Sargent beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ar3731guy View Post
    surf is loaded with 2-3' sharks right now. last weekend on Matagorda, we couldn't keep them off our hooks with cut mullet just past second sandbar. yesterday some friends of mine were catching a shark on every other croaker looking for trout.
    Same with us.

Comment

Originally posted by pig out View Post
      Thanks for the info fellas. Bait wise looking for sting rays and possibly live shrimp Incase we chase some trout. Anybody drive east down the beach towards cedar lake? I’ve heard about Mitchell’s cut but we’re looking to get away from the crowds and we’re 4x4 challenged. We will be taking a 4x4 truck and our buddies will be meeting us in a 2wd. So really need somewhere 2wd friendly

Read on another thread where someone went by Mitchell’s cut today and estimated that there were about 30 boats around that cut just FYI

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
        Read on another thread where someone went by Mitchell’s cut today and estimated that there were about 30 boats around that cut just FYI

Sierracharlie out…
        Yup. That's any weekend

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
          Yup. That's any weekend
          Oh I know that’s right we have a place in Sargent.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Anybody been down to Matagorda today? Hows the beach and East Bay water? Storm surge? Looks like a west wind. We are heading down in the morning for a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
              Anybody been down to Matagorda today? Hows the beach and East Bay water? Storm surge? Looks like a west wind. We are heading down in the morning for a few days.
              No storm surge. Tides are actually pretty low. East bay is dirty. The west wind will have it a mudhole. The surf was good the last two days but we were getting a pretty solid swell going on today while we were out and I don't think it's going to hold with the west wind pumping. It's setting up to be a tough couple of days of fishing coming up.

Comment

Thanks for the info fellas. Bait wise looking for sting rays and possibly live shrimp Incase we chase some trout. Anybody drive east down the beach towards cedar lake? I’ve heard about Mitchell’s cut but we’re looking to get away from the crowds and we’re 4x4 challenged. We will be taking a 4x4 truck and our buddies will be meeting us in a 2wd. So really need somewhere 2wd friendly
                Remote beach with no crowds and 2wd do not equate.

Comment

Thanks for the water report CD. The kids will be pumped if they can catch a couple small sharks so I wont mind if I cant trout fish.

Comment

Originally posted by ar3731guy View Post
                    ill be heading down there on the 27th with the family if you want to tag along or meet up. I got plenty of big rods and we take a canopy and setup it up for comfort.
                    Thanks for the offer, if I wasn’t on call that weekend I’d be all over it!

Comment

Watch the tides.... unfortunately not alot of beach left on Sargent....I mean it's **** near gone that you can drive on if tide it high. Water was up the the concrete seawall last time I was there. I never knew there was a seawall under the sand as a kid because you couldn't see it. Easy to get stranded at the cuts. Let me know of any specific questions. Were there as much as we can be. Great town if you like quiet and fishing/nothing fancy

For bait you can't go wro g anywhere really on town but I like tipps if I'm going to the beach. Hang a left at the sign before the draw bridge old man's nice, always gave me fishing tips as a teenager and has been really friendly to my kid since he could walk
                      Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 07-15-2019, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Neither direction is 2wd friendly if you're trying to go to the cuts. If you want to fish the surf you can easily get away from the folks on packed ground though

Comment

Thanks for the insight screaminreels. We’re just trying to get far enough down the beach to avoid the crowds so we should be ok with 2wd. Sargent sounds to be exactly what we had in mind for our trip. How will camping be on the beach? Pretty quiet? Open to any other last minute advice gonna try to go down there this weekend if work allows.

Comment

Thanks for the insight screaminreels. We’re just trying to get far enough down the beach to avoid the crowds so we should be ok with 2wd. Sargent sounds to be exactly what we had in mind for our trip. How will camping be on the beach? Pretty quiet? Open to any other last minute advice gonna try to go down there this weekend if work allows.
                            Yeah, you aren't gonna get out of the crowd w/o a 4x4. That doesn't mean you shouldn't go and have fun. The more crowded areas are the areas that you can access w/o 4x4.

Camping on the beach will be pretty quiet most nights. Not many folks stay the night. The beach will empty out at dark. Take plenty of mosquito spray. While you may not see a single mosquito all day they sometimes come out in force at night on the beach.

Don't drive through any water and be careful of soft sand. It's real easy to end up stuck.

Comment

if its not a holiday weekend there really wont be a crowd. go left instead of right at the bridge and go past the houses and there are usually less people that direction

Comment

Working...
                              X