Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-25-2021, 05:37 PM   #1
Katsaregood
Four Point

Default Found out how youíre supposed to drive in Oklahoma

I was doing it all wrong going the speed limit. Youíre supposed to drive like a bat out of hell. Especially if youíre driving a Petebilt pulling a loaded 53í van trailer. Tailgate as close as possible and go 85+ as long as the wheels will stay on the pavement. Never mind all the crosses along the way from motorists who died. Youíd think CDL holders would use at least some caution but apparently thatís for sissies too.
Katsaregood is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 05:39 PM   #2
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

How do you know it was loaded?
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 05:42 PM   #3
Katsaregood
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
How do you know it was loaded?
I know the company the driver works for and where he hauls from. Heavy haul trucking is what I do in addition to other things.

It’s not just one driver, it’s just how things are now even in rural parts.

Last edited by Katsaregood; 04-25-2021 at 05:44 PM.
Katsaregood is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 05:45 PM   #4
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsaregood View Post
I know the company the driver works for and where he hauls from. Heavy haul trucking is what I do in addition to other things.

Itís not just one driver, itís just how things are now even in rural parts.
Thought you might have some X-ray vision!
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 05:50 PM   #5
bluemarlin
Four Point

Hunt In: worldwide

That's Life in the Hammer Lane.
I'm not a state trooper but a long nose Pete on your tail is the universal sign to merge to the lane on your right.
bluemarlin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 05:53 PM   #6
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

I love it when the trucks are hauling ***. Get right on their 6 and draft as long as I can.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 06:03 PM   #7
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX, North TX, & SE Oklahoma

I'd rather them drive 85 than 65 in the left lane. Was he on your butt with you in the right hand lane?
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 06:06 PM   #8
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemarlin View Post
That's Life in the Hammer Lane.
I'm not a state trooper but a long nose Pete on your tail is the universal sign to merge to the lane on your right.
I was thinking the same thing
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 06:15 PM   #9
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

I wish people in Texas would learn to drive like that.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 06:15 PM   #10
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoods View Post
I'd rather them drive 85 than 65 in the left lane. Was he on your butt with you in the right hand lane?
Haha, I wasn't there but I doubt it!
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 06:18 PM   #11
Box-R
Four Point

Why don't people understand "slower traffic keep right"?
Box-R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 06:23 PM   #12
Outback77
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Azle, Caddo, Barksdale and anywhere I get invited

My trips through OK, I felt drivers had a better understanding of alert lane passing only than TX did
Outback77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 06:24 PM   #13
JDH875
Eight Point

Hunt In: All over TX
Default Slow traffic keep right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box-R View Post
This!!!!
JDH875 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 06:42 PM   #14
Horn chaser
Ten Point

Living in Oklahoma and working in Texas everyday this is my biggest complaint about either state. In Oklahoma someone is going to turn in front of you while your doing 65 (the speed Limit) on a 2 lane road and make you have to swerve around them in on coming traffic lane or slam on your brakes. In Grayson county it seems like everyone still thinks the speed limit is 65 when its 75 and clogs highway 75 up. I don't see this anywhere else in Texas I travel. Also for any of you Texas drivers if you ever drive through a little town called Achille make sure you are below the speed limit not even 1 mph over and there is nothing wrong with your truck. This little town that I live just outside of loves to write Texans tickets for any violation they can find.
Horn chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 06:43 PM   #15
GarGuy
Pope & Young

If this was on the indian nation turnpike he was doing just fine.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 08:38 PM   #16
psicoo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardeman County(Quanah, TX), Tom Green County(Eden, TX), Grenada & Fayetteville, MS., Russell, KS.,

My observation here in Texas is that more women than men tend to not comply with left lane only for passing/slower traffic to the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
psicoo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 08:52 PM   #17
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicoo View Post
My observation here in Texas is that more women than men tend to not comply with left lane only for passing/slower traffic to the right.

I have noticed a reference in gender but I have noticed another very common factor but I canít point that out....
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 08:53 PM   #18
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsaregood View Post
I was doing it all wrong going the speed limit. Youíre supposed to drive like a bat out of hell. Especially if youíre driving a Petebilt pulling a loaded 53í van trailer. Tailgate as close as possible and go 85+ as long as the wheels will stay on the pavement. Never mind all the crosses along the way from motorists who died. Youíd think CDL holders would use at least some caution but apparently thatís for sissies too.

If you all you see in your rear view is bugs and chrome then your in the wrong dang lane!
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 09:03 PM   #19
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

I'm still wondering when you are going to tell us why you opened another account. What was wrong with Worksalot?
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 09:15 PM   #20
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma (there's no deer there)

Impeding traffic in the left lane is now illegal in Oklahoma.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 09:27 PM   #21
kmitchl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eldorado

My favorite thing. Two jack***** running side by side at 5 less than the limit like they own the road. Second favorite - gassers blocking the diesel pumps when others are available.
kmitchl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 09:39 PM   #22
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
I'm still wondering when you are going to tell us why you opened another account. What was wrong with Worksalot?

Hmmmmm. This is worksalot? How do you acquire this info? I may call you there are a few people recently who appear new but know to much history here.

Good work.

manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 10:06 PM   #23
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Searching.

I lived in Oklahoma for 5 years in college. They like to say, "Oklahoma is the heart of America." Well, if that is true, I always thought Oklahoma drivers were the cholesterol clogging up the arteries. They never drove faster than the speed limit, no matter what state I find them in.
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 07:21 AM   #24
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmitchl View Post
My favorite thing. Two jack***** running side by side at 5 less than the limit like they own the road. Second favorite - gassers blocking the diesel pumps when others are available.
Ooops. Sorry your highness.
Attached Images

Goldeneagle is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 07:26 AM   #25
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
I have noticed a reference in gender but I have noticed another very common factor but I canít point that out....
I've noticed the same trend.
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 07:36 AM   #26
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Yep.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 07:43 AM   #27
FVR JR
Eight Point

Hunt In: Secret

If you were passing and some impatient jackwagon ran up on you, screw em. If you weren't, you should move over. As far as the trend, these wouldn't be the same people who tend to speed up and slow down as if they're on a timer, would it?
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 08:08 AM   #28
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

I do keep in the right lane and the wanna be NASCAR drivers try to push you there as well. It’s like no one can go fast enough. And the closer you get to the city, the congestion grows, and their still driving 75.
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 08:22 AM   #29
Barrilleaux
Four Point

Hunt In: all over

Did you happen to see a Black Trans Am ?
Barrilleaux is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 08:26 AM   #30
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

What I have run into almost daily, is long haul trucks from other states, that are so used to running at 65 mph max or the company they work for has put a 64 or 65 mph governor on their trucks. Don't know which, but I sure wish Texas would make it illegal for them to be in the left lane for more than 1/4 mile, unless there is only one lane going that direction. If there is more than one lane, they should not be allowed in the left lane. What I see daily is the right lane will have 15 big rigs going 64 mph in a 75 mph zone. Then two or three big rigs in the left lane trying to pass all 15 big rigs in the right lane, and doing so at 64.5 mph or 65 mph. They won't ever hit 66 mph. Then before they can pass all 15 trucks, at least two of those 15 trucks will jump over in the left lane doing 60 mph and then slowly get up to 64.5 mph as they pass the other 8 or so trucks.

So they turn into a rolling road block for 15 to 18 miles. I am sure they come from communist state, that requires them to have governors set at no higher than 65 mph. Then you get variations from one truck to another. So some can do 65 mph, some can do 64 mph or 64.5 mph.

Then other times, when the traffic is moving 65 mph to 70 mph on 35 for as far as you can see. That will be the time, some big rig driver on speed comes flying up behind me doing 95 mph and just flat out acts like he don't care, he's going to drive right over me. I can't go left, right or speed up because off all of the other 800 cars on the road around me and ahead of me. I would sure like to be doing 80 mph myself, but because of the 800 or so other cars ahead of me, that ain't going to happen.

Then you have the people some of which seem timid and being in the left lane they seem to feel safer. Under no circumstance, will they speed up to 70 mph or 75 mph or move out of the right lane. Yes I don't like those people, but if I can get around them and go, I do. But when you only have two lanes and 18 wheelers in both lanes, going 64 mph for many miles, that just causes me to blow a fuse or two.

On our trips where we have driven up 35 or other interstates for long distances. We have noticed that it is very common for big rigs to be all over the road, taking up the lane they are trying to be in, then half a lane to the left and the shoulder to the right. On one trip, we can see probably 10 to 15 trucks doing this on a 600 mile drive. When I finally find a semi safe point to pass the truck, every time, you can see the driver is watching videos on his phone, or Ipad. Just completely focused on his phone. This problem seems to be very bad on IH 35, don't know why it's so bad on most any section of 35. I have seen it on IH 10, but not near as often. We took 35, up through Okiehoma an Kansas, it seemed like every 50 miles we came upon a truck driver watching videos on his phone and all over the road.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 09:02 AM   #31
Tykam
Four Point

Hunt In: Polk, McLennan, Falls, Limestone

Got behind a guy going through Norman with a big OU sticker and his snapchat handle on his back window. He gunned it under every bridge just to hear how awesome his truck sounded.
Tykam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 10:17 AM   #32
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
You ainít wrong.....
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 10:35 AM   #33
CEO
Pope & Young

Quote:
I've noticed when I point this out to people they later tell me they do it on purpose now. One buddy says he will only park at diesel pumps to go in stores. At least around here, the new stations are putting diesel at more pumps.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 11:21 AM   #34
Briar Friar
Pope & Young

Quote:
We call them Obama supporters.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 11:25 AM   #35
Horn chaser
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykam View Post
Got behind a guy going through Norman with a big OU sticker and his snapchat handle on his back window. He gunned it under every bridge just to hear how awesome his truck sounded.
So your saying Aggies and Sooners have something in common then. My cousin is an Aggie and he loves driving through parking garages just to set car alarms off.
Horn chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 11:42 AM   #36
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Flattening out Ranger Hill on I20 west didn't seem to stop the 18 wheelers from drag racing up the hill at 45 mph.
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 12:35 PM   #37
2Lazy2P
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas/SE Oklahoma

Quote:
Dang near every time!
2Lazy2P is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 01:03 PM   #38
Chaindiggity
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
What I have run into almost daily, is long haul trucks from other states, that are so used to running at 65 mph max or the company they work for has put a 64 or 65 mph governor on their trucks. Don't know which, but I sure wish Texas would make it illegal for them to be in the left lane for more than 1/4 mile, unless there is only one lane going that direction. If there is more than one lane, they should not be allowed in the left lane. What I see daily is the right lane will have 15 big rigs going 64 mph in a 75 mph zone. Then two or three big rigs in the left lane trying to pass all 15 big rigs in the right lane, and doing so at 64.5 mph or 65 mph. They won't ever hit 66 mph. Then before they can pass all 15 trucks, at least two of those 15 trucks will jump over in the left lane doing 60 mph and then slowly get up to 64.5 mph as they pass the other 8 or so trucks.

So they turn into a rolling road block for 15 to 18 miles. I am sure they come from communist state, that requires them to have governors set at no higher than 65 mph. Then you get variations from one truck to another. So some can do 65 mph, some can do 64 mph or 64.5 mph.
Happened to me heading east in I-10 between Columbus and Sealy. Me and 15 other cars/trucks were trying to get past the rolling roadblock. I was in the left lane at the head of our 'train' with all of us going 85+ so we could finally make the pass. State Trooper was on the right shoulder and pulled me over a few miles later. Asked me why I was going ~90mph and I explained the situation. He said he saw that too and understood why we were all going so fast. Said "well, try to slow down a little bit, okay? Have a nice day" and let me go. I'm not sure I'd do the same thing again, though, even as frustrating as it is.
Chaindiggity is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 01:11 PM   #39
Bucknaked
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box-R View Post
This!!!!
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 01:18 PM   #40
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrilleaux View Post
Did you happen to see a Black Trans Am ?
I watched that movie yesterday!
Big Lee is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 01:38 PM   #41
Tykam
Four Point

Hunt In: Polk, McLennan, Falls, Limestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn chaser View Post
So your saying Aggies and Sooners have something in common then. My cousin is an Aggie and he loves driving through parking garages just to set car alarms off.
Maybe more than they would like to admit
Tykam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 01:45 PM   #42
JMKro
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmauler View Post
I do keep in the right lane and the wanna be NASCAR drivers try to push you there as well. It’s like no one can go fast enough. And the closer you get to the city, the congestion grows, and their still driving 75.
Yep. That's why I don't get why people get so worked up about someone driving "slow" in the left lane. If they drive like they want to drive, it's a problem. If you drive like you want to drive (faster), they're supposed to get out of your way. Not to mention, more people are going to be in your way the faster you drive . Seems ironic...
JMKro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 02:01 PM   #43
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKro View Post
Yep. That's why I don't get why people get so worked up about someone driving "slow" in the left lane. If they drive like they want to drive, it's a problem. If you drive like you want to drive (faster), they're supposed to get out of your way. Not to mention, more people are going to be in your way the faster you drive . Seems ironic...
This thread comes up several times a year. Get out of the left lane youíre breaking the law! In other words, get out of my way, so I can break the law! 😂😂
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 02:08 PM   #44
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

Quote:
Speed limit 75... one big rig is going 74, the other decides to pass going 75. Takes 10 minutes and 8 miles to do so, by which point you end up in a traffic clog that takes 20 minutes to sort itself out. Drives me crazy.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 02:09 PM   #45
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post

Then other times, when the traffic is moving 65 mph to 70 mph on 35 for as far as you can see. That will be the time, some big rig driver on speed comes flying up behind me doing 95 mph and just flat out acts like he don't care, he's going to drive right over me. I can't go left, right or speed up because off all of the other 800 cars on the road around me and ahead of me. I would sure like to be doing 80 mph myself, but because of the 800 or so other cars ahead of me, that ain't going to happen.

Then you have the people some of which seem timid and being in the left lane they seem to feel safer. Under no circumstance, will they speed up to 70 mph or 75 mph or move out of the right lane. Yes I don't like those people, but if I can get around them and go, I do. But when you only have two lanes and 18 wheelers in both lanes, going 64 mph for many miles, that just causes me to blow a fuse or two.

On our trips where we have driven up 35 or other interstates for long distances. We have noticed that it is very common for big rigs to be all over the road, taking up the lane they are trying to be in, then half a lane to the left and the shoulder to the right. On one trip, we can see probably 10 to 15 trucks doing this on a 600 mile drive. When I finally find a semi safe point to pass the truck, every time, you can see the driver is watching videos on his phone, or Ipad. Just completely focused on his phone. This problem seems to be very bad on IH 35, don't know why it's so bad on most any section of 35. I have seen it on IH 10, but not near as often. We took 35, up through Okiehoma an Kansas, it seemed like every 50 miles we came upon a truck driver watching videos on his phone and all over the road.
Made my post before I read this one. Yes, it's ridiculous.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 12:43 PM   #46
yotethumper
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaindiggity View Post
Happened to me heading east in I-10 between Columbus and Sealy. Me and 15 other cars/trucks were trying to get past the rolling roadblock.
That stretch of 10 is horrible for this. The construction makes it worse. I dread driving this part every time we get on the road.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 12:48 PM   #47
JMKro
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
This thread comes up several times a year. Get out of the left lane youíre breaking the law! In other words, get out of my way, so I can break the law! 😂😂
JMKro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 12:52 PM   #48
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
Get out of the left lane youíre breaking the law! In other words, get out of my way, so I can break the law! 😂😂
Lmao, perfect!
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 01:25 PM   #49
CEO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotethumper View Post
That stretch of 10 is horrible for this. The construction makes it worse. I dread driving this part every time we get on the road.
We got stuck behind a group of motorcycle riders not far from there coming back from SA. They were cruising along about 70 in the fast lane with traffic stacking up as far as I could see in the rear view. Eventually an 18 wheeler in the slow lane meandered past them enough for cars to start cutting in front. You could tell by some hand and arm movements the guys on bikes weren't happy, but folks were peeved at that point.

To their credit they moved to the slow lane once everyone got past them.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top