Help with frayed / cut off lines PINS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with frayed / cut off lines PINS

So I have started to fish Padre Island North shore, PINS, and I have had an issue with cut off / frayed lines. I have lost three now all different brands Power Pro, Spider Wire and KaskKing. All of the lines are 100 to 80lb range with a ~100 yards 80lb mono shock leader. I am kayaking out bait past the 3rd sandbar in the 200 - 250 yard range. Then I use sand spikes on shore pretty high on the bank.

I used to fish near Galveston and never had an issue but on PINS I feel cursed. I have been fishing around the 5 and 7 mile marker. Maybe I need to run more shock leader, use floats on my line or maybe I am just in a bad part of PINS. Any ideas?

How long did you fish between cut offs?

It's common to happen quite often. I'm sure the pro's will chime in soon to help minimize though.

Comment

Shell bottom will do that. Try to get your lines up off the bottom. That is one reason a lot of guys use high racks.

Comment

Calling Poco!!! Help a brother out.

Comment

Fish more mono. I use a few hundred yards of braid backing and top it with several hundred yards of mono so the braid is usually never in the water.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
            Fish more mono. I use a few hundred yards of braid backing and top it with several hundred yards of mono so the braid is usually never in the water.
            This. You don’t want your braid in the water. Also, keep your rod high as stated above.

Comment

Just get you rods up in the air. Run them out of truck on extensions. You getting shell rash

Comment

More mono and get rod higher. It is just part of surf fishing. One thing Poco taught me was a leader float. So if you get cut off you can still go out and recover your expensive rig.

Comment

It may be spanish mackerel cutting it. I have had them do this using braid in the surf. I think they see it and bite it. But using more mono and keeping the braid out of the water should fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                    Exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

I go all braid, to a 50' 800lbs mono trace then the cable leader.
                      I do use a float (with 10-15' line) attached just behind the swivel on the heavy mono where it's attached to the braid.
                      This helps to keep braid up off the bottom.
                      Haven't had and sandbar issues since doing this. Still get the occasional clean cut line (smack or something).

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                        He’s retired

Comment

I got a perfect trailer for you to buy and get them rods way up there!

Comment

How long is your leader? And are you saying your hooking up the getting cut off? This happens to me alot starting out and my leaders were too short like 2-3ft. Made longer leaders and that stopped. Are you running any mono on the front end?
                            Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 07-02-2019, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                              He’s retired
                              Lol, it sure seems that way. I think He’ll be back at it next month, he wants a tiger pretty bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X