Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-21-2020, 02:50 PM   #51
Scubasteveo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kennard,anywhere else I can mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

Remember the canes (vines) of a berry plant (blackberries or dewberries) only live 2 years. The put out a pimocane the first year, then the second season it becomes a floracane and bears fruit and dies. The following year all the new growth then bears fruit and dies, so they are constantly putting on new growth with the old growth dying... This variety fruits on the primocanes too so you get 2 crops of berries out of each cane before it dies. If you put 'em on a fence, they're not like grapes, you'll have to clean off the old canes each winter otherwise it will be a bramble of old dead canes and will make a mess in a few years...

Good to know, thanks!

Last edited by Scubasteveo; 05-21-2020 at 02:53 PM.
Scubasteveo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2020, 06:33 PM   #52
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Quote:
Guys, I have deer too, but so far they haven't messed with my berries. Only issue I've had is raccoons. They hit 'em one year, but I put out half a dozen Duke's and caught a whole family one night and haven't had a coon problem since.

Remember the canes (vines) of a berry plant (blackberries or dewberries) only live 2 years. The put out a pimocane the first year, then the second season it becomes a floracane and bears fruit and dies. The following year all the new growth then bears fruit and dies, so they are constantly putting on new growth with the old growth dying... This variety fruits on the primocanes too so you get 2 crops of berries out of each cane before it dies. If you put 'em on a fence, they're not like grapes, you'll have to clean off the old canes each winter otherwise it will be a bramble of old dead canes and will make a mess in a few years...
I ordered 15 Plants, going to put them in raised beds and hopefully will get some berries later this year. Thanks for all the info.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2020, 06:48 PM   #53
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
I ordered 15 Plants, going to put them in raised beds and hopefully will get some berries later this year. Thanks for all the info.
Cool. Keep us posted.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2020, 11:29 AM   #54
JES
Ten Point

Default Dewberries

Got my raised beds put in, boxes made for my blueberry bushes and blackberry plants have been delivered. Will get them planted next week. Looking forward to next Summer to enjoy the fruits of all this labor!

Old 06-13-2020, 05:45 PM   #55
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

These look great! Is the mesh-like material for keeping the critters out? If so, what did you use?
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2020, 06:12 PM   #56
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
Got my raised beds put in, boxes made for my blueberry bushes and blackberry plants have been delivered. Will get them planted next week. Looking forward to next Summer to enjoy the fruits of all this labor!

That looks great! I got some blueberries planted but couldn't find any blackberries. Thosewill come soon as I can get some.
doug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2020, 08:04 PM   #57
JES
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
These look great! Is the mesh-like material for keeping the critters out? If so, what did you use?
It’s just fencing cut into short sections. I used an organic fertilizer and my dang dogs will tear up the beds eating it, so had to fence them out.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:06 PM   #58
JES
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
That looks great! I got some blueberries planted but couldn't find any blackberries. Thosewill come soon as I can get some.
I ordered mine from Stark Bros. Saltwater Slick posted a link on the first page. The PrimeArk Freedom, thornless. They say they’re not compatible to our zone, but the way Slick’s growing them they sure seem compatible.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:08 PM   #59
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
I ordered mine from Stark Bros. Saltwater Slick posted a link on the first page. The PrimeArk Freedom, thornless. They say they’re not compatible to our zone, but the way Slick’s growing them they sure seem compatible.
Interesting! Theres where I looked and ordered my blueberries. I may get a few and try them.
doug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2020, 09:27 PM   #60
dxtbowhunter
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas and Kansas

I ordered the prime ark travelers through Stark brother. Mine have been doing good.
dxtbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 05:29 PM   #61
JES
Ten Point

How did everyone's berries survive the freeze? I lost half of mine. I had even wrapped them in Christmas lights and covered them in towels and blankets. The row that survived had a thicker cover over them. Already have some berries growing, looking forward to getting home and enjoying some fresh blackberries.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:32 PM   #62
JES
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
Interesting! Theres where I looked and ordered my blueberries. I may get a few and try them.
I ordered two different blueberry plants from them as well, O'Neil and Misty, they compliment each other with pollination. I planted two of each.

They suggest pulling the blooms off the first few years to promote root growth and plant development before you start allowing the berries to grow.

I lost both of the Misty variety in the freeze as well. The replants are looking good though.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:33 PM   #63
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Mine are just now flowering. Kind of like ticks. You can't kill them.
Pstraw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 05:35 PM   #64
JES
Ten Point

Quote:
Guys, I have deer too, but so far they haven't messed with my berries. Only issue I've had is raccoons. They hit 'em one year, but I put out half a dozen Duke's and caught a whole family one night and haven't had a coon problem since.

Slick, the deer ate mine like crazy, had to end up building a fence completely around my berries. I'm hoping once they mature and get big enough I can take the fence down. Thinking once the plants mature the leave will be ****** and less attractive to the deer. I will probably end up just covering the plants in bird netting to keep the deer away, would like to do away with the fence.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:37 PM   #65
JES
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstraw View Post
Mine are just now flowering. Kind of like ticks. You can't kill them.
I think mine were not established enough to survive, they were less than a year old. Plus being in a raised bed didn't help, severe cold on three sides of it I'm sure that the soil temp dropped enough to kill them.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:53 PM   #66
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

If we don’t get some freaking rain we may not have many these year.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 07:25 PM   #67
MetalMan2004
Ten Point

I’m interested to see if there’s anything out at the lease. I assume the freeze killed the canes that would be producing berries this year.

Yesterday I found a couple of vines in my backyard that escaped from their planter and the roots survived the freeze.
MetalMan2004 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 09:16 PM   #68
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

We’ve got Dewberries all over the place (in their usual places) at our place in Lexington. While they all seemed to have survived the freeze, I suspect they’ll be bearing fruit a little later than they did last year. They all look great, just a little “behind.”
Old 04-10-2021, 09:39 PM   #69
Barrett
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tarpley

Mine seem to be fine. Saw some blooms last weekend.
Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 09:43 PM   #70
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

Was at the lease today and they are in full bloom right now.
Greenheadless is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 10:43 PM   #71
Robertt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County, Tx

Grew up in east Texas. Mom would add milk to a bowl full and top with sugar for my breakfast. Good memory.
Robertt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 10:50 PM   #72
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

Lots of blooms and some green berries.
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2021, 01:04 AM   #73
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Man this thread is driving me nuts, shouldn't have clicked in here now I'm wanting to go dewberry hunting.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2021, 06:34 AM   #74
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk/San Jacinto

I was telling my wife a few days ago that we had piles of dewberries at the house by this time last year and I haven't seen any this year.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2021, 08:34 PM   #75
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Went out and checked my local patches about 2 wks ago--lots and lots of blossoms---just waiting for ripe berries---how long until then?
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2021, 10:12 PM   #76
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Was out at our place this weekend. As it turns out, all patches are at the end of their bloom cycles (I haven’t been able to get out for the last couple of months and I apparently missed them). However, upon closer inspection, I noticed the emergence of small green berries.

My sense is that they’re smaller than last year and there are definitely fewer berries on each plant. Without rain, they may never ripen to fruition, I’m afraid.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:22 AM   #77
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Quote:
I think mine were not established enough to survive, they were less than a year old. Plus being in a raised bed didn't help, severe cold on three sides of it I'm sure that the soil temp dropped enough to kill them.
They will come back. We cleared a fence line with a dozer that was dewberries 90% of the way. Two - three years later we picked dewberries off that line. They are almost as hard to kill as Bermuda grass.

Mine are just now flowering too. I am fortunate to have a bunch of wild growing dewberries. Two years ago I picked 15 gallons of them, then froze them in 2 cups batches in quart sized ZipLoc bags. I just turned the last batch into Dewberry pie for Easter. I'm looking forward to picking another 15 gallons this year - if we get some more rain.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 08:09 AM   #78
Lostacresranch
Eight Point

Most of Mine are a week past bloom stage. I have had rain every week, so lots of blooms. Should be a great crop for me.
Lostacresranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 08:17 AM   #79
JonBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Doss, TX

Got a bunch flowering at my new house and putting on some small berries. We need a lot more rain
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 09:38 AM   #80
Grndchecker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

I’m noticing a lot of blooms from a distance, but I haven’t walked up to them to check for berries. My wife made 40 jars of dewberry jelly last year. I gave a lot away and I am still in the doghouse for that.
Grndchecker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 05:59 PM   #81
JES
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grndchecker View Post
I’m noticing a lot of blooms from a distance, but I haven’t walked up to them to check for berries. My wife made 40 jars of dewberry jelly last year. I gave a lot away and I am still in the doghouse for that.
Can you share the recipe?
Old 05-04-2021, 07:45 PM   #82
JES
Ten Point

Picked one or two already, but today had several ripen up. Looking forward to having enough to make jelly.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:45 PM   #83
buzzbait
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, Blanco, Gillispie and Fayette

Got a good crop again this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buzzbait is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 09:00 PM   #84
savin yours
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas

We just walked through the pasture tonight, picking dewberries.
savin yours is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 09:04 PM   #85
critter69
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

I guess I don’t understand them not surviving the freeze down there. Our winter is just ending and it’s been freezing *** cold this winter, but the berries are just starting to bud now.
critter69 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top