remington custom shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

remington custom shop

What are your thoughts on the Remington custom shop rifles? Are they great shooters or are they just meh with a name? Looking to buy a lightish weight .308 and came across one.

Thanks

I have a remington 40X 7 mag that is a awesome shooter !

Comment

Been a few years since I have even heard the name brought up but I know a guy that had a tack driver from there.
      I personally would be giving APR a call though. That’s what I did back in 2014 and love my .280AI

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
        What are your thoughts on the Remington custom shop rifles? Thanks
        IMO, depends on the year built. I wouldn't buy anything from the 90's to present. Firearms built in the mid 60's to late 80's and you should be fine. Only way I'd buy a more recent Rem CS is if the price was a steal. Then you could flip it if the rifle didn't meet your accuracy expectations. If you have access to the SN, I can reply back with a date of manufacture ranging from March 1962 thru January 1986

Comment

I have two both older (mid 90’s) both are shooters a model 7 Custom KS 7mm-08 and a 700 Custom KS in 375H&H

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
            IMO, depends on the year built. I wouldn't buy anything from the 90's to present. Firearms built in the mid 60's to late 80's and you should be fine. Only way I'd buy a more recent Rem CS is if the price was a steal. Then you could flip it if the rifle didn't meet your accuracy expectations. If you have access to the SN, I can reply back with a date of manufacture ranging from March 1962 thru January 1986
            Crazy!! I have 4 rem 40x ks longmasters . 22 creedmoor, 243 with 12 twist ,243 8 twist , 300 win mag 10 twist . I would be glad to shoot against any custom gun out there. Comon Blake

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Comment

I ordered four .308 rifles from the Remington CS in 2004 for the agency I worked for. One was a tack driver, two were 1MOA or better, the other I quit wasting ammo on. I returned three, demanded and received our money back. The one remaining rifle has been re-barreled twice now and is still a shooter.

I quit on Remington a long time before that incident for any personal rifles. There are way too many great small shop manufactured actions, stocks and barrels and gunsmiths who want to put out a fantastic product as opposed to dealing with Remington.

I guess if the price was right, I'd consider a purchase but I'd need to spend some time behind the stock first.

Comment

Ok wel that answers that question. APR is pricey and I am poor. But I’d love to have one.

Comment

Ok wel that answers that question. APR is pricey and I am poor. But I’d love to have one.
                  What’s your budget? Lots of great rifles out there these days that I’d spend my money on long before a polished Remington.

Comment

Originally posted by Rem40x View Post
                    Crazy!! I have 4 rem 40x ks longmasters . 22 creedmoor, 243 with 12 twist ,243 8 twist , 300 win mag 10 twist .
                    J,

Does Remington even make a Longmaster ? I think you got it confused with a "Rangemaster" which is the name synonymous with 40x target and long range rifles. If there is such a thing as a 40X Longmaster, I'll eat a healthy serving of sous vide crow

The OP asked about a lightweight Remington CS rifle chambered in 308. You're comparing apples to satsumas with a 40X target action, 12 lbs rifle, 27" heavy target barrel versus a 700 repeater action, #2 contour 22" barrel, and rifle weighing 7 lbs. Granted both rifles cost near the same NIB from Remington; however, you can't compare accuracy of the two. I've owned several 40X rifles myself (6 Remington, 6BR, 6PPC) and would expect yours to shoot tiny bugholes.

After Cerebus bought Remington, they began to experience accuracy and QC problems on ALL their rifles. In 2010, Cerebus decided that all future custom shop rifles would be built by Dakota located in Sturgis, SD. Prices went through the roof ($3,000+) and quality seemed to have improved albeit at a cost.

If the OP can find an older made Custom Shop rifle, it should shoot 1/2" 3-shot groups are better. Again, I'm not sold on more recent production stuff based on Remington's (Cerebus) track record. Honestly, if all their rifles shot like the 40x, Remington would have never been sold or filed for bankruptcy ... would you agree ?

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                      What’s your budget? Lots of great rifles out there these days that I’d spend my money on long before a polished Remington.
                      He needs to decide what he is buying the rifle for. If it's accuracy, he can spend $500. I have yet to see a Ruger American Predator that didn't shoot 3/4 MOA. Same thing for Tikkas. My 6.5 CTR shoots in the .3's with factory ammo....and I have only shot 2 different loads through it.

If he wants something cool/custom that is a different story. I personally only care about 1 thing...accuracy. If a guy pays $2000 for a rifle that doesn't shoot better than my $1000 rifle....I think he wasted $1000. It's his money though and my opinion doesn't matter when it comes to his money.

Comment

If you have a Remington that you can part with for a bit then you can have a custom for around a grand and change. Use your current stock if it's decent.

Blueprint - $200
                        Barrel - $340-370
                        Fit, chamber and crown - $300-350
                        Bedding - $100-150
                        Trigger - $150-225

Comment

Or you can just go buy a Bergara and not waste time and effort.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                            He needs to decide what he is buying the rifle for. If it's accuracy, he can spend $500. I have yet to see a Ruger American Predator that didn't shoot 3/4 MOA. Same thing for Tikkas. My 6.5 CTR shoots in the .3's with factory ammo....and I have only shot 2 different loads through it.

If he wants something cool/custom that is a different story. I personally only care about 1 thing...accuracy. If a guy pays $2000 for a rifle that doesn't shoot better than my $1000 rifle....I think he wasted $1000. It's his money though and my opinion doesn't matter when it comes to his money.
                            Group size doesn’t matter if it can’t do it with the load you want. I fully agree that there are plenty of accurate factory rifles out there these days, and the two you mentioned have reputations for excellent accuracy. That said just because it shoots a .5” hundred yard group with X ammo doesn’t mean another rifle that shoots a .5” hundred yard group with X, Y, and Z ammo isn’t better. For most deer blind hunters anything beyond 1” accuracy is more than sufficient regardless of ammo used. Just not always the case.

Edit. You covered that in your opening statement. I just didn’t catch it lol

Comment

I ordered a 308 from them for my sons college graduation a couple years ago. Fit and finish were fine. I wasn’t impressed with bedding or accuracy. It was a North American hunter I think. Standard weight barrel etc. I improved bedding and after lots of trial and error found a load that made it acceptably accurate. I would only buy one if it was very inexpensive. I have since bought a Bergara highlander and have been very impressed with it. From all the reviews I’ve seen I would say any line from Bergara would be better than gambling on Remington made recently.

Comment

Working...
                              X