ASL or Howard Hill style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASL or Howard Hill style

Just curious if anyone here is dedicated to ASL or Hill style longbows? Not just own one, but has completely dedicated to the whole concept and shooting form etc.

I’ve only been shooting Trad for about 7 years now (can’t believe it’s been that long) but in the last year have really taken to the ASL style of bows and hill style of shooting.

I don’t see much talk about them here so I figured I’d see what the response was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is new to me, I was always under the impression that those styles were one in the same. I think I've heard it mentioned that the ASL being tied to that style longbow was from Howard Hill's "competition" not wanting his name associated with a style of bow.

BUT I am no expert on the matter, and do not shoot that style of bow

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

ASL or Howard Hill style

I don’t have good enough dental insurance to shoot an ASL!!!!!

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Seriously, I hate the grips on ASL’s. It’s like holding a rounded off 2x4. And the hand shock, well, see my comment above!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Bisch; 04-29-2021, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Seriously, I hate the grips on ASL’s. It’s like holding a rounded off 2x4. And the hand shock, well, see my comment above!

Bisch

This has been my very limited experience (shot two of them) as well. Both bows were high poundage however it was back when I was much stronger.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch

That’s odd... I have shot a lot of Trad bows, not near as many as you I’m sure, but this JD Berry Northstar I have is one of the quietest, dead in hand bows I feel like I’ve shot. Same with a Northern Mist American I owned. But of course now that I’ve been shooting them for a while I could be a little used to them. I’d like to pick up a nice R/D bow design and shoot next to each other. I will say one that stands out to me is a 3pc Thunderhorn Hearstopper.

For sure to each their own on grip. I really prefer a straight grip now, for whatever reason for me it’s just easier to repeat which I know is odd. They are made with locator grips as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tradman View Post
            This is new to me, I was always under the impression that those styles were one in the same. I think I've heard it mentioned that the ASL being tied to that style longbow was from Howard Hill's "competition" not wanting his name associated with a style of bow.

BUT I am no expert on the matter, and do not shoot that style of bow

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My post was a little confusing. I didn’t mean one or the other, more of a synonym.

Comment

I guess I am an oddball around here... I mainly shot ASLs over the past 20 years and truly their feel and grace. Not the most practical bows (66" to 68") to hunt out of blinds, but they tend to be very quiet on release. I transitioned to a mild R/D 62" longbow since moving back to Texas. Still loving a straight grip though.
              If I were to join the Dark Side, I would give one of Randy Madden's bow the nod.

Comment

Working...
              X