Help with arrow FOC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with arrow FOC

Currently I am shooting Easton Hexx 330 shafts with 50gr. inserts and 100gr. heads. My total weight with including broadhead is 428.2 gr. with 12.7% FOC. A couple questions first: Is my total arrow weight too light? Is that sufficient FOC? If I go to 125gr. heads with the same arrows, will that give me the 15%-17% FOC I am looking for? Will I have enough spine? Or, should I go to Easton Axis 300 shafts with 50gr. inserts and 125gr. heads. Arrow length from seat of nock to end of carbon is 29.75". I'm shooting Mathews Halon, 29" draw @ 70lbs.

There was a thread on here a while back about this topic when I went down this road. I called it FOC Increase. I'm not trying disparage you in any way at all.

Here's what I remember and learned.

Total arrow weight is not my goal. FOC is.
    Speed is not my goal
    FOC is.
    Build an arrow that has an acceptable trajectory to YOU.

Lots of animals have died with 12.7% FOC arrows. My arrows are in the 18% area right now. They weigh in between 503 - 508 grains.

For me to get to the 20%, goal is 20%+, I need to change spine. Which changes gpi, which changes weight needed up front which needs heavier spine etc, etc

Have you looked at Dr Ashby's study on Arrow Penetration? In think he's like 20 years into it now.

I know @enewman has been doing some testing and studying, even wrote an article or maybe it was a paper.
    @muddyfuzzy is one of our resident arrow gurus. There's others I just don't want they are.

As far as your setup goes. I'd get a fieldpoint test pack from Alaska Archery Supply, I know the sell them, 3Rivers Archery might, screw on a heavier too and see what happens. Watch for changes in accuracy and flight.

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
      There was a thread on here a while back about this topic when I went down this road. I called it FOC Increase. I'm not trying disparage you in any way at all.

Here's what I remember and learned.

Total arrow weight is not my goal. FOC is.
      Speed is not my goal
      FOC is.
      Build an arrow that has an acceptable trajectory to YOU.

Lots of animals have died with 12.7% FOC arrows. My arrows are in the 18% area right now. They weigh in between 503 - 508 grains.

For me to get to the 20%, goal is 20%+, I need to change spine. Which changes gpi, which changes weight needed up front which needs heavier spine etc, etc

Have you looked at Dr Ashby's study on Arrow Penetration? In think he's like 20 years into it now.

I know @enewman has been doing some testing and studying, even wrote an article or maybe it was a paper.
      @muddyfuzzy is one of our resident arrow gurus. There's others I just don't want they are.

As far as your setup goes. I'd get a fieldpoint test pack from Alaska Archery Supply, I know the sell them, 3Rivers Archery might, screw on a heavier too and see what happens. Watch for changes in accuracy and flight.

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Thank you for the information. And you are right, it seems to be a circle of FOC, weight, GPI, etc... I have read Dr. Ashby's article and that is what made me want to get a higher FOC. I guess what I don't know is how much weight up front means I need to get a stiffer spined shaft. I used to shoot Axis 340's and switched to the Hexx 330's because I could add the 50grs. up front and still have the same arrow weight. With this arrow, I have shot a large Oklahoma buck with complete pass through and a smaller TX hill country buck that didn't pass completely which surprised me, though though the broadhead did exit the other side. I want to make sure I have plenty of penetration. I have more than enough velocity, and would be willing to give some up for added penetration.

Comment

I’m like 460 ish around 15% blows through everything

Comment

300 spine spartan with some added weight up front 28” length

Comment

drop down to a 300 and add weight, you should finish out around 500 grains which is a great all round weight!

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
              Thank you for the information. And you are right, it seems to be a circle of FOC, weight, GPI, etc... I have read Dr. Ashby's article and that is what made me want to get a higher FOC. I guess what I don't know is how much weight up front means I need to get a stiffer spined shaft. I used to shoot Axis 340's and switched to the Hexx 330's because I could add the 50grs. up front and still have the same arrow weight. With this arrow, I have shot a large Oklahoma buck with complete pass through and a smaller TX hill country buck that didn't pass completely which surprised me, though though the broadhead did exit the other side. I want to make sure I have plenty of penetration. I have more than enough velocity, and would be willing to give some up for added penetration.
              https://www.3riversarchery.com/screw...-kit-5-16.html

This is the kit I was referring too.
              Use the different weight heads to set how your arrow reacts.

Comment

I shoot 60lb draw and 26.5" long Black Eagle X impacts at .300 spine, I have 305 grains on the front and a FOC of 24%, I havent got to fling these at an animal yet, but they fly pretty dang good

Comment

Search enewman, he does a lot with FOC and EFOC arrows

Comment

I shoot a 29” dl, I just built some Gt velocity shaft in 400 spine cut to 26 1/4” with a 100gr insert & 100gr head they come in at 440gr running 253fps but the foc is around 18% if I remember correctly. They fly awesome out of my 60lb synergy, I shoot this hog the night I torn my knee up & got a pass through. Not a complete pass through he still had about 8” of the arrow inside him but it exited the shield on the opposite side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m shooting 69#@28.5 running about 16-18%foc with an arrow weight around 475-480 shooting ram cats typically when my arrow makes impact I’m not sure if I hit the target as it just blows through just about Every thing I shoot.

Comment

I had muddyfuzzy build me a set at 555 with over 19% FOC. I loved them and they did everything I wanted and need them to do. I’m also a tinkerer and can go down rabbit holes during researching and reading articles. My current setup is around 575 grains with over 22% FOC. Yes they are heavy, I shoot 69# and 30” out of a Z7 Magnum, yes they are slow loving at around 260ish FPS, but when they’ve hit the targets while shooting with friends they’re even commented on how it sounds like a sledge hammer hitting the target. Look up Ranch Fairy on YouTube. He does a lot of testing and is very informative and knowledgeable on EFOC. I will say, the only downfall I’ve seen so far is I blew through my 3D target in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by CALopez View Post
                          I had muddyfuzzy build me a set at 555 with over 19% FOC. I loved them and they did everything I wanted and need them to do. I’m also a tinkerer and can go down rabbit holes during researching and reading articles. My current setup is around 575 grains with over 22% FOC. Yes they are heavy, I shoot 69# and 30” out of a Z7 Magnum, yes they are slow loving at around 260ish FPS, but when they’ve hit the targets while shooting with friends they’re even commented on how it sounds like a sledge hammer hitting the target. Look up Ranch Fairy on YouTube. He does a lot of testing and is very informative and knowledgeable on EFOC. I will say, the only downfall I’ve seen so far is I blew through my 3D target in a hurry.

260ish is not slow.

Comment

Are you hunting rhinos?
                            I had rotator surgery 13 weeks ago so I am shooting a very light bow right now 14 year old, 30# browning micro midas.
                            I got a complete pass through on a 90 # sow, and stuck a piglet that happen to be in the wrong spot. Arrow was 400grains 15% foc ,broadhead was a quad exodus 125.

I had been shooting 60# for years 425grain arrow tipped with 125 steelhead or 125 gravediggers, about 14% foc. Every critter deer , 350 # aoudad and, pigs has been a pass through.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post

260ish is not slow.
                              Not to me either, but the guys I hunt with both shoot light fast arrows out of a Vertix and an elite ritual so I was speaking more in comparison terms

Comment

Working...
                              X