Painting old truck cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting old truck cheap

We were giving my wife grandfathers truck when he passed away a few weeks back. It is a 1994 Dodge Dakota Sport with the 3.9L magnum engine. Single cab 2 wheel drive. My 15 year old son wants to keep it for his first truck. We are going to take it to the shop for a complete mechanical and safety assessment and fix those things first. Next is to try and make it look half way decent on a redneck budget. We are going to take all the inside trim out, sand and paint. Carpet has been removed and going to be scrubbed down and washed best we can. Seat cover, dash cover and steering wheel cover. We will need to paint it before doing the bed liner in the bed. I watched a couple videos where people roll on Rustoleum paint it does not look half bad. I was thinking of buying a somewhat cheap paint sprayer and spraying it. I have never painted with a sprayer before much less painted a vehicle. What is the green screens thoughts on best way to paint the truck? We will sand it as best we can, primer and paint. We do not want to bed liner the whole truck.

Thanks,

Check out the rustolem paint job, i did it to a ranch truck years ago still on there and shines good...

Comment

You could bed liner the whole pickup.

Comment

I have seen a few videos on this new Turbo Paint.....I think it is Rust-Oleum also.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m looking a plasti coating our fifteen passenger van. Super cheap, looks super easy and best thing is you can peel it off if you don’t like it

Comment

Harbor freight purple gun. Does pretty good.

Comment

quickly sand body with orbital sander, 120, 400, 1000 grit, wipe with paint thinner wrag, harbor freight hvlp gun for $20 and cheap pressure regulator. Need about 1.5 gallon of single stage paint, small can of thinner and small can of hardener.
              Spray cardboard first to get good pattern, then go after it, it is way better to lightly coat several times than one thick coat.

If you care enough, go to English Color and Paint and they will blow your mind with info. They have reasonably priced quality auto paint. Their help and expertise alone is worth the price.

Comment

Buy cheap single stage automotive grade paint before you go the rustoleum route....there are economical options out there...u will thank me later

Comment

I would check out Maaco or Earl Scheib. I had a 2001 accord, all the clear coat peeled. Took it to them. They redid the paint and clear coat. Looked great for the cost.

Comment

I painted my livestock trailer with some metallic gray paint. Looks terrible. I've been using paint spray guns for years and have lots of related equipment. It takes some knowledge that I apparently don't have to spray metallic paint and have it look good. Stay with a gloss solid color base coat then go back over it with a clear coat. Watch lots of video before you tackle the truck job.

Comment

Single stage paint. A garage with the water heater pilot light off. Tarp walls with plastic couple of box fans for ventilation. Wet down floor. Water trap and filter on air compressor. Sprayed a couple in the past. Would do again if I had a shop. I’d use single stage no clear coat from a auto paint store. If not available out in the country I’d use implement paint or rustoluem. Listen to advise on here, YouTube also and glean what information you can. If you go Maaco get it ready and insist on a clear coat. Some have great deals I believe between Christmas and New Years on the clear coat package. Just some ideas.

Comment

I would just take it to your local Maaco and get the cheapo paint job. ~$300

Comment

Working...
                        X