Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 07-17-2020, 02:08 PM   #1
Eastwood
Six Point

Default Youth hunts and school question

My oldest is going to start kindergarten this year, so I haven't been keeping in touch with how school has changed in the last 22 years. We used to have guns in the back windows of our trucks in the school parking lot. I was looking at some of the Tp&wd youth hunts and some of them are during part or all of the week. My son won't be able to apply for another 3 years, but I was just curious how you guys take your kids out of school for more than 1-2 days.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2020, 03:05 PM   #2
ddcainjr
Ten Point

Hunt In: TBD

It is worth taking the time off to create the memories. We would talk to the teachers before hand and get all of the assignments to make sure it got done.
ddcainjr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2020, 03:29 PM   #3
centex_aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Milam County, Williamson County, Burnet County

What do you mean how do you take your kids out of school for 1-2 days? They're your kids. You can take them wherever you want...
centex_aggie is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2020, 03:49 PM   #4
BJ DUPLECHAIN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wood Co

My son is 14 and will be a freshman. He has missed a lot of days to hunt /fish. Most of the time we ask for the work missed in advance.
BJ DUPLECHAIN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2020, 03:52 PM   #5
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public

ive written a note to the principal of my kids school since they were each 3. I write of creating memories with children and trying to instill a passion and discipline for the outdoors. I state how hunting and fishing are a way of life and many lessons beyond a desk and chalkboard can be taught. I've ALWAYS gotten the schools admin to count the missed days as excused..
hully1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2020, 03:53 PM   #6
Eastwood
Six Point

See that what's I mean. I don't know. What do you tell them, we're going deer hunting for the week? I think you can't miss a certain amount of days? Truancy laws? That's why I'm asking you experienced parents.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:21 PM   #7
Wick1369
Spike

Hunt In: Woods

Heck, I took mine out for a week last year for her first muledeer hunt in Montana. But they are used to her leaving at 12 on Friday's during deer season or showing up to school in her hunting attire from a quick early morning duck hunt. Talk with the principle and explain the situation at the beginning of school season, that way they are not surprised when the time comes.
Attached Images

Wick1369 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2020, 04:25 PM   #8
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

When mine was of age, I could pull him out at 10am and he wouldn't be considered absent for the day. Being a rural school, they always knew he was going on a hunting trip.
As far as the youth draw hunts, of course it's been a while, but when I put in for my son, hunts were always on a weekend or during Christmas break, when they were out for like 2 weeks. Has these changed?
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2020, 04:42 PM   #9
SHSU18
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Tx

I use to miss or leave at noon on most Fridays during deer season growing up.
SHSU18 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2020, 05:19 PM   #10
Eastwood
Six Point

Thanks for the replies guys. I used to leave on fridays for the lease as well. I just never took a week off from school to hunt. I saw one of the draw hunts was 5 days during the week and it got me to thinking. Iím sure a lot of things are different than in the 80ís and 90ís when it comes to school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2020, 06:11 PM   #11
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

The TPWD youth hunts are usually really good about putting them on a weekend, they're usually Fri-Sun or Sat-Mon, or on Thanksgiving or Christmas break. Lots of people only do the Sat/Sun portion. It's usually the adult hunts that are during the week. My kids always saved up their sick days and used them for hunting, no qualms pulling up to the school on a Thursday at lunch time with a fully loaded up truck heading out. They got the biggest kick out of jumping into the truck while all their friends knew they're heading out. I had a boat attached to the truck once and went inside, waiting for kiddo to come out the principal asked if he could go with us.
justletmein is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2020, 06:14 PM   #12
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
See that what's I mean. I don't know. What do you tell them, we're going deer hunting for the week? I think you can't miss a certain amount of days? Truancy laws? That's why I'm asking you experienced parents.
Truancy laws are a joke, but even so pretty much all the schools allow kids to make up time later anyway (mine have had to). All they really care about is funding, and if the kids make up the time they get their funding.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #13
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Education in the woods is worth 10x more than public test preparation.

My son is 12 and we have been missing 5 days of school every fall since he was 9 for hunting trips. Each year I write a letter to each of his teachers explaining the history and importance of the skills we have been refining. The week before I follow up with another status update email and request work for the week. We can usually get all his work completed before leaving.

Last edited by Spoiled_TN_boy; 07-17-2020 at 06:43 PM.
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2020, 06:51 PM   #14
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

I take them out and don't even think twice about it. The problem is that there are people out there that think going hunting or fishing with Dad isn't a good enough reason to miss a day here or there. I don't care what they think.
Hoggslayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2020, 10:24 PM   #15
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys. I used to leave on fridays for the lease as well. I just never took a week off from school to hunt. I saw one of the draw hunts was 5 days during the week and it got me to thinking. Iím sure a lot of things are different than in the 80ís and 90ís when it comes to school.

Which hunt was that? I've never seen a youth hunt during the week unless it was Thanksgiving or over Christmas break.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2020, 07:27 AM   #16
stinkbelly
Pope & Young

The youth hunts use to be on weekends. TPWD screwed it up to save money about 10 years ago.
stinkbelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2020, 08:27 AM   #17
Eastwood
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
Which hunt was that? I've never seen a youth hunt during the week unless it was Thanksgiving or over Christmas break.

Several of the gde hunts are Tuesday through Friday. Big bend, chaparral, etc.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:01 AM   #18
Phorizt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public land

Yeah i was looking with my daughter and there were a lot of weekday hunts that we saw this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phorizt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2020, 09:26 AM   #19
Mary
Administrator

When my boys were in school, they had occasional visits to Dr. Deer, Dr. Duck and sometimes... Dr. Goose.

Depending on the teacher (one who believes in the outdoors and one who might not)....the off to see the "Dr." could be a great reason to miss a day or 2.
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2020, 12:27 AM   #20
Mjjust
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Angelo/ Any Public lands.

The only ones during week that isnít already a holiday is big bend and inks. Never seen them do that before. I know on a few hunts they have put notices that the dates were updated from what was originally posted so I donít know if that is a screw up or on purpose. Maybe BBSP figured the kids would be out between thanksgiving and Christmas like some of the districts have been talking about. Not sure about Inks. They normally have youth on weekend.
Mjjust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2020, 12:51 AM   #21
justletmein
Pope & Young

Last year they accidentally scheduled a youth deer hunt the same weekend as an adult duck hunt. Camp area was loaded and they had trouble with the crowds. I asked aboot it and they said it was an accident/oversight, so I could see the same being true for weekday youth hunts.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:21 AM   #22
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

Hunting/fishing trips were specifically listed as unexcused absences in my student handbook back in high school. When the time comes, don’t tell the school you’re going hunting... Tell them you’re taking your kid out for an important family matter.
30-30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2020, 10:50 AM   #23
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Quote:
Several of the gde hunts are Tuesday through Friday. Big bend, chaparral, etc.

the Chap GDE may be but the youth hunt is during the Christmas break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjjust View Post
The only ones during week that isnít already a holiday is big bend and inks. Never seen them do that before. I know on a few hunts they have put notices that the dates were updated from what was originally posted so I donít know if that is a screw up or on purpose. Maybe BBSP figured the kids would be out between thanksgiving and Christmas like some of the districts have been talking about. Not sure about Inks. They normally have youth on weekend.
inks is still during the Christmas break I believe.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2020, 12:56 PM   #24
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Brown Freestone Hill Navarro Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjjust View Post
Fairfield is during the week not during the holidays too, at least is was 2 and 3 years ago
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2020, 02:31 AM   #25
RandyBonnette
Nubbin' Buck

Greetings from an old hunter,
My grandson is 9 and I want to take him out for the first time. Do I need to write a note to the principal? Or a letter to each teacher? My wife is going crazy when I'm telling her about it, she thinks he can't miss a single day at school. But I don't care, I must teach him at least the basics, while I'm still in a perfect condition (I don't think I can stop aging... ).
RandyBonnette is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2020, 05:59 AM   #26
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBonnette View Post
My grandson is 9 and I want to take him out for the first time. Do I need to write a note to the principal? Or a letter to each teacher? My wife is going crazy when I'm telling her about it, she thinks he can't miss a single day at school. But I don't care, I must teach him at least the basics, while I'm still in a perfect condition (I don't think I can stop aging... ).
Welcome to the fire. Congrats on getting to hunt with your grandson. I can't wait for that next phase in my hunting career.

My wife had a friend that thought the same way. She was trying to get her kid to have perfect attendance. Not me, I'm taking them hunting unless you can show me the box to check on a job application that says "Perfect attendance in the 5th grade"
Hoggslayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2020, 06:23 AM   #27
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

When my boy was in school, as long as I pulled him out after 10am, he wasnít counted absent. It was always on a Friday to get a head start to the lease and we only hunted the weekends.
Best thing to do is just call the school and see how they require you pulling them out.
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2020, 09:07 AM   #28
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

I'd tell them the family is going on a planned vacation and a "field trip" or outdoor experience where "the child gets to learn about the facts of nature and science via enrichment." There are many things that can not be taught in the class room. And can only be taught through "experiencing them". All instructors and teachers can prepare the child's work to be taken with them. After all, schools do outdoor "field trips" too, right? "Teaching through Experience".

Many of the things I have learned were not about just the hunt and killing, but about all the birds, critters, insects, reptiles, plants, geology, human influences, and many more colleges of substance, in the out doors. And how they all inter relate in an eco system. These things can be taught at any young age, no matter how young. It's how it's explained and experienced that matters. And the class room does not let the child truly "experience" much of it. Heck, the child might even get credit for science, geography, or history work when it's done, providing the teachers/instructors understand.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 09-07-2020 at 09:23 AM.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2020, 01:22 PM   #29
BradBryant1000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX

My son has missed a few Friday's and/or the occasional Monday from school to go hunting or fishing. Didn't hurt his schooling one bit. He looks forward to it (so do I).
BradBryant1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2020, 05:24 PM   #30
jnd1959
Ten Point

I've taken mine out to hunt other states and deer in Texas. They go to a Christian School and aren't even counted absent. Still have to make up work. Hunts after they graduate tend to be far and few between. If they have a teacher who knows what it's about, we'll tell them where are going. If not, we'll tell them they're going on a trip with me. We're required to notify the school in writing. On that form I just put family matter. I also have them talk to each teacher. I tell them it's their responsibility if they want to go. I only get involved with the teachers if it is a problem.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2020, 04:02 PM   #31
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk/San Jacinto

I always lived by the motto "Don't let school get in the way of a real education."
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2020, 04:30 PM   #32
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgHntr10 View Post
I always lived by the motto "Don't let school get in the way of a real education."
I like it. I've only taken my son out early on a Friday afternoon to hunt. Wouldn't hesitate to make it a full day if it were the right hunt.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2020, 01:42 PM   #33
coelk81
Nubbin' Buck

Growing up in colorado I always took the week for the rifle season. Most teachers were very supportive of that back in the day. With this online learning I was able to take my daughter to Colorado for her antlerless elk muzzleloader tag. She didn't miss any school and tagged out in 30 min the first evening we went out.
coelk81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #34
jnd1959
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by coelk81 View Post
Growing up in colorado I always took the week for the rifle season. Most teachers were very supportive of that back in the day. With this online learning I was able to take my daughter to Colorado for her antlerless elk muzzleloader tag. She didn't miss any school and tagged out in 30 min the first evening we went out.
Congrats and welcome!
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2020, 02:07 PM   #35
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

I've always make sure my son has near perfect attendance, so when we have the opportunity to go on a hunt he can miss school and it not be an issue.
salth2o is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2020, 02:19 PM   #36
SabineHunter
Ten Point

When I was a kid, the only time I had good grades, a & b, was before and during hunting season. Then, I would skip some days with my dad.
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 05:34 AM   #37
RandyBonnette
Nubbin' Buck

Sent from Texasbowhunter.com app for writemyessaysonline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBonnette View Post

We had a great time with Leo, I must say. Despite the fact that his teacher wasn't happy about it, I took him out of school the other day.

Last edited by RandyBonnette; 10-26-2020 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:35 AM   #38
RandyBonnette
Nubbin' Buck

It was his third time already. During the lockdown, we had much time to plan our single-day hunts.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:31 AM   #39
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Checking the boy out Friday at noon. He learns more with me than at school anyway.
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top