Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-24-2021, 07:54 PM   #251
BOWERIK
Ten Point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BOWERIK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 08:37 PM   #252
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
Leaded Reds in DKR. Cheers buddy

Excellent tribute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 09:01 PM   #253
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 09:08 PM   #254
deerwatcher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

So very sorry, prayers for the family.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 10:10 PM   #255
Chad C
Pope & Young

Default TBH Lost A Legend Yesterday...Prayers Please

Over the last few days Iíve gone back through our text messages and some of the group text we were involved in. Most of our text were about ****** steaks, suppressors, and other artillery as well as all of the kids success in the field. Honestly... Felt good to look back over the last 6 years of banter, etc. He was truly one of a kind and Steph and those little girls, no doubt... were his world.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:20 PM   #256
BigDraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Colorado

Prayers up
BigDraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 12:21 AM   #257
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Rosary will be at 7pm Thursday.

The funeral will be at St Josephís church in Moulton at 10AM Friday the 30th.

Old 04-25-2021, 07:23 AM   #258
sandbill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montague County

Prayers for Matt's lovely family, and the many TBHers that were impacted by him.
sandbill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 12:21 PM   #259
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada

Sad news, prayers sent.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 04:04 PM   #260
CassCounty
Six Point

Hunt In: CassCounty

Terrible tragedy! My prayers are with all affected.
CassCounty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 09:15 PM   #261
P.J.
Eight Point

So sad. Prayers for the family & friends. Reminds me of friend who recently lost his 30 year old son who left wife & 2 kids under 4 behind. So so tough to take & comprehend.
P.J. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 06:03 PM   #262
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Prayers sent. From the words pics and testimony from his friends he seems like a friend we would all love to have in our lives. Good friends and good people seem to be few and far between these days. I can't imagine what his family and friends are going through at this time.
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 07:52 PM   #263
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

Sorry to hear, prayers to the family.
dgilbert is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 08:08 PM   #264
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

R I P. Patek. Prayers for the Patek family.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 01:49 PM   #265
18ncs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fayette Co., Greene Co.

Prayers sent for all.
18ncs is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 03:04 PM   #266
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

More prayers and support sent for Matt's family and friends, especially the girls. This all seems so surreal as I'm still trying to process he's gone RIP brother

I initially met Patek @ BNZA (2009/2010 ??) and you could immediately tell he was good people. He reached out to me in February 2011 needing help with a resume' highlighting his transferrable skills and attributes for a construction superintendent position. I modified his then current resume' with some fancy verbiage and made it sound like Patek was wise beyond his years with a Ph D in Construction. We ran into each other at BNZA several weeks later and Matt confirmed he got the job and he couldn't thank me enough. I told Patek it wasn't about me, since he went on the interviews and sold himself to get the job. Matt also shared with me how he respected my sobriety and every time I ran into him at BNZA, he made it a point to bring me a soda water. You could tell he was a solid dude who truly cared about other people. I just read our shared emails which were sent from Stephanie's email account, reviewed Patek's resume', and had to close my office door as the tears began to flow.
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 05:34 PM   #267
kfd82
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Backyard

Prayers for the family.
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 08:41 PM   #268
BOWERIK
Ten Point

This one is for Anthony. Matt and I discussing the dangers of rolling dice and taking Mr. Bergerís money.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:51 PM   #269
EZ-10RANCH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion, Kimble & Fayette counties

I took the time to read everyone’s post and tributes to Matt. It’s amazing that one man can leave such a positive impact on so many. What’s even more impressive is with that many friends and adventures he still took the time to be an incredible Dad and Husband. Very few people can check that many boxes. I pray that his wife and girls one day find some peace and comfort. I also pray for all of you that had the opportunity to share in the life of a true one of a kind. Y’all stay strong for his wife and girls and keep only the good times in your thoughts.
EZ-10RANCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 08:57 PM   #270
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Man, just saw this. I didnt know him, but I recognize the name as an old timer on here. So sad to read. Prayers for all you guys and his wife and girls. So sad!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 09:18 PM   #271
Jmh05
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green/Irion, Fisher Co.

Sometimes I neglect the fragility of life as I see it destroyed regularly as an ER doc, but there's always something to remind me it's real. God bless and RIP. I hope those girls are doing ok.
Jmh05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 09:55 PM   #272
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ-10RANCH View Post
I took the time to read everyoneís post and tributes to Matt. Itís amazing that one man can leave such a positive impact on so many. Whatís even more impressive is with that many friends and adventures he still took the time to be an incredible Dad and Husband. Very few people can check that many boxes. I pray that his wife and girls one day find some peace and comfort. I also pray for all of you that had the opportunity to share in the life of a true one of a kind. Yíall stay strong for his wife and girls and keep only the good times in your thoughts.

Iíve enjoyed a lot of posts about our brother, over the last 7 days, which have undoubtedly been the worst of my life. But this one has summed things up the best. Thank you, sir.

We roll south tomorrow with light minds, and heavy hearts.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:58 PM   #273
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Iíve been bombarded with questions about contributions to help Steph and the girls, and I appreciate the love shown. That is a conversation I will have to have with Steph, and it may be weeks from now or more.

For now, keep she and the girls in your prayers, and our brother in your hearts. It will be a long road, and they will need all the support we can give them.

Old 04-28-2021, 09:04 AM   #274
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Just seeing this and it makes my gut hurt.

Prayers for the family but especially for those girls!
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 10:56 AM   #275
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

Coming back to read the new posts.
You can see his personality in every picture posted ...

Smart, do you remember the details that led up to him sitting naked in the middle of the Berger Ranch kitchen? Why that popped into my mind is beyond me, but proves what was said earlier "he was the life of the party without trying" ... even after everyone else was in bed!

Continued prayers for all of you that were so close to him.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 12:12 PM   #276
BOWERIK
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Iíve enjoyed a lot of posts about our brother, over the last 7 days, which have undoubtedly been the worst of my life. But this one has summed things up the best. Thank you, sir.

We roll south tomorrow with light minds, and heavy hearts.

You all will be heavy on my heart and mind, got with Anthony last night. I am deeply sadden about not being able to make it, but I will celebrate Matt's life. Safe Travels.
Old 04-28-2021, 01:35 PM   #277
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWERIK View Post
You all will be heavy on my heart and mind, got with Anthony last night. I am deeply sadden about not being able to make it, but I will celebrate Matt's life. Safe Travels.
I'm in the same boat. I simply have too many fires to put out and it feels like somebody is fanning the flames.

I was hoping to head South with Chicken, but that's not going to happen.

Safe travels to all, Y'all pour one out for me.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:45 PM   #278
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

Just now seeing this and have read through the posts. I know many of you are hurting right now and I am praying for you, as well as Matt and his family.

I never met Matt as I have never been to a Bownanza but I have been here at the campfire for many years and have read a lot of posts over the years involving you guys and your escapades.

Take comfort knowing the positive impact he had on you, but also, the impact you had on him. We are only here for a little while, don't miss the chance to tell those close to you what they mean to you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 06:11 PM   #279
cantexduck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over central Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post

Smart, do you remember the details that led up to him sitting naked in the middle of the Berger Ranch kitchen? Why that popped into my mind is beyond me, but proves what was said earlier "he was the life of the party without trying" ... even after everyone else was in bed!

He got stung by an asp or something I think. No clue why he had to get naked though ....... Lonestar might if had something to do with it.
cantexduck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 06:57 PM   #280
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoBull View Post
Just now seeing this and have read through the posts. I know many of you are hurting right now and I am praying for you, as well as Matt and his family.

I never met Matt as I have never been to a Bownanza but I have been here at the campfire for many years and have read a lot of posts over the years involving you guys and your escapades.

Take comfort knowing the positive impact he had on you, but also, the impact you had on him. We are only here for a little while, don't miss the chance to tell those close to you what they mean to you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
That's a good point. I would bet Matt would be posting some good memories of his buddies if he was here mourning losing any one of you guys! Good friends make powerful bonds and memories.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 07:35 PM   #281
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
You dudes who are really struggling with this, know that you are not alone. Iíve been essentially worthless all week. My friend group that Matt endeared himself to so quickly, is a bunch of otherwise hardasses, and theyíre a **** show too. I call it a testament to the man our brother was.

The first time I met Matt was at an early Bownanza. We had bantered back and forth on here, and argued about some stuff (probably music, bows, or something goofy), because Matt liked to argue about as much as I do. I was at the nanza having stayed up all night, just choked down a daylight tequila shot at Legdogís insistence (as was custom when the pit was lit), and was nursing a D-Wayne Bloody Mary. I see a crew unload from a truck and come dragging a cooler in, looking collectively like death eatin a dry cracker. I recognized a couple guys but had no idea who was what. I noticed as they came across the parking lot that all were chugging gatorade and water...except one. That one had a baby blue in his hand, made eye contact with me, and immediately split off from the group toward me. He walked right up and said ďyouíre Moser, Iím Matt Patek, and we need to drink some beer!Ē And stuck out his paw. The handshake was not so much as over and another Lone Star Light appeared in his hand, which he opened and handed to me. It was all I could do to get the first drink down...40 minutes later we were 3 more beers in each, and I felt like I was talking to an old friend. It was surreal. We had a bunch more after that.

It wasnít until probably 6 years later until we wound up on a common group text because of Jason Smart, months later we were at my deer lease skinning Abrynís 1st doe, they moved to N. Texas, and it was over. We were at deer camp, we were downtown partying with the wives, we were at Rockport, and Crystal Beach with the families...All my friends were his friends, our dads were fishing buddies, my mom begged me to make them come to thanksgiving.

Almost nightly Rangers/Stros texts, what the kids are doing texts, we are so lucky to have awesome wives...texts, and endless youtube music texts. I still half expect one to roll in around 6:05 every night.

I can find no good in any of this, but itís warmed my heart to read stories from so many on here that are so similar. How often does a man have to make a new friend, how does a man meet so many people who are so positively impacted by having met him, how many parties can a guy be the life of....and how many people can a man invite fishing...only a life cut short could stop him.

That is just who Matt was. He never had to fake it.

Having to tell my son, who absolutely adored Matt, about this, was easily the hardest thing Iíve ever had to do. The sheer shock and pure sadness in his face as he broke down, only confirmed what we all know. All I could tell him was to appreciate the time we had, and pray for ďthe girlsĒ. Iím still at a loss for what to tell him further, but he sees it in my face all week, and he knows..

My heart breaks for ďmyĒ girls, Iím miserable for what Steph will have to endure, Iím furious for what we will all miss out on, and I am at an absolute loss for what to say to our brother Weeaks...who has lost a huge part of his world! But mostly...I just miss my brother.

I catch myself expecting a text, or thinking about the trips we had planned for the kids, and it breaks my heart every time I remember..

Iíll always miss you Matteo. I will try to love your family like you did. I will try to be the friend that you were. I will fail at both, but I will try. Iíll see you when the time comes...and I will look forward to it until then.

I love you brother, we will do our best.

***** man. That's powerful. Never met him or you but all I got is dam.

Sure makes you wonder why we loose the good ones so early

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 08:36 PM   #282
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
You dudes who are really struggling with this, know that you are not alone. Iíve been essentially worthless all week. My friend group that Matt endeared himself to so quickly, is a bunch of otherwise hardasses, and theyíre a **** show too. I call it a testament to the man our brother was.

The first time I met Matt was at an early Bownanza. We had bantered back and forth on here, and argued about some stuff (probably music, bows, or something goofy), because Matt liked to argue about as much as I do. I was at the nanza having stayed up all night, just choked down a daylight tequila shot at Legdogís insistence (as was custom when the pit was lit), and was nursing a D-Wayne Bloody Mary. I see a crew unload from a truck and come dragging a cooler in, looking collectively like death eatin a dry cracker. I recognized a couple guys but had no idea who was what. I noticed as they came across the parking lot that all were chugging gatorade and water...except one. That one had a baby blue in his hand, made eye contact with me, and immediately split off from the group toward me. He walked right up and said ďyouíre Moser, Iím Matt Patek, and we need to drink some beer!Ē And stuck out his paw. The handshake was not so much as over and another Lone Star Light appeared in his hand, which he opened and handed to me. It was all I could do to get the first drink down...40 minutes later we were 3 more beers in each, and I felt like I was talking to an old friend. It was surreal. We had a bunch more after that.

It wasnít until probably 6 years later until we wound up on a common group text because of Jason Smart, months later we were at my deer lease skinning Abrynís 1st doe, they moved to N. Texas, and it was over. We were at deer camp, we were downtown partying with the wives, we were at Rockport, and Crystal Beach with the families...All my friends were his friends, our dads were fishing buddies, my mom begged me to make them come to thanksgiving.

Almost nightly Rangers/Stros texts, what the kids are doing texts, we are so lucky to have awesome wives...texts, and endless youtube music texts. I still half expect one to roll in around 6:05 every night.

I can find no good in any of this, but itís warmed my heart to read stories from so many on here that are so similar. How often does a man have to make a new friend, how does a man meet so many people who are so positively impacted by having met him, how many parties can a guy be the life of....and how many people can a man invite fishing...only a life cut short could stop him.

That is just who Matt was. He never had to fake it.

Having to tell my son, who absolutely adored Matt, about this, was easily the hardest thing Iíve ever had to do. The sheer shock and pure sadness in his face as he broke down, only confirmed what we all know. All I could tell him was to appreciate the time we had, and pray for ďthe girlsĒ. Iím still at a loss for what to tell him further, but he sees it in my face all week, and he knows..

My heart breaks for ďmyĒ girls, Iím miserable for what Steph will have to endure, Iím furious for what we will all miss out on, and I am at an absolute loss for what to say to our brother Weeaks...who has lost a huge part of his world! But mostly...I just miss my brother.

I catch myself expecting a text, or thinking about the trips we had planned for the kids, and it breaks my heart every time I remember..

Iíll always miss you Matteo. I will try to love your family like you did. I will try to be the friend that you were. I will fail at both, but I will try. Iíll see you when the time comes...and I will look forward to it until then.

I love you brother, we will do our best.

Dale, your usually a man of few words but when you really open up like this itís powerful and I feel for you Bud.

I continue to ache for his girls and wife, they shouldnít have to deal with this
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 09:40 PM   #283
twdjr
Ten Point

Sorry to hear this tragic news. Prayers for the family and friends.
twdjr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 10:07 PM   #284
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Dale, your usually a man of few words but when you really open up like this it’s powerful and I feel for you Bud.

I continue to ache for his girls and wife, they shouldn’t have to deal with this
It's painful enough being a passing acquaintance with fond memories & looking on the outside in...I feel for my friends here who were close to Matt & kinda ashamed to acknowledge I feel sorta bad to say I feel somewhat fortunate not be in the same current position in knowing the same intimate closeness for the girls / family like they are. I cannot really imagine what everyone is going through as I've never lost a really close friend / family in such an unexpected tragedy.

TBH is an amazing place even in sorrow.

Prayers...

<><

Last edited by Artos; 04-28-2021 at 10:16 PM.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 10:11 PM   #285
CassCounty
Six Point

Hunt In: CassCounty

I continue to pray for all involved. I can tell He was one of the great ones by all the posts.
CassCounty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 10:18 PM   #286
DKW II
Six Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
At least once a week we would end up remotely having beers in our garages, and often would wind up sending each other old pictures and videos of past trips, mostly of the kids.

This one was one of our favorites, Matt “helping” Snoop catch his first keeper red about 3 years ago. 26 1/2”.

http://youtu.be/uHP5-ECg_jM

Man that video is awesome and almost hard to watch at the same time, he sure looked proud of his boy. I can’t imagine the pain you and his family are in. I’m sorry for your loss and prayers for the entire family!

Last edited by DKW II; 04-28-2021 at 10:23 PM.
DKW II is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 10:20 PM   #287
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post

He stepped on a centipede and did battle with a scorpion later in the evening ... he was in the kitchen naked looking for Advil... to go with his LoneStar red pain pills . .
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 10:21 PM   #288
raider19
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I found myself grinning with a blend of tears welling up in my eyes. Tragic circumstances but so great to have memories like this to look back on and remember him by. Thank you for sharing this, Dale.

Couldn't have said it better. I had the same reaction watching the video. Prayers up to his family and friends.
raider19 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 06:20 AM   #289
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Dam nit Dale...I try not to cry before 6:30 in the morning. Today, I failed. All I know to say to his close friends here is I’m sorry!!!
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 06:50 AM   #290
DEADEYE1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado county
Default Loss

Prayers for everyone involved in this tragic loss!!
DEADEYE1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 11:08 AM   #291
CoyoteBait
Spike

Hunt In: Wyoming

Prayers to Matt and the fam. Such a tragedy...
CoyoteBait is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 02:01 PM   #292
MacDaddy67
Pope & Young

Very sad news.....RIP Sir

Prayers to his family and friends....

Sadly we have lost too many friends and TBHers over the last few years
MacDaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 08:39 PM   #293
Oleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
Very sad news.....RIP Sir

Prayers to his family and friends....

Sadly we have lost too many friends and TBHers over the last few years
Sadly I agree. Prayers for the family.
Oleman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 09:22 PM   #294
COPPERHEAD
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins, Bowie, Lamar Counties

Just now seeing this. I am at a loss for words. The girls will be in my prayers! RIP Brother!!
COPPERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 09:56 PM   #295
BOWERIK
Ten Point

To my friends. Uncle Tony, love you and will see you soon. To Patek, Steph and the girls all my love; Iím sorry Iím not there.

Old 04-29-2021, 10:12 PM   #296
Chad C
Pope & Young

Iím deep in the whiskey tonight! Cheers brothers!

Iíve got some Steve Earle muffled in the background Patek, itís sticky and quiet outside. But, the whiskey is good my friend.

Old 04-29-2021, 10:44 PM   #297
Cameron
Pope & Young

Like a lot of us, I'm pouring drinks and enjoying music this evening.

Yesterday I spent some time with our friend Phil Pritchett recording a song in Matt's honor.

Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 10:45 PM   #298
BOWERIK
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
Iím deep in the whiskey tonight! Cheers brothers!

Iíve got some Steve Earle muffled in the background Patek, itís sticky and quiet outside. But, the whiskey is good my friend.

I have never met you, but I appreciate you as well. Trying to find a way to get together with Dale. Broken hearted and celebrating my best friend as only he would appreciate. ďItís okay Gramps, we goodĒ
Old 04-29-2021, 11:24 PM   #299
spur
Ten Point

Hunt In: Officially a professional full-time grandpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
Like a lot of us, I'm pouring drinks and enjoying music this evening.

Yesterday I spent some time with our friend Phil Pritchett recording a song in Matt's honor.

Beautiful Day for Matt Patek - Phil Pritchett - YouTube
You continue to be a hero of mine. Real Nice!
spur is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 11:28 PM   #300
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Lotsa class / talent in that post cam...matt's smiling.

te amo vatos...saludos
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top