Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-16-2018, 10:36 PM   #351
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson/Cooke

Buddy shot a spike in cooke..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
hully1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 10:37 PM   #352
MBV77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Except itís not a spike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBV77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2018, 01:59 AM   #353
hully1029
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBV77 View Post
Except itís not a spike

Close enough.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #354
MBV77
Ten Point

Got his brother chasing a doe all over the place in front of me right now. Looks almost identical to him except this one has a little longer brow tine and is a little wider.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:21 PM   #355
blide
Four Point

Hunt In: Grayson

Had an all day sit on Sunday. Small spike and doe with fawn pass by around 9am.
blide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2018, 09:50 PM   #356
ChiefLA3
Spike

Update. So far my side of cook has been an acorn fest small bucks just now getting on their feet searching for does big dawgs havenít shown yet and Iím worried with all the rain and good browse and acorns they may go lockdown and all I can hope for is a hot doe showing up in my section. Literally first 3 year old buck showed up on cam last week with the cold front. Nothing all year besides does before that. Strange season. Hoping it gets better. Only had a few buck encounters the year before and passed on a 7 in bow range cuz it was a one buck lease. Still regretting that chip shot 15 yarder to this day. Hasaw a good young buck chasing a doe the other day on the neighbors while I was checkin cams. I think itís about to heat up.
ChiefLA3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2018, 09:52 PM   #357
hully1029
Pope & Young

definitely alot of movement going on.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:58 PM   #358
MBV77
Ten Point

Default Any Grayson or Cooke county reports??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefLA3 View Post
Update. So far my side of cook has been an acorn fest small bucks just now getting on their feet searching for does big dawgs havenít shown yet and Iím worried with all the rain and good browse and acorns they may go lockdown and all I can hope for is a hot doe showing up in my section. Literally first 3 year old buck showed up on cam last week with the cold front. Nothing all year besides does before that. Strange season. Hoping it gets better. Only had a few buck encounters the year before and passed on a 7 in bow range cuz it was a one buck lease. Still regretting that chip shot 15 yarder to this day. Hasaw a good young buck chasing a doe the other day on the neighbors while I was checkin cams. I think itís about to heat up.

Where are you at in Cooke? Iíve seen three 7ís that are just forked on one side.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:17 PM   #359
ChiefLA3
Spike

I’m near callisberg. Near the river and 371.
Saw 3 7s last year. Two in bow range it’s like they were the dominant bucks last year which was the ****dest thing cuz there were Biggers ones on trail cam that were just night walkers even while rut was going on.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #360
MBV77
Ten Point

Quote:
Iím near callisberg. Near the river and 371.
Saw 3 7s last year. Two in bow range itís like they were the dominant bucks last year which was the ****dest thing cuz there were Biggers ones on trail cam that were just night walkers even while rut was going on.

Youíre probably pretty close to me then. Iím right off of 371 just north of 2383 by Walnut Bend.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #361
hully1029
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBV77 View Post
Youíre probably pretty close to me then. Iím right off of 371 just north of 2383 by Walnut Bend.

My old working grounds.. loved that area

Still go up there alot when going to cr 110 or 127 bluffs.. or take 106 across to 103.. lots of pretty country up there

Last edited by hully1029; 11-20-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #362
ChiefLA3
Spike

Good deal! In the blind this mornin and 3 does so far. Left my **** release in the truck but brought a rifle just in case so looks like if senor muy grande steps out smoke pole is the only option ������*♂️
Old 11-21-2018, 08:42 AM   #363
hully1029
Pope & Young

Quote:
Good deal! In the blind this mornin and 3 does so far. Left my **** release in the truck but brought a rifle just in case so looks like if senor muy grande steps out smoke pole is the only option ������*
Good luck! I'll be in far southeast Cooke this afternoon in a blind with the family. Hoping to drop another fatty doe.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #364
kraigrrr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson county, Hagerman area

In Grayson...I have had several doe and a few good bucks.... moving all day still... I am still seeing a lot of chasing.... this afternoon should be good... almost hit a deer last night on the way home...
kraigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2018, 09:49 AM   #365
SB09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor and Grayson Counties

Mine are getting closer and close to daylight. Passed the 7 up this morning waiting on his friend. They both followed a doe in to the camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
SB09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2018, 12:20 PM   #366
LukeDuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas, Louisiana

I saw a mature buck and doe paired up 2 nights ago while pig hunting with thermal in S Grayson co.
LukeDuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2018, 05:02 PM   #367
blide
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB09 View Post
Mine are getting closer and close to daylight. Passed the 7 up this morning waiting on his friend. They both followed a doe in to the camera.

I’m in SE Grayson and haven’t had any large buck feeder sightings yet, but I do have a large resident buck consistently inspecting the doe’s around 8:30 am. He’s pretty stought with medium rack, so waiting to see if any other big boys come to visit his turf.

Also following your rut dates and the local weather to plan my upcoming hunts, so thanks for posting an update!
Old 11-21-2018, 05:16 PM   #368
SB09
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by blide View Post
Iím in SE Grayson and havenít had any large buck feeder sightings yet, but I do have a large resident buck consistently inspecting the doeís around 8:30 am. Heís pretty stought with medium rack, so waiting to see if any other big boys come to visit his turf.

Also following your rut dates and the local weather to plan my upcoming hunts, so thanks for posting an update!

I feel like the Does arenít quite receptive just yet. Still in the sort of spot and stalk phase it seems like for the bucks. They arenít all out chasing them down justtt yet. Historically speaking, the week after Thanksgiving is when it turns all the way on for us. Last year there was a Buck shot on the 27th and we had multiple daylight sightings of all sorts of different bucks that week leading up to that.

I was really surprised to see two mature bucks together and be able to tolerate one another. That might have been why I only saw the 7 this morning because the other buck ran him off. Although, I figured the 7 would have won that disagreement since he weighs a good 10-20lbs more than the other. I guess body weight isnít everything in the Deer world.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:56 PM   #369
hully1029
Pope & Young

Sat this evening and had 5 does come in. Put up a new popup blind and soon as they came out, I was cold busted. There was more blowing going on than Harry Hines on a Saturday night.. gonna give that blind a rest and hit it next week..

Old 11-24-2018, 05:13 PM   #370
blide
Four Point

Any updates out there? I'm going our tomorrow and Monday morning, so thought I would see how everyone is doing.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:12 PM   #371
hully1029
Pope & Young

See young bucks chasing hard.. I usually gauge the rut by how many car vs deer crashes I work, and theres been several..

Old 11-24-2018, 08:02 PM   #372
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke, Denton

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
I'm ready for the worst season ever to be over. Hopefully some of the bucks that I had pics of made it, they'll only be bigger next year. I'm bringing a dozer in after season to clear for some plots, I have to change something. These past 2 seasons have been terrible, I never would have thought I could have a season as bad as last year, this year blows it out of the water.

That was 2016. Here we are 2018 and it has gotten worse. My only explanation is more people hunting. Has to be. Land has divided and sold and everybody is hunting their 10 acre "ranch". It has gone from having some phenomenal deer to really not even having any mature bucks to hunt. Its not us pressuring it for sure. 5 sits total since season opened this year. Way less than we ever have.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2018, 08:07 PM   #373
Regular7
Four Point

We just don’t have a lot of 6-8 year old bucks. That age class is pretty much missing from the drought in 2011&2012
Regular7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2018, 06:34 PM   #374
Regular7
Four Point

There were 7 bucks hit on 75 between County Line Rd and FM 1417 sometime today
Regular7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2018, 09:17 PM   #375
blide
Four Point

Had a few 2 to 3 yr olds running around today. No doe's or big bucks. The wind was crazy though. - Hopefully rut gets cranked up soon on my area.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:46 PM   #376
Ruttin&Struttin
Eight Point

Hunt In: North Texas, South East Texas, Hill Country

I think it is more of the change to the landscape than anything. New homes going in, widening roads and all the human activities has caused the "old bucks" to change their historic routes. This season has been a rough one for sure. I haven't seen but 5 deer on my place in SW Grayson. I also hunt in SE Grayson and that place is a nursery of young bucks. I've seen two bucks on camera that are 4 years old or older. One is a heck of a buck.
Personally I think things will get better in December when they need to start focusing on food.
Ruttin&Struttin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2018, 06:37 AM   #377
ChiefLA3
Spike

Hoping for the better in the next few weeks but hope is dim with seeing no mature bucks even on cam. Not sure if it was the flooding this year or the pressure but out of all the 2,000 acres no one has seen a 5 year old deer yet besides a few in early November and this freak spike we have it there they call the unicorn.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:09 PM   #378
Perkins7581
Ten Point

Big mature bucks have been cruising since nov 10.
Perkins7581 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2018, 09:04 PM   #379
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
That was 2016. Here we are 2018 and it has gotten worse. My only explanation is more people hunting. Has to be. Land has divided and sold and everybody is hunting their 10 acre "ranch". It has gone from having some phenomenal deer to really not even having any mature bucks to hunt. Its not us pressuring it for sure. 5 sits total since season opened this year. Way less than we ever have.
I have a buddy up there that got his place in 2012 and had legit monsters on it the first few years and it has tailed off significantly since then. Pressure is the only reason he can come up with.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2018, 09:41 PM   #380
blide
Four Point

I'm hitting the stand on Saturday and Sunday - Anyone see any hard core rut/post rut action?
Old 11-29-2018, 10:12 PM   #381
Grayson
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by blide View Post
I'm hitting the stand on Saturday and Sunday - Anyone see any hard core rut/post rut action?
Weather killed it.
Grayson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2018, 11:40 PM   #382
muzzyslinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson and Fannin Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb09 View Post
mine are getting closer and close to daylight. Passed the 7 up this morning waiting on his friend. They both followed a doe in to the camera.

sent from my iphone using tapatalk pro
jason??
muzzyslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2018, 08:00 AM   #383
SB09
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzyslinger View Post
jason??
Not I.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:31 AM   #384
Dead
Nubbin' Buck

Drew back on a doe at 40 yards and phone fell out of my pocket ��
Dead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2018, 02:30 PM   #385
blide
Four Point

Definite rut action in SE Grayson this morning. Had a single doe wonder into my setup and it was like someone flipped a switch! A 2yr old comes running full speed from the South and then a 5yr comes crashing through the thicket. They stand off and then both chase after the doe.

Good times!

Last edited by blide; 12-02-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #386
Savage Coyote
Six Point

Hunt In: North TX

My wife has seen my target buck several times through out the day in the area, but he never shows when I'm in the stand. I saw him in my back field while I was walking to the stand but it was 5:40am. Been a frustrating season so far!
Savage Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #387
SB09
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Coyote View Post
My wife has seen my target buck several times through out the day in the area, but he never shows when I'm in the stand. I saw him in my back field while I was walking to the stand but it was 5:40am. Been a frustrating season so far!

At least you arenít the only one in the area that seems like they canít get on the same page with the right buck...

Old 12-03-2018, 09:21 PM   #388
blide
Four Point

Quote:
This happened to me last year, so I changed my hunting schedule and moved to a different spot. Then setup a chair in a cedar near an area I thought was being utilized and sure enough he popped out right in front of me.

Lesson learned: He had me patterned. The bucks aren't smart they just react quickly and are in it for survival. We're hunting for sport, so comfort and our fixed mindset tends to limit our options.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #389
dsliland
Four Point

Cameras on feeders and hand corn slowed down quite a bit. My 2 cameras on trails weren't working, one had SD card lock other not switched on... The only consistent mature deer that came around hasn't been on camera past 10 days. looked like does broke off from fawns. young bucks still on hand corn. Cattle guy mowed and bailed a lot of the good cover last week. Rain is keeping the bottomland too wet. Upland has a lot of cows on it. All in all, not going well which seem about right.
In 2015 I had a bunch of young deer, now only see a few younger deer. more people are hunting in the area, or so it seems, only because of the unbrushed pop ups about 10 yards from roads that I have seen.
dsliland is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #390
Savage Coyote
Six Point

Quote:
At least you arenít the only one in the area that seems like they canít get on the same page with the right buck...

This guy's going to die of old age before anyone puts an arrow in him I'm thinking. I've seen him in daylight photos four times in almost four years now; yet my wife has seen him across from our place twice at 10am last week. Sigh.

Also have some hogs that decide to check our place out so I'm on the hunt for them too...
Old 12-04-2018, 03:17 PM   #391
SB09
Pope & Young

Default Any Grayson or Cooke county reports??

Quote:
This guy's going to die of old age before anyone puts an arrow in him I'm thinking. I've seen him in daylight photos four times in almost four years now; yet my wife has seen him across from our place twice at 10am last week. Sigh.

Also have some hogs that decide to check our place out so I'm on the hunt for them too...

Sadly, a lot of bucks in our bottom meet that fate. Theyíre no doubt the toughest Deer Iíve ever hunted. Kill all those hogs!

My Brother and a friend have been running dogs all year down there and still canít keep up.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #392
Savage Coyote
Six Point

Quote:
Sadly, a lot of bucks in our bottom meet that fate. Theyíre no doubt the toughest Deer Iíve ever hunted. Kill all those hogs!

My Brother and a friend have been running dogs all year down there and still canít keep up.

It's pretty frustrating honestly. I do think this guy has shifted his territory over to my place more so than in other years and his rack is a little "smaller" than in previous years. I've been out solid since mid November and only seen two of the seven pigs who ran. I loosed an arrow but missed. I'll switch to guns next time
Old 12-05-2018, 05:07 PM   #393
blide
Four Point

Oh wow it was on like donkey kong today! Bucks running crazy in SE Grayson.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #394
Savage Coyote
Six Point

Yeah my target buck was strutting for some doe's in the field across the road from my place. Got to watch him at dusk taunt and tease me.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #395
Savage Coyote
Six Point

Of course while I'm at work, the ghost shows up when I would have been there had I been hunting. Joy!

Old 12-07-2018, 11:00 AM   #396
Ruttin&Struttin
Eight Point

Hunt In: North Texas, South East Texas, Hill Country

That's a great buck.
Ruttin&Struttin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 11:16 AM   #397
krod777
Spike

Hunt In: Montague,Cooke

Now thats a wide one!
krod777 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 01:25 PM   #398
LukeDuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas, Louisiana

Rut appears to be over, but good news is mature bucks appear to be serious about hitting the feed now!
LukeDuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #399
Savage Coyote
Six Point

So wife texts me and is like, "he's here! He's here!" She saw him come from my feeding area and walk to about fourty yards of the house while one our Pom's was out doing its business. Dog barks at him and he just keeps walking like he doesn't have a care in the world.

yes, I hunted yesterday from like 2:30 till dark and saw nothing. Sigh.

She said he's walking slow and limping. Hope he can hobble on back this weekend...
Old 12-11-2018, 09:49 PM   #400
blide
Four Point

Nice! He's definitely giving you a run for the money. Keep up the hunt because it sounds like he's hanging around.