Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 11-01-2020, 04:06 AM   #101
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy_w_7 View Post
11 sits in and I've seen 1 deer on stand which was Thursday morning, a doe at 40 yards, no shot. I scouted this am and had a doe at 20 yards; I was able to nock an arrow and come to full draw before she bounded off. I'm starting to see some more sign pop up but just can't seem to be in the right spot at the right time! We'll keep grinding though! I'll be out Thursday - Sunday hunting and camping!

Itís been rough so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2020, 09:18 PM   #102
troy_w_7
Eight Point

Hunt In: North TX Public Land

This thread sure is quiet. What have yall been seeing out in the field at LBJ?

Last edited by troy_w_7; 11-09-2020 at 09:21 PM.
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2020, 09:20 PM   #103
hogman$
Eight Point

Hunt In: West texas

Saw a small buck yesterday morning and a small buck chasing a doe today Iíll be in the area for the next 5 days weíll see what happens

hogman$ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2020, 09:40 PM   #104
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land

This one was killed this afternoon about 1/2 mile from the LBJ on private land.

Name:  7 pt 3.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  89.2 KB
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2020, 11:55 AM   #105
troy_w_7
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
This one was killed this afternoon about 1/2 mile from the LBJ on private land.

Attachment 1027540
Wow those are some crazy brows!
Old 11-16-2020, 12:30 PM   #106
troy_w_7
Eight Point

I was able to get out and hunt all day yesterday. I thought with cooler temps, deer would be up moving. So I did a hang-n-hunt in the morning at a new spot on this piece I've never hunted. It was a smaller finger of timber west of a persimmon thicket. It was a north wind, I came in from the south and setup for the deer to come off the permissions and walk in front of me to the north (I had been getting does in there a bunch of mornings. Was hoping a buck would be in there after them). I setup just inside the timber in a very dinky tree. I realized if I had sat in the big tree I wanted, my shots would be straight down. So I opted for this small tree and only got one stick high. I had good back cover/high stem count and thought I could get drawn back before the deer could pick me off if they came from where I thought they would.

Come 9am and I start to get antsy, no deer sighted so far. So about 9:30 I decide I'm going to get down, go scout and figure out plan for the evening hunt. So I put my arrow in my quiver, hang the bow up, drop my pack and I'm about to start tearing down when I see a deer approaching from behind me (right shoulder to left shoulder). He's cutting south of the persimmons and traveling the downwind side of the bedding area. Quickly I'm able to knock an arrow, clip on and get turned but I had not planned for deer to come directly behind me and there was stems/branches everywhere. He walks briskly to my scent stream, stops at 10 yards and bolts off back where he came from. He had no idea I was there until he caught my wind. I have 2 pictures of this deer. If only those limbs hadn't been there!!!! Pretty cool hunt; he's not the biggest I have on camera but I would have gladly shot him. Looks like he has some cool character! This was my first buck encounter of the season! For some reason it won't let me load the 2nd pic.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2020, 02:09 AM   #107
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young

Quote:
I was able to get out and hunt all day yesterday. I thought with cooler temps, deer would be up moving. So I did a hang-n-hunt in the morning at a new spot on this piece I've never hunted. It was a smaller finger of timber west of a persimmon thicket. It was a north wind, I came in from the south and setup for the deer to come off the permissions and walk in front of me to the north (I had been getting does in there a bunch of mornings. Was hoping a buck would be in there after them). I setup just inside the timber in a very dinky tree. I realized if I had sat in the big tree I wanted, my shots would be straight down. So I opted for this small tree and only got one stick high. I had good back cover/high stem count and thought I could get drawn back before the deer could pick me off if they came from where I thought they would.

Come 9am and I start to get antsy, no deer sighted so far. So about 9:30 I decide I'm going to get down, go scout and figure out plan for the evening hunt. So I put my arrow in my quiver, hang the bow up, drop my pack and I'm about to start tearing down when I see a deer approaching from behind me (right shoulder to left shoulder). He's cutting south of the persimmons and traveling the downwind side of the bedding area. Quickly I'm able to knock an arrow, clip on and get turned but I had not planned for deer to come directly behind me and there was stems/branches everywhere. He walks briskly to my scent stream, stops at 10 yards and bolts off back where he came from. He had no idea I was there until he caught my wind. I have 2 pictures of this deer. If only those limbs hadn't been there!!!! Pretty cool hunt; he's not the biggest I have on camera but I would have gladly shot him. Looks like he has some cool character! This was my first buck encounter of the season! For some reason it won't let me load the 2nd pic.

Dang! Always when year least expect it!

Old 11-18-2020, 07:36 PM   #108
CJ7nvrstk
Spike

Anyone know of the FB page for this area?
CJ7nvrstk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2020, 09:18 PM   #109
Froggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk View Post
Anyone know of the FB page for this area?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1763066240400624

Be sure and answer all three questions and agree to the rules.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:40 PM   #110
CTR0022
Ten Point

When are the doe days. Need to know when to avoid
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2020, 01:57 PM   #111
Rich1201
Four Point

Hunt In: LBJ Grasslands, Lamar county

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR0022 View Post
When are the doe days. Need to know when to avoid
Thanksgiving day through Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Rich1201 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2020, 10:29 PM   #112
CJ7nvrstk
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1763066240400624

Be sure and answer all three questions and agree to the rules.
Thanks!
CJ7nvrstk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 11:06 AM   #113
ghostgoblin22
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Red-River County

i don't live near LBJ anymore , but my buddy does, hes got 3-4 nice bucks on camera...fun place to hunt...really miss the LBJ
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2020, 12:58 PM   #114
Blood Trail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where the manicorn hunts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
i don't live near LBJ anymore , but my buddy does, hes got 3-4 nice bucks on camera...fun place to hunt...really miss the LBJ

You ainít missing nothing. LBJ is on the verge of being ruined. I think that Facebook page has a lot to do with it.

Blood Trail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2020, 01:33 PM   #115
ghostgoblin22
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Red-River County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
You ainít missing nothing. LBJ is on the verge of being ruined. I think that Facebook page has a lot to do with it.

why so? just alot more traffic now? curious to know why?
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2020, 04:31 PM   #116
RShockley
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post

That facebook page has nothing to do with it.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #117
hogman$
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShockley View Post
That facebook page has nothing to do with it.
i don't think its just that but whats your thought on why its got so much traffic here lately ? i'm interested in what peoples thoughts are i know when i started looking into hunting public land and not knowing anything about it LBJ had a lot of pictures and a lot of talk so thats where i started
Old 12-04-2020, 06:05 PM   #118
TradHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogman$ View Post
i don't think its just that but whats your thought on why its got so much traffic here lately ? i'm interested in what peoples thoughts are i know when i started looking into hunting public land and not knowing anything about it LBJ had a lot of pictures and a lot of talk so thats where i started

I think more people are becoming more aware of public land hunting due YouTube platforms (The Hunting Public). I donít have face book and started hunting lbj last year bc l lost my lease. But people just like to complain bc they think they own the place instead of making the best out of a bad situation, but I could be wrong . Plus, Texas is not known for walk in public hunting which already makes it tough, then add in the crowds. Itís a simple solution but itís easier to complain; hunt during the week, donít hunt in the same spot, hunt in different areas (lbj, caddo, amistad, pat mayse, etc) or go out of state, learn how to read a topo map and how it relates to deer movements and get creative. People either cannot or choose not to. I am just one opinion. Oh and just get along with people (other hunters), they are in the same situation.
TradHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2020, 08:25 PM   #119
RShockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Due to the continued rise in costs associated with hunting on private property, leased or owned, a large number of people are being forced into hunting public. The internet as a whole, not just a single Facebook page, has made finding info on public lands extremely accessible. There is a large influx of hunters on LBJ because the surrounding areas are some of the largest growing areas in the state. As people continue to move into those areas over the coming years LBJ will continue to see more traffic. If anything, the Facebook group has helped spread good hunter etiquette making LBJ a better place. The group has even gone as far as setting up kind of a ďhow to hunt public landĒ class and also put a group together help out with the annual clean up day. I know several of the guys that run that group and they are great individuals that want nothing more than to improve the experience on LBJ and provide a place for people to share their experiences. It is designed to be more of an online deer camp and less of a place for internet scouting. Having met a lot of hunters from this group, with a few even becoming good friends and hunting buddies, I take exception to when others attempt to place sole blame on the group for things they donít like on LBJ.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:37 PM   #120
RShockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TradHunter View Post
I think more people are becoming more aware of public land hunting due YouTube platforms (The Hunting Public). I donít have face book and started hunting lbj last year bc l lost my lease. But people just like to complain bc they think they own the place instead of making the best out of a bad situation, but I could be wrong . Plus, Texas is not known for walk in public hunting which already makes it tough, then add in the crowds. Itís a simple solution but itís easier to complain; hunt during the week, donít hunt in the same spot, hunt in different areas (lbj, caddo, amistad, pat mayse, etc) or go out of state, learn how to read a topo map and how it relates to deer movements and get creative. People either cannot or choose not to. I am just one opinion. Oh and just get along with people (other hunters), they are in the same situation.
Well said. I have managed to kill 2 mature bucks in 3 seasons on separate Texas public properties by doing exactly as you described above. I chose to not complain and change my tactics. Theres nothing stopping others from doing the same thing but, like you said, it is easier to just complain.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:39 PM   #121
hogman$
Eight Point

Quote:
Due to the continued rise in costs associated with hunting on private property, leased or owned, a large number of people are being forced into hunting public. The internet as a whole, not just a single Facebook page, has made finding info on public lands extremely accessible. There is a large influx of hunters on LBJ because the surrounding areas are some of the largest growing areas in the state. As people continue to move into those areas over the coming years LBJ will continue to see more traffic. If anything, the Facebook group has helped spread good hunter etiquette making LBJ a better place. The group has even gone as far as setting up kind of a ďhow to hunt public landĒ class and also put a group together help out with the annual clean up day. I know several of the guys that run that group and they are great individuals that want nothing more than to improve the experience on LBJ and provide a place for people to share their experiences. It is designed to be more of an online deer camp and less of a place for internet scouting. Having met a lot of hunters from this group, with a few even becoming good friends and hunting buddies, I take exception to when others attempt to place sole blame on the group for things they donít like on LBJ.

Yea I think social media has something to do with it but not much I also think people are getting bored sitting in front of feeders I know I do me personally I hunt public not because itís free but more because I can hunt for a week straight and not hunt the same place twice

Old 12-05-2020, 12:18 AM   #122
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young

Quote:

Agreed 100!

Old 12-05-2020, 12:20 AM   #123
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yea I think social media has something to do with it but not much I also think people are getting bored sitting in front of feeders I know I do me personally I hunt public not because itís free but more because I can hunt for a week straight and not hunt the same place twice

Yeah! I concur sir.

Old 12-05-2020, 08:36 PM   #124
jnd1959
Ten Point

A big part of my switch was not just driving to the same stand on the same lease with the same feeder. I miss the deer camp though. We lost our cabin in the big Caddo fire of 07. Bounced around to some not so good leases and finally our group just drifted apart as some found spots, some quit hunting altogether and some of us switched to public. It took me a few years to make the move, and, a big part of it was and is the new youtube hunting shows and podcasts. The reality is we need landowners making money off of hunting leases. We also need more public access in Texas. Hopefully we can figure out how to have both. The possibilities are that, with more public land pressure, there's more pressure to increase access. We're going to have to figure out how to pay for it though. If we're going to push for more access, we need to come to the table with TPWD with ideas and a way to generate revenue to pay for it. Maybe a super APH permit that gives more access to more places. But that only works if there's more actual access and not raising fees for the same public ground. Surveys are clear. The top two reasons people stop hunting are access and time. More access means more revenue which should translate to more access. Public land will always be crowded at peak times, but there are ways to improve that. None of them are free or without limitations. We just need to decide what path is best for Texas.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2020, 08:57 PM   #125
troy_w_7
Eight Point

I kind of stumbled into public hunting after I had a bow given to me and got drawn at Grapevine lake which is very close to my house. After that year, I was hooked. Prior, all of my hunting experience was feeder hunting with rifles in the Hill Country. I shot a lot of deer but knew nothing about woodsmanship, deer movement, etc. I had heard about LBJ but never looked up where it was. I had someone point it out, I tried it out and killed a doe on my first sit ever at LBJ and have been here ever since.

I'm actually really thankful I'm hunting public land because it's made me such a better hunter. LBJ is tough and I don't personally think it's a target rich environment (comparably) but there are plenty of nice bucks out there for the masses. I hunt a lot of the smaller parcels and don't run into a lot of other hunters. There have been a number of facebook group members complaining about it this year but I can't really relate. Plus, I have quite a few different spots I feel confident in that I can move to if one place gets crowded.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:43 AM   #126
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young

Quote:
I kind of stumbled into public hunting after I had a bow given to me and got drawn at Grapevine lake which is very close to my house. After that year, I was hooked. Prior, all of my hunting experience was feeder hunting with rifles in the Hill Country. I shot a lot of deer but knew nothing about woodsmanship, deer movement, etc. I had heard about LBJ but never looked up where it was. I had someone point it out, I tried it out and killed a doe on my first sit ever at LBJ and have been here ever since.

I'm actually really thankful I'm hunting public land because it's made me such a better hunter. LBJ is tough and I don't personally think it's a target rich environment (comparably) but there are plenty of nice bucks out there for the masses. I hunt a lot of the smaller parcels and don't run into a lot of other hunters. There have been a number of facebook group members complaining about it this year but I can't really relate. Plus, I have quite a few different spots I feel confident in that I can move to if one place gets crowded.

I think people complain just to complain.

Old 12-07-2020, 08:38 AM   #127
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
I think people complain just to complain.

I agree. If something ain't like they like it, they always blame something else.

To many variables to lay blame in one place.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2020, 09:53 PM   #128
RShockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas grown View Post
i agree. If something ain't like they like it, they always blame something else. :d

to many variables to lay blame in one place.

the fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
100%
Old 12-08-2020, 02:52 PM   #129
TheSchwartz
Nubbin' Buck

Thumbs up

Still haven't gotten my buck this year, but I've actually been pleasantly surprised by my first year at LBJ. After reading so much of that complaining I expected the worst....crowds, trash, no deer, etc. I haven't experienced much of that at all. It's tough hunting, but there are plenty of deer around. During archery-only I pulled up to the unit I've been hunting and there were 11 trucks there. Even still, I had an area to myself and got a chance at a doe. Nowadays when I head out there, I MIGHT see one or possibly two other trucks (this is a medium-large unit). Everyone I've run into is very pleasant and helpful. I think most of the complaining stems from it being difficult hunting. When you're used to selecting the biggest deer from under your feeder, it can be very frustrating to work so hard and possibly not even encounter a deer some days. I sympathize because I've experienced that frustration. It'll be pretty sweet when I finally get one. It will continue to get more crowded, but there's still 30k acres to share and plenty of deer.
TheSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2020, 06:39 PM   #130
TradHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwartz View Post
Still haven't gotten my buck this year, but I've actually been pleasantly surprised by my first year at LBJ. After reading so much of that complaining I expected the worst....crowds, trash, no deer, etc. I haven't experienced much of that at all. It's tough hunting, but there are plenty of deer around. During archery-only I pulled up to the unit I've been hunting and there were 11 trucks there. Even still, I had an area to myself and got a chance at a doe. Nowadays when I head out there, I MIGHT see one or possibly two other trucks (this is a medium-large unit). Everyone I've run into is very pleasant and helpful. I think most of the complaining stems from it being difficult hunting. When you're used to selecting the biggest deer from under your feeder, it can be very frustrating to work so hard and possibly not even encounter a deer some days. I sympathize because I've experienced that frustration. It'll be pretty sweet when I finally get one. It will continue to get more crowded, but there's still 30k acres to share and plenty of deer.

Keep at it. Donít be afraid to go to another unit and be aggressive. Think about what the average hunter is doing and do the opposite. Harvested my first buck doing just that after one year public hunting. One of my secrets is if I see a truck parked, even just one, I move on to the next unit. There is plenty of units to hunt at lbj to feel all alone. Good luck.
TradHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2020, 12:54 AM   #131
RShockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TradHunter View Post
Keep at it. Donít be afraid to go to another unit and be aggressive. Think about what the average hunter is doing and do the opposite. Harvested my first buck doing just that after one year public hunting. One of my secrets is if I see a truck parked, even just one, I move on to the next unit. There is plenty of units to hunt at lbj to feel all alone. Good luck.
I do the same. I typically wonít hunt a unit if even a single car is parked there. This has allowed me to find huntable areas on just about every unit out there at this point. I almost always have a spot I can be confident in when sitting there. That is how I got the deer in my profile pic. Went to a new unit, scouted a new spot, setup a makeshift ground blind, and shot that nice 8 point about 30 minutes later.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:55 AM   #132
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young

Quote:
I do the same. I typically wonít hunt a unit if even a single car is parked there. This has allowed me to find huntable areas on just about every unit out there at this point. I almost always have a spot I can be confident in when sitting there. That is how I got the deer in my profile pic. Went to a new unit, scouted a new spot, setup a makeshift ground blind, and shot that nice 8 point about 30 minutes later.

Same here. Iím getting my spots, but still do lots of scouting around looking for new spots.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:38 AM   #133
TheSchwartz
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Yeah I definitely need to branch out a little more.
TheSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 10:39 AM   #134
Mister Sir
Nubbin' Buck

Has anyone heard anything about the shotgun question of legal means. Rifled vs smooth bore? Thought I heard they were possibly ending rifle bore. I know this is archery site but thought someone might know. Thanks
Mister Sir is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 09:23 PM   #135
Froggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Sir View Post
Has anyone heard anything about the shotgun question of legal means. Rifled vs smooth bore? Thought I heard they were possibly ending rifle bore. I know this is archery site but thought someone might know. Thanks
No word yet from the Forest Service.