Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-07-2018, 10:29 AM   #1
DimmitCo
Four Point

Default Sous vide trimmed brisket point

I wanted to do a full packer (after trimming) but the brisket that arrived home from the store was a trimmed point from HEB. Will search around for timing a 6lb portion but contemplating starting tomorrow for consumption Sunday. After reading a few recipes, I think I'm going to smoke it first on a 170-200 temp for a few hours, Sous vide until desired temp, then finish back in smoker or oven to refirm the bark. Will update once the process starts.
DimmitCo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 11:11 AM   #2
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I'm in for boiled Brisket results
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 11:17 AM   #3
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

I'm not following the extra work here.

To each their own....but it seems like placing something in a vacuum sealed plastic bag under water would smash/ruin all that wonderful bark and flavor we work the first hours to obtain. Why go to all that trouble when you can put it in pan, cover with foil and put it in the oven after the smoking part is done if you don't want to finish on a smoker. The top layer of bark and the sides are untouched ...and spread evenly
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #4
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

I saw a trimmed 4 pound point at HEB just yesterday and had the thought of doing it SV. But that's only because I don't have access to a smoker at the apt. I don't follow your reasoning.
BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #5
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I think you're going from Ft Worth to Austin via El Paso...
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 11:27 AM   #6
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post

That is a great analogy...LMAO!
Old 12-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #7
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimmitCo View Post
I wanted to do a full packer (after trimming) but the brisket that arrived home from the store was a trimmed point from HEB. Will search around for timing a 6lb portion but contemplating starting tomorrow for consumption Sunday. After reading a few recipes, I think I'm going to smoke it first on a 170-200 temp for a few hours, Sous vide until desired temp, then finish back in smoker or oven to refirm the bark. Will update once the process starts.
I donít know what the results will be but I get it.

The trick to a great brisket (which I canít do and rarely experience) is for it to be smoked yet tender and juicy. The problem is cooking too fast or too long making it dry and tough. A perfectly cooked brisket might arguably be the best piece of meat out there however a crappy dried out brisket might as well be chopped up, covered with barbecue sauce and put on a bun as a sandwich.

A good brisket is done correctly by people putting in many hours of tending the pit and knowing what you are doing or (Heaven forbid) smoking it a couple of hours and finishing in the oven. A SV brisket would be the finishing in the oven version but instead sealed and not having the oven (or pit) problem of guessing (or having enough experience) to know when it is done. Unlike the oven or pit, SV final doneness and temperature is precise.

I get it. I hope it comes out like desired.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #8
DimmitCo
Four Point

Is this the Six Sigma forum?
Old 12-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #9
Ouch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a camo banana hammock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
SV final doneness and temperature is precise.

In my experience, any piece of meat left too long in a SV bath becomes mealy.

I also hope it works out for OP, but I tend to side with Smart in his assessment that the SV bath will ruin any bark achieved in the initial smoke.

Personally, if I were looking to SV a brisket point, Texas BBQ brisket wouldn't be my goal. Think pearl onions, carrots, celery, S&P, fresh herbs... a traditional Jewish style. Yum.
Ouch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 02:45 PM   #10
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I'd sous vide a brisket for corned beef, but not a smoked brisket. Smoke it for 6 hours and then finish it in the oven if you don't want to deal with tending the pit. I wouldn't go below 200F either.
sir shovelhands is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 02:50 PM   #11
chillz
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri, Wisconsin

I'm in agreement that you would miss out on some bark. Definitely curious to see how it turns out.
chillz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 03:02 PM   #12
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma / San Saba Co.

Why don't you just use the Insta-pot?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 03:59 PM   #13
DimmitCo
Four Point

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakin7005 View Post
Why don't you just use the Insta-pot?

Maybe it's because I don't want to use the Insta-pot?
Old 12-07-2018, 04:02 PM   #14
Lawhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Maybe it's because I don't want to use the Insta-pot?
There ya have it
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 04:24 PM   #15
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to gain by using the SV in the middle of the process...retaining more moisture?

My gut tells me whatever benefit you get from it won't be worth the trouble on a piece that small, but I'm curious to see how it turns out. On a piece that small, I would want all the smoke time available to build that bark.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 11:21 PM   #16
DimmitCo
Four Point

Maybe, just maybe, like you guys I've smoked a few briskets in my time on my Backwoods Smoker?
Instead of the traditional ways, I figured I would try something that *appears* to deliver more consistent results at the desired timing. Biggest variable is the desired timing of being done. Second biggest variable is ensuring that I have the right combination of rendering the fat without overdoing/undercooking it. In my research I've seen brisket that you'd never know was done partially SV...even for the bark. And the Sous vide method I'm trying for the brisket turned out incredibly well for a pork butt last month. Maybe it works well, maybe it turns out like ****. Either way, I'm curious to try, so we'll see the results of this experiment soon
Old 12-07-2018, 11:29 PM   #17
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
A SV brisket would be the finishing in the oven version but instead sealed and not having the oven (or pit) problem of guessing (or having enough experience) to know when it is done. Unlike the oven or pit, SV final doneness and temperature is precise.

Not following you. Its not hard to seal a brisket in a foiled pan with a foil top. Running a digital thermo through the top and into the brisket where it needs to be, leads to no guessing on the smoker or oven and no bark destruction..
Old 12-08-2018, 12:56 AM   #18
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

Quote:
Maybe, just maybe, like you guys I've smoked a few briskets in my time on my Backwoods Smoker?
Instead of the traditional ways, I figured I would try something that *appears* to deliver more consistent results at the desired timing. Biggest variable is the desired timing of being done. Second biggest variable is ensuring that I have the right combination of rendering the fat without overdoing/undercooking it. In my research I've seen brisket that you'd never know was done partially SV...even for the bark. And the Sous vide method I'm trying for the brisket turned out incredibly well for a pork butt last month. Maybe it works well, maybe it turns out like ****. Either way, I'm curious to try, so we'll see the results of this experiment soon
Maybe Iím just as crazy as you since being an experimenter is in my nature.
Good luck.
In for the results.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2018, 05:46 AM   #19
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Not following you. Its not hard to seal a brisket in a foiled pan with a foil top. Running a digital thermo through the top and into the brisket where it needs to be, leads to no guessing on the smoker or oven and no bark destruction..
I didnít say it was hard.

Temperature is usually the goal of cooking beef. Whether you want the center rare, medium, etc.

The attraction of SV is that you can set it at your desired ending point and walk away.

It will reach your target temperature and never go higher while sealing all of the juices inside.

You are correct about the thermometer in the brisket but the very reason for the thermometer is to take it out when you reach the desired temp. In other words, it has to be monitored. The SV takes that variable out. The water temp in effect is the thermometer.

As mentioned SV will eventually turn the meat to mush. You canít leave meat in SV indefinitely unless you want jellied meat. But... with more room for error, less monitoring and a target temperature preset, it can be an alternative method of finishing a brisket than putting it in a foil tent and keeping a closer eye on it.

I didnít recommend it and I donít know if it will work. I only said that I understand the idea (I get it) and curious of the results.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2018, 05:54 AM   #20
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Let's wait on the results fellas!!

Don't have the fancy water cooker but I could see the use of starting the brisket in the water bath to get some temp in it and follow up/finish on the pit...

In for the result and pics...
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2018, 06:26 AM   #21
zztex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Is this the Six Sigma forum?
I follow you. Haha
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2018, 07:52 AM   #22
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mitchell, County

I did a prime rib kind of like this and it turns out alot better then y'all think. Sous vide is a really good way to cook and produced amazing products. I mean brisket may be a bit different but I've used it for everything I can think of and produces juicy tender product from everything.
scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #23
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Clever Dale!

In for pics op.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2018, 09:13 AM   #24
Smart
Pope & Young

Default Sous vide trimmed brisket point

Quote:
I didnít say it was hard.

Temperature is usually the goal of cooking beef. Whether you want the center rare, medium, etc.

The attraction of SV is that you can set it at your desired ending point and walk away.

It will reach your target temperature and never go higher while sealing all of the juices inside.

You are correct about the thermometer in the brisket but the very reason for the thermometer is to take it out when you reach the desired temp. In other words, it has to be monitored. The SV takes that variable out. The water temp in effect is the thermometer.

As mentioned SV will eventually turn the meat to mush. You canít leave meat in SV indefinitely unless you want jellied meat. But... with more room for error, less monitoring and a target temperature preset, it can be an alternative method of finishing a brisket than putting it in a foil tent and keeping a closer eye on it.

I didnít recommend it and I donít know if it will work. I only said that I understand the idea (I get it) and curious of the results.

Hell my digital thermometer with wireless remote has an alarm on it I put in my pocket while I work or mow the lawn. Thatís pretty **** effortless

Good luck OP!
Old 12-08-2018, 09:32 AM   #25
Bruiser
Ten Point

what a waste of time
Bruiser is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #26
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma / San Saba Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Hell my digital thermometer with wireless remote has an alarm on it I put in my pocket while I work or mow the lawn. Thatís pretty **** effortless

Good luck OP!
Which one you got? I hate my igrill by Webber. It's Bluetooth and once I move more than 10 yards away I lose the signal.

bakin7005 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2018, 11:49 AM   #27
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakin7005 View Post
Which one you got? I hate my igrill by Webber. It's Bluetooth and once I move more than 10 yards away I lose the signal.

Maverick ET-732.....I sit in my house in my home office on the front side of the house and have no issues
Old 12-08-2018, 12:04 PM   #28
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

A buddy at work did a sous vide brisket and it was great. Not sure how he did it but it was really good.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #29
BamaPSE
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern CA/Trinity, TX/Tenn.

I understand both sides of this debate but for those who have not cooked much with a Sous Vide, please do spend time cooking with it before before ushering concrete opinion on it. There is certainly room for experimentation and I personally think that is a cool option. Whether it’s traditional or not and accepted or Poo pooed on by some, the Sous Vide can give you finished meat quality that almost no other style of cooking provides. The research in protein breakdown using Sous Vide (especially in beef) is a compelling argument for it use with a brisket. Good on you OP for thinking outside the box and keep us posted on the finished product!
BamaPSE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2018, 12:41 PM   #30
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Quote:
Let us know the results, only thing I would be concerned about is if the guest asked " where the hell did you get this brisket " LOL, that could be good or bad.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2018, 12:42 PM   #31
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

How was it??
Johnny Dangerr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2018, 03:07 PM   #32
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Any update?
Old 12-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #33
DimmitCo
Four Point

Consuming tomorrow. Turns out it's only 4lbs and heavily trimmed. Will stay in smoker for 2-3hrs at 260, then putting in the SV at 170 for 18-24hrs.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:09 PM   #34
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Are you gonna put it back on the smoker or in the oven after the 18-24 in the SV?
Old 12-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #35
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

How many people you planning to feed with it tomorrow?

I've never done SV so this is new to me.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:45 PM   #36
Leemo
Ten Point

I already forgot what he’s cooking
Leemo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2018, 05:49 PM   #37
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
what a waste of time
Brisket....yes it is!

Ribeye baby!
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2018, 06:10 PM   #38
DimmitCo
Four Point

Seasoned heavily with a rub of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, with mustard to make it stick. Started 2pm in the Backwoods. Left alone until pulled at 5, vacuum-sealed and into SV bath. Internal temp was 148 out of the smoker.
SV'ing at 170. Until tomorrow...
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #39
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Are there special bags used for the SV'ing process or are they just the regular vaccum seal type??
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2018, 06:49 PM   #40
HoustonHunter94
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Are there special bags used for the SV'ing process or are they just the regular vaccum seal type??

Regular ol vacuum seal bags is just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HoustonHunter94 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2018, 06:50 PM   #41
refugioco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio County

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.str View Post
I did a prime rib kind of like this and it turns out alot better then y'all think. Sous vide is a really good way to cook and produced amazing products. I mean brisket may be a bit different but I've used it for everything I can think of and produces juicy tender product from everything.
My son does a SV brisket that is very good. Trying something new is one of the pleasures of cooking.
refugioco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2018, 08:11 PM   #42
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

It looks good out of the smoker
Old 12-09-2018, 12:09 PM   #43
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Today's the day!
Old 12-09-2018, 07:21 PM   #44
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

up.................
Johnny Dangerr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2018, 07:31 PM   #45
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

results?
Javelin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2018, 07:36 PM   #46
DimmitCo
Four Point

The plan was to eat it for a late lunch, but naturally there was an audible so just ate for dinner. It turned out very good. Will update later with pictures and my thoughts on pros/cons compared to traditional smoking.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:47 PM   #47
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

Quote:
I donít know what the results will be but I get it.

The trick to a great brisket (which I canít do and rarely experience) is for it to be smoked yet tender and juicy. The problem is cooking too fast or too long making it dry and tough. A perfectly cooked brisket might arguably be the best piece of meat out there however a crappy dried out brisket might as well be chopped up, covered with barbecue sauce and put on a bun as a sandwich.

A good brisket is done correctly by people putting in many hours of tending the pit and knowing what you are doing or (Heaven forbid) smoking it a couple of hours and finishing in the oven. A SV brisket would be the finishing in the oven version but instead sealed and not having the oven (or pit) problem of guessing (or having enough experience) to know when it is done. Unlike the oven or pit, SV final doneness and temperature is precise.

Wow.
All my brisket are both tender and juicy.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2018, 07:55 PM   #48
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

There is a limit to the amount of smoke any brisket can absorb. The rest of the time is rendering the fat and getting the bark.

Ive had the precooked brisket from Franklin's. They come shrink wrapped and the suggested heating method is just to boil it for an hour or so. I have no doubt yours would taste good. I think the big task is getting the texture right.

I'm interested!
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #49
DimmitCo
Four Point

Here's the brisket just after pulling from the SV at 5pm.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2018, 09:38 PM   #50
DimmitCo
Four Point

The original plans to eat at 1pm changed, so because of the extra 4hrs in SV, I ended up putting on direct heat inside the smoker (not smoking it) for 20min to re-firm the bark. We consumed 5:45pm. The full point pictures are failing to upload. Here's a plate piece:
Attached Images