fletches left. I shoot a longbow right handed and due to my form...my shafts index ccw and Ive since fletched left for that setup.

Good luck Mr2005

Will be doing this soon. How can you tell which way they spin?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Court2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 05:05 PM   #21
Rodray12
Six Point
 
Rodray12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Austin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court2005 View Post
Will be doing this soon. How can you tell which way they spin?
Rodray12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 05:31 PM   #22
SharpEnd
Four Point
 
SharpEnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NE TX
Default

I did bareshaft tuning recently, and was kind of surprised that the arrows were spinning left out of the bow (RH shooter). Likely has to do with the serving and string twist. I changed to left helical, and groups are more consistent.

RF had a video in the past week or so about arrow tuning - definitely watch that one.
SharpEnd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 06:30 PM   #23
SharpEnd
Four Point
 
SharpEnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NE TX
Default

My guess is that you're underspined, though, at 70lbs and 28.5 arrow. In qSpine it shows to be on the weak side of the dial, wheras 300s are closer to optimal and leaning stiff. 300s with 125gr points look to be about perfect, in the software at least. Do some paper and bareshaft tuning and you'll have more data. You could also dial the bow back about 5 lbs and see if they fly better, which will tell you that you might be underspined as well.
SharpEnd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 06:53 PM   #24
sp-bow
Eight Point
 
sp-bow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Magnolia, TX
Hunt In: SHNF, MI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpEnd View Post
My guess is that you're underspined, though, at 70lbs and 28.5 arrow. In qSpine it shows to be on the weak side of the dial, wheras 300s are closer to optimal and leaning stiff. 300s with 125gr points look to be about perfect, in the software at least. Do some paper and bareshaft tuning and you'll have more data. You could also dial the bow back about 5 lbs and see if they fly better, which will tell you that you might be underspined as well.
That is what I was thinking. Iím at 29Ē @ 70 lbs with 125 up front and shoot 300ís. Looks like at 100 should still be at 300ís, thought I was always told better to go stiffer. How is your FOC?
sp-bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 11:45 PM   #25
SharpEnd
Four Point
 
SharpEnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NE TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp-bow View Post
How is your FOC?
My FOC varies between 12-15.5%, depends on which setup Iím shooting.
I donít get too worked up about it.
SharpEnd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2021, 07:37 AM   #26
Court2005
Eight Point
 
Court2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Carolina
Hunt In: Iredell County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpEnd View Post
My guess is that you're underspined, though, at 70lbs and 28.5 arrow. In qSpine it shows to be on the weak side of the dial, wheras 300s are closer to optimal and leaning stiff. 300s with 125gr points look to be about perfect, in the software at least. Do some paper and bareshaft tuning and you'll have more data. You could also dial the bow back about 5 lbs and see if they fly better, which will tell you that you might be underspined as well.

Ive had a suspicion or concern that the arrows could be under spined but just havenít had the time to look into it further until now. Part of me thinks that the poundage is just a little bit over 70lbs as well maybe 2-3lbs but would need to confirm that. Might look into getting some 300s and seeing how they shoot with 125 grain tips.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Court2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2021, 07:10 PM   #27
JB_Archery
Six Point
 
JB_Archery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: Texas, New Mexico & Arizona
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court2005 View Post
Ive had a suspicion or concern that the arrows could be under spined but just havenít had the time to look into it further until now. Part of me thinks that the poundage is just a little bit over 70lbs as well maybe 2-3lbs but would need to confirm that. Might look into getting some 300s and seeing how they shoot with 125 grain tips.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


I bet if you go to a 300 spine it will fix your woes... truthfully anyone shooting 70lbs over a 28Ē draw should look into going to a 300 spine IMO


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JB_Archery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2021, 08:07 PM   #28
SharpEnd
Four Point
 
SharpEnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NE TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_Archery View Post
I bet if you go to a 300 spine it will fix your woes... truthfully anyone shooting 70lbs over a 28Ē draw should look into going to a 300 spine IMO


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, especially with 330+ IBO bows.
SharpEnd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2021, 08:35 PM   #29
sp-bow
Eight Point
 
sp-bow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Magnolia, TX
Hunt In: SHNF, MI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpEnd View Post
My FOC varies between 12-15.5%, depends on which setup Iím shooting.
I donít get too worked up about it.
Should be good with that. I was just curious. I have 125ís up front and added 50gr weight to the insert to get to 17%. I do shoot fixed blade heads.
sp-bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2021, 06:45 PM   #30
Court2005
Eight Point
 
Court2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Carolina
Hunt In: Iredell County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_Archery View Post
I bet if you go to a 300 spine it will fix your woes... truthfully anyone shooting 70lbs over a 28Ē draw should look into going to a 300 spine IMO


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just ordered some 300s today. Will be able to start practicing soon. Next step is figure out what broadhead I want now that Iíll be going up to 125.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Court2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 09:58 PM   #31
Court2005
Eight Point
 
Court2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Carolina
Hunt In: Iredell County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp-bow View Post
Should be good with that. I was just curious. I have 125ís up front and added 50gr weight to the insert to get to 17%. I do shoot fixed blade heads.

So based on this I could add 25gr to the inserts and use my current 100grain broadheads that I just purchased last year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Court2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 06:59 AM   #32
Duckologist
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: SW Louisiana
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court2005 View Post
So based on this I could add 25gr to the inserts and use my current 100grain broadheads that I just purchased last year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes you can do that. If you got new arrows I would shoot them before fletching them. You will be able to get your bow in tune and then for any that still won't behave you will nock tune them. Once you get every shaft flying straight you can then fletch them. I built some new arrows for a new bow and to be able to use my 100 grain heads I had to put 150 grain inserts in my arrows.
Duckologist is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 07:10 AM   #33
Court2005
Eight Point
 
Court2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Carolina
Hunt In: Iredell County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post
Yes you can do that. If you got new arrows I would shoot them before fletching them. You will be able to get your bow in tune and then for any that still won't behave you will nock tune them. Once you get every shaft flying straight you can then fletch them. I built some new arrows for a new bow and to be able to use my 100 grain heads I had to put 150 grain inserts in my arrows.

I ordered a dozen shafts the other day. Going to 300s and want to shoot at least 125 grain broadheads. I Just have 6 new broadheads (100gr) from last year that I donít want to waste. So I was thinking of adding 25gr to the inserts for now and then when I go up to 125 grain broadhead just leave the inserts in and keep hunting!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Court2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2021, 08:31 PM   #34
Buffalo1
Six Point
 
Buffalo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default

Are your shafts squared on each end? Out-of-square can definitely affect arrow flight.
Buffalo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com