Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 02-03-2021, 02:52 PM   #51
Kmart49
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan County/Stephens County

Coming along nicely!
Kmart49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2021, 03:02 PM   #52
jas22bow
Spike

Hunt In: West Texas, Public Land

Looks Great!
jas22bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2021, 10:37 AM   #53
Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montana

Looking great.

When you shim the bottom of the window, is the installed glass plumb or does it tilt forward at the top slightly? Thatís new to me.

Iím afraid to ask what a 4x8 sheet of osb sheathing goes for in Texas. We framed our house Ďpre-covidí but I heard $38 per sheet in Montana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2021, 11:20 AM   #54
zach_pendleton
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Fredericksburg, TX

Can't wait to see how this turns out!
zach_pendleton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2021, 07:25 PM   #55
Gclyde28
Ten Point

Default Modern Farmhouse Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Looking great.

When you shim the bottom of the window, is the installed glass plumb or does it tilt forward at the top slightly? Thatís new to me.

Iím afraid to ask what a 4x8 sheet of osb sheathing goes for in Texas. We framed our house Ďpre-covidí but I heard $38 per sheet in Montana.

I got lucky and was able to take my first lumber delivery and lock in my pricing when lumber got about a low as it had since the COVID spike. My zip sheathing ran be about $31 per sheet. Currently just north of $40 per sheet at Loweís.

The window itself is still plumb. The sill plate is only shimmed up 1/8-1/4Ē high on the inside of the jamb. Across a 2x6 stud itís really not much slope, just a little extra piece of mind that water wonít ever wander that direction. The windows themselves will then be installed in the rough opening on top of a couple 1/4Ē U shims and caulked between the nailing flange and the sheathing on the sides and top only. Then the sides and top will be flashed with more zip tape to make what should be a completely water tight seal around the window. We wonít caulk or tape the bottom of the window to allow any water that does ever happen to get in, a place to escape.

Windows and doors get delivered tomorrow. Since Iím using the zip system on both the walls and the roof, Iím hoping to get things buttoned up pretty well before the chance of rain starts creeping up later this week. (The framer still needs to sheath the inside of the parapet wall, then we will tape again)

Instead of the traditional moist stop flashing behind the sheathing, I am sealing the frame to the foundation with zip liquid flash for a more air tight connection. Iím trying to air seal the envelope of the house as much a reasonably possible.

Made some good progress this past week. Hoping to wrap framing up this week if the weather cooperates a little.

Last edited by Gclyde28; 02-07-2021 at 07:45 PM.
Gclyde28 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2021, 08:09 PM   #56
Acameron52
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Looks good man!! Iím in the same process myself being my own GC. Itís stressful as can be but so far itís been awesome!
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2021, 04:42 PM   #57
Gclyde28
Ten Point

Hoped for the weather to cooperate some but thatís not going to happen. A lot of the work thatís left is up on the roof and they didnít want to be up there with the foggy, misty day we had and I canít blame them. Ainít gonna be any better for the foreseeable future so it looks like Iíll get getting ahead on some purchasing through the weekend.

Measured for the front door today. Itíll be 4-6 weeks before itís made and installed but we should be good on time there.

Hereís where we stand for the time being. Got 3 windows left to install and the back patio hinge and sliding doors. Then the rest of the roof sheathing, zip taping, some interior ceiling details, and all the blocking/hardware and framing should be about wrapped up.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:18 PM   #58
Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montana

Nice windows!

Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2021, 06:56 PM   #59
Gclyde28
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Nice windows!

Appreciate it. Anderson 100 series are tough to beat for the value they provide.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:20 PM   #60
Cookiemonster1
Eight Point

Hunt In: lampasas,brady

Very nice!
Cookiemonster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 07:55 PM   #61
Gclyde28
Ten Point

A clean job site is a happy job site. The best way to keep a clean job site is to have a clean job site when a new trade shows up. Nobody wants to be the guy blamed for making a mess when itís obvious they did it.

Weíre just about wrapped up with framing. The structural engineer and the third party inspector are both scheduled for Monday. Just a little blocking left to do along with the upstairs attic decking. HVAC should get started next week. Plumbing in 7-10 days, electrical after that with low voltage being the last thing to take care of before we insulate.

Hoping to start building steam and try to get insulated and hopefully started on Sheetrock by the end of March.

Old 03-01-2021, 12:47 PM   #62
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Looking great. That's the cleanest jobsite I've ever seen.
Throwin Darts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 01:01 PM   #63
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

In and following. Love the concept.
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 08:49 PM   #64
DZM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shackelford, Jones, & Jack Counties, TX, & SE OK

Very nice
DZM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 09:11 PM   #65
Gclyde28
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin Darts View Post
Looking great. That's the cleanest jobsite I've ever seen.
Appreciate it. Keeping a clean job site is one of those things that doesn't take any skill and is just a little bit of effort. However, it makes a whole world of difference in the appearance of the site, and in turn, the appearance of the quality of the builder. It's not a given that a messy job site is ran by a shoddy builder whatsoever, but odds are, if the trades your builder is using care enough to clean up after themselves you're probably in pretty good hands.

Plus it's a heck of a lot easier to review work and create a punch list for each trade when you don't have to look through all the junk.

Last edited by Gclyde28; 03-02-2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:18 PM   #66
Gclyde28
Ten Point

Busy week this week! Finishing up interior frame punch work and should have trades starting to show up. Had plumbing fixtures delivered today. Recessed light housings should be showing up tomorrow. Plumber is supposed to be there either tomorrow afternoon or Thursday. HVAC contractor should be setting his buckets for location approval either tomorrow or Thursday as well and once we approve the bucket locations we'll turn him loose to starting running duct lines. I've got a site walk with electrician scheduled for Thursday as well but I'm going to need them to hold off for few days so everyone isn't stepping all over each other. Good problems to have!
Old 03-03-2021, 06:45 AM   #67
aggieman12
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen/East Wilco

Following. We are starting design and the wife is wanting to do a similar look.
aggieman12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 09:14 AM   #68
TxHamJello
Four Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto and Gillespie Counties

Looks like it is going to be an incredible home. Congrats on the progress!
TxHamJello is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 10:07 PM   #69
Gclyde28
Ten Point

Not quite through MEP yet but things are moving along nicely.

Got the drip septic system in, water yard line is installed (waiting on my meter from the city still), roof is installed, minor punch for plumbing and hvac rough still needed, electrician should wrap things up this week, low voltage guys should be there next week and fingers crossed we can get the spray foam insulation crew out there in two weeks.

Stucco guys are showing up to set up scaffold tomorrow so they can get rolling. The outside is coming along a lot swifter than inside.

Now if I could just figure out who the son of a gun is that stole my white oak ceiling material Iíd really be back on track.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:18 AM   #70
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Man this is looking awesome. I really like this! We are a little further along on our build and although it's stressful it's a blessing for sure. Congrats to you guys!
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 06:28 AM   #71
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

I like it !
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 07:11 AM   #72
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Looks good. Are you tiling the exterior walls?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 07:11 AM   #73
J.B.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Coming along nicely! Following!
J.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 08:03 AM   #74
Gclyde28
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
Looks good. Are you tiling the exterior walls?

Yup. My wife doesnít really care for stone or brick. She really wanted board formed concrete for the non-stucco areas but that just wasnít in the budget. So she settled on a dark grey concrete looking tile that we are going to install in a stacked bond pattern.

I installed some coroplast battens behind the durock to create a rain screen and facilitate draining should any water ever get back there. The tile will be horizontal, itís just set there vertically for my wife to approve the stucco color.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:35 AM   #75
Joe91009
Nubbin' Buck

Awesome!
Joe91009 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 08:47 AM   #76
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Very beautiful views and awesome home design.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 11:26 AM   #77
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gclyde28 View Post
Yup. My wife doesnít really care for stone or brick. She really wanted board formed concrete for the non-stucco areas but that just wasnít in the budget. So she settled on a dark grey concrete looking tile that we are going to install in a stacked bond pattern.

I installed some coroplast battens behind the durock to create a rain screen and facilitate draining should any water ever get back there. The tile will be horizontal, itís just set there vertically for my wife to approve the stucco color.
Gotcha! That will look good. You may want to waterproof your seams on that durock just to be extra safe. We do it on showers so it wouldn't hurt on this either I dont think. Especially since you dont have any soffits. Just my opinion as a builder.

Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 01:56 PM   #78
Low Fence
Pope & Young

On that dura rock you may want to waterproof it, with customs ďred guardĒ or mapie ďaqua defenseĒ

Concrete board is water ďsafeĒ but not water proof. It is basically a big sponge and will wick water to the closest evaporation place (inside walls, screws... into studs, ect)

Looking great though! Congratulations
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 03:00 PM   #79
Gclyde28
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
On that dura rock you may want to waterproof it, with customs ďred guardĒ or mapie ďaqua defenseĒ

Concrete board is water ďsafeĒ but not water proof. It is basically a big sponge and will wick water to the closest evaporation place (inside walls, screws... into studs, ect)

Looking great though! Congratulations
Thanks, definitely had that concern so I've accounted for that by installing furring strips of coroplast to bring the durock off the wall, that way the "sponge" isn't in contact with the zip sheathing/framing at any location. Installing furring strips is best practice for applying any siding, just more important in my case since the Durock absorbs more water than other typical materials.

This air gap created by the coroplast battens will allow plenty of ventilation behind it and I've done more than a few tests on it to make sure it drains and it worked like a champ. I also included a strip of brillo pad type of material to act as a "bug screen" at the bottom to prevent ants and other small bugs from getting up there.

I used all stainless steel screws to attach the Durock to prevent them from rusting out from the moisture as well.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:07 PM   #80
b1gwes
Four Point

Hunt In: College Station/ South Texas

Is this in the Reserve at lake Travis? Place looks awesome!
b1gwes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 11:35 PM   #81
cj_sandman
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba

Looking good so far!
cj_sandman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 06:27 AM   #82
Gclyde28
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gwes View Post
Is this in the Reserve at lake Travis? Place looks awesome!
Thanks. No its closer to town. Far west end of Oak Hill near the intersection of Circle Drive and Thomas Springs. We can see the backside of Spanish Oaks from our game room windows.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:42 PM   #83
Gclyde28
Ten Point

Work is crazy right now which has gotten me way behind schedule since I havenít been able to stay on top of everything like Iíd like to but Iím definitely happy with how things are turning out.

Stucco is pretty much done. ďFreestyleĒ smooth finish sure is a pain for the stucco contractor since it doesnít hide any imperfections for them but they knocked it out of the park.

The exterior wall tile is really kicking my butt but Iím super excited with how itís looking. My wife has been helping out and my dad has been coming up on the weekends to help as well. Everything laid out and done with intention makes the little details look super sharp. Little things like the sconces being centered perfectly on tiles and a perfect grout joint hitting right at the top of the window might not get noticed by many but itís little details like this that really make things look sharp. We also trimmed down the tiles over top of the window so ďfullĒ pieces line up across the window and there not a single column cut obviously shorter than any of the others. The back patio window hit perfect where we can have a grout joint right at the top and bottom of the window. Iím waiting on my Schluter corner trim to come in so I can miter the corners and really make things come together.

Hoping to get the tile around the garage door and down the wall to the front door completed this weekend. That will at least make me feel like the tile is more complete since that will more or less compete the front elevation.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:59 AM   #84
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Very unique design....I’m liking this more and more with each update. You guys are going to have a real gem on your hands. Congrats again!
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 10:05 AM   #85
Jzoch
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Coming along great!!
Jzoch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 10:18 AM   #86
RR 314
Pope & Young

Looks awesome. Good work by the family as well!
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 10:36 AM   #87
Bmaker8709
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, Indiana, Nebraska

Your project is looking great, thank you for all of the updates and photos. Being in the commercial construction industry, I can truly appreciate your attention to detail as well as the push for a clean, safe site. Good luck with the remainder of the build.
Bmaker8709 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 01:43 PM   #88
Gclyde28
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalArms View Post
Very unique design....Iím liking this more and more with each update. You guys are going to have a real gem on your hands. Congrats again!
Appreciate it! We've put a ton of work into it with a lot more ahead of us but we are starting to finally see it pay off as the finishes go up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmaker8709 View Post
Your project is looking great, thank you for all of the updates and photos. Being in the commercial construction industry, I can truly appreciate your attention to detail as well as the push for a clean, safe site. Good luck with the remainder of the build.
Thanks. I take a lot of pride in have a clean, organized job site. I view it as something that takes no skill, only effort, and makes a project look 10 fold more professional.