Car repaint cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car repaint cost?

I’m hopefully going to pick up my dream car on Sunday - a 79 Trans Am.

It’s in a state where it can go straight to the painter. Curious if anybody has priced out a repaint lately?

I’ve never had a car repainted, the upside is the car is stripped down to where you wouldn’t even have to tape anything off. $5,000 seems to be the number in my head. Does that seem too far off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably close.
    A friend of mine is getting a 4 door f250 painted now, and is being charged 8k.

Comment

I don’t think $5000 will get you much of a paint job! Good quality primer alone could be $3000

Comment

What color is it? I bought a new 79 Trans Am white with gold when I was younger

Comment

Whoa. I’m Earl Scheib, and I’ll paint any car, any color for $29.95. No ups, no extras

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
            I don’t think $5000 will get you much of a paint job! Good quality primer alone could be $3000

Good to know!

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
              Whoa. I’m Earl Scheib, and I’ll paint any car, any color for $29.95. No ups, no extras
              That must have been when ole Earl was 19! In the early eighties it was $99.95

They painted over dirt and all lol!

Comment

Just had quote to paint 76 trans am 50th anniversary black. Car is straight and needed minimal body work and price was 10k.

Comment

Guy told me many years ago he would do a professional job on my 72 blazer for 10k
                  I can only assume it will be at least that much these days

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
                    What color is it? I bought a new 79 Trans Am white with gold when I was younger

Well it’s primered right now but I’ll probably go with black and gold.

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
                      Just had quote to paint 76 trans am 50th anniversary black. Car is straight and needed minimal body work and price was 10k.

That’s probably my number then!

Comment

Depends on the quality you want

Comment

Congrats on the '79. I've had 2 of them...one with a Pontiac 400 and one with a Olds 403. I love the Trans Ams. My Father-in-law has a crap tons of classics and muscle cars and is always working on a new project. They just got a '55 out of paint and it was way more than that. Just quality materials can be really pricey. If you up your budget closer to $10k, you'll get a way better paint job. If your going black & gold, it takes a good painter and a lot of hours to get a good deep glossy black paint job.

Comment

Don’t spend 10k with the wrong painter either...

Comment

Quality paint and paint work is expensive. I’d budget no less than 10k. I had a tank and fenders on a Harley I built painted that cost me around 1,500 for straight black. Had an ‘82 pickup painted for 9,500. Both back around 2010.

Comment

Working...
                              X