Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Recipes
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2021, 04:26 PM   #1
dfkoon
Ten Point
 
dfkoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arlington/Texoma
Hunt In: Colemane, OK / Hagermann when lucky
Default Gonna make bacon

Been wanting to try, but getting pork belly near me has been a challenge. I guess city folks don't buy pork belly. Not available at Sam's, Costco, Tom Thumb, Kroger, Amazon, or Whole Foods. Wasted a lot of time looking.

Just picked up an 8.5# pork belly from La Michoacana meat market. I really liked that place. With skin removed though worked out to be ~$5.50/lb. Wife will pick up another 5# from central market tomorrow. They only charge $5/lb for the same pork belly that HEB sells for $3/lb. We wanted to compare as the one we bought seemed thin. Closest HEB is only 45 minutes away.

My plan is to use my offset smoker as a cold smoker. Will do this by using some pellet tubes on a cold night. I know I could hot smoke it, but I want to try this route. Think I've read all the threads on this.

I think while I'm at it I might try to cold smoke a block of cheddar cheese. Stay tuned. Will update in couple days.
dfkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2021, 04:37 PM   #2
EliteDriver
Ten Point
 
EliteDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Allen, Tx
Hunt In: Coleman, Ok
Default

Well, it's about time you made something in ur smoker!!! Let me know if you need a mentor to coach you along...lol.

Good luck and cant wait to try it!!!!!
EliteDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2021, 05:20 PM   #3
dfkoon
Ten Point
 
dfkoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arlington/Texoma
Hunt In: Colemane, OK / Hagermann when lucky
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDriver View Post
Well, it's about time you made something in ur smoker!!! Let me know if you need a mentor to coach you along...lol.

Good luck and cant wait to try it!!!!!
Lordy Sully, that is a good un. "One" for you slightly north of the border folks.

Just think, the ends are gonna go into the venison burgers. If folks thought the last batch was good.... You win all the way around.
dfkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2021, 05:38 PM   #4
BuckRage
Ten Point
 
BuckRage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

Every Costco I have been ever been to has had them. Ask someone at the mear counter next time? Good luck its addicting once you've had bacon done right!
BuckRage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2021, 06:10 PM   #5
Hunteraudit
Eight Point
 
Hunteraudit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Texas
Default

I started doing my own about 5 years ago and haven’t bought it from the store in about 4 years. Very easy and very good. Find it cheaper though, if you intend to do much. Costco here in San Antonio is $2.99/lb and they always have it.
Hunteraudit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2021, 07:46 AM   #6
JES
Ten Point
 
JES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Stonewall County
Default

Brookshire Brothers is where I have gotten mine in the past, best price as well.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2021, 07:47 AM   #7
JES
Ten Point
 
JES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Stonewall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkoon View Post
Lordy Sully, that is a good un. "One" for you slightly north of the border folks.

Just think, the ends are gonna go into the venison burgers. If folks thought the last batch was good.... You win all the way around.
I save the ends and trim pieces for my beans, give it a try.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2021, 07:49 AM   #8
JES
Ten Point
 
JES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Stonewall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkoon View Post
Been wanting to try, but getting pork belly near me has been a challenge. I guess city folks don't buy pork belly. Not available at Sam's, Costco, Tom Thumb, Kroger, Amazon, or Whole Foods. Wasted a lot of time looking.

Just picked up an 8.5# pork belly from La Michoacana meat market. I really liked that place. With skin removed though worked out to be ~$5.50/lb. Wife will pick up another 5# from central market tomorrow. They only charge $5/lb for the same pork belly that HEB sells for $3/lb. We wanted to compare as the one we bought seemed thin. Closest HEB is only 45 minutes away.

My plan is to use my offset smoker as a cold smoker. Will do this by using some pellet tubes on a cold night. I know I could hot smoke it, but I want to try this route. Think I've read all the threads on this.

I think while I'm at it I might try to cold smoke a block of cheddar cheese. Stay tuned. Will update in couple days.
Mistake I have made when I first did my own bacon was to not dry it thoroughly, hang it in the fridge over night or put it on a wire cooling rack in the fridge if you canít hang it. You want it to be completely dry or it wonít take the smoke as well.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2021, 09:23 AM   #9
dfkoon
Ten Point
 
dfkoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arlington/Texoma
Hunt In: Colemane, OK / Hagermann when lucky
Default

Thanks JES for the advice. Wish there was Brookshire's near, but no, I am right between ftw & dallas. I'll learn from this batch and then stock up when I have the opportunity... make a detour on way to lease. Planning on combining ends with venison for burgers. Did that this last season and that was some good eats at the lease. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. And who doesn't like burgers year round?
dfkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2021, 10:40 AM   #10
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young
 
Geezy Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Weatherford, Tx.
Hunt In: Wise Co.
Default

Since I started making my own, I haven’t looked back. There is absolutely no comparison in flavor. As long as I am able, I will make my own. Easy, much better tasting and cheaper.

I get my pork bellies from the local butcher shop. If they still have the skin on then I filet it off and make cracklins. Get a twofer.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2021, 12:17 PM   #11
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkoon View Post
Thanks JES for the advice. Wish there was Brookshire's near, but no, I am right between ftw & dallas. I'll learn from this batch and then stock up when I have the opportunity... make a detour on way to lease. Planning on combining ends with venison for burgers. Did that this last season and that was some good eats at the lease. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. And who doesn't like burgers year round?


I canít speak for all Costcos but the one on Bryant Irvin pretty much always has bellies. Thatís where I get mine.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2021, 02:22 PM   #12
EZ40
Four Point
 
EZ40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Euless
Hunt In: Runnels County
Default

Can someone list out the process for someone that has never done it?
EZ40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2021, 03:02 PM   #13
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young
 
Geezy Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Weatherford, Tx.
Hunt In: Wise Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ40 View Post
Can someone list out the process for someone that has never done it?
This how I do mine.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ked-bacon-home
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2021, 03:37 PM   #14
EZ40
Four Point
 
EZ40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Euless
Hunt In: Runnels County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezy Rider View Post

Thank you, sir.
EZ40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2021, 06:07 PM   #15
dfkoon
Ten Point
 
dfkoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arlington/Texoma
Hunt In: Colemane, OK / Hagermann when lucky
Default

I'm planning on documenting the whole process on this thread. Likely have 3 different rubs too. Hopefully will start tomorrow.
dfkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2021, 07:38 PM   #16
tpack
Ten Point
 
tpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Stephenville
Hunt In: Erath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezy Rider View Post
I do mine the same way. Turns out great.
tpack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2021, 03:01 PM   #17
EliteDriver
Ten Point
 
EliteDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Allen, Tx
Hunt In: Coleman, Ok
Default

DK - are you still curing it? Need an update!!!!
EliteDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-09-2021, 09:07 AM   #18
dfkoon
Ten Point
 
dfkoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arlington/Texoma
Hunt In: Colemane, OK / Hagermann when lucky
Default

Yes - still curing 14.5#. I have 3 basic recipes, a honey cure from Rytek's book, a maple-brown sugar, and a brown sugar & black pepper. Was just planning on waiting till I finish to give a one and all post.

I've rigged my offset smoker with a dowel for the hangers and 2 pellet tubes filled with hickory. Plan is to cold-smoke on a cold day/night.

Here's some teasers.
Attached Images
   
dfkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-09-2021, 10:29 AM   #19
EliteDriver
Ten Point
 
EliteDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Allen, Tx
Hunt In: Coleman, Ok
Default

Awesome!! That will work great!!! Just make sure it's done by the 19th!!!
EliteDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2021, 08:44 AM   #20
Yak blue
Four Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default

I followed one of rytek kutas bacon recipes as well on a wild sow that had thick fat on her belly. Came out great.
Pumped it with the brine cure and let it sit in brine for ten days. Laid about ten hours of hickory smoke to it and got it up to 122 degrees as ryteks recipe called for.
Let it chill overnight and sliced it thick.
You will not be disappointed. Post up pics when itís finished
Yak blue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2021, 05:26 PM   #21
dfkoon
Ten Point
 
dfkoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arlington/Texoma
Hunt In: Colemane, OK / Hagermann when lucky
Default

I start smoking tomorrow. And I've already picked up a small amount ~5# for next batch. that was all they had at central market. The central market pork bellies look way better than the ones I got from La Michoacana. Though I may still go back.

I've been so concerned with cold smoking on my offset that it never really occurred to me that it might be too cold. Thus, I may have a small fire in the box to get temperature above freezing.

I tried cold smoking once before on an electric smoker. It got too hot and ended up just hot smoking.
dfkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com