Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 05-02-2021, 09:22 PM   #1
peterp63
Ten Point

Default Blaser R8 Build

Anyone shoot one? If given the opportunity to build one what caliber would you choose? Would really just be a blind or range rifle to minimize potential damage to a $6-7K firearm. Think short action and enough to take out an Aoudad (range and energy). Leaning toward: 6.5 PRC, 300 PRC (I know, not SA), and 300 WSM.

Go!

Last edited by peterp63; 05-02-2021 at 09:53 PM.
peterp63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 05:02 AM   #2
trophy8
Pope & Young

My brother has an R93 Luxus in 257 weatherby. While it’s a very nice rifle and you can run the bolt crazy fast, you can build one heck of a custom bolt action that’ll be far superior. Not to mention extra barrels and bolt heads etc are crazy expensive.

M16 should chime in. He knows a thing or two about them haha
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 10:07 PM   #3
xman59
Pope & Young

nice rifles i would love to own one but my retiree budget says it's not going to happen,,, but since i am dreaming,,,, i would go with the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser round,,,,
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 10:53 PM   #4
peterp63
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
My brother has an R93 Luxus in 257 weatherby. While itís a very nice rifle and you can run the bolt crazy fast, you can build one heck of a custom bolt action thatíll be far superior. Not to mention extra barrels and bolt heads etc are crazy expensive.

M16 should chime in. He knows a thing or two about them haha

I had an R93 with 3 barrels topped with a Nightforce. Great rifle but sold it.

This R8 build would be at factory cost or else we wouldnít even be considering it.
peterp63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 06:41 AM   #5
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

I don't have any experience with the R8 but do with the R93. Since the barrels don't interchange between the two models and owning 25 or so it wasn't worth making the switch.

You won't gain anything buy getting a short action caliber. The action is the same size for everything. Just a bolt stop built into the magazine. So I wouldn't limit myself on that criteria. If you are getting a wood stock and don't want to damage it I'd get an extra fiberglass stock to hunt with.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top