No announcement yet.

What am I missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a new battery out there these days. Our 2015 K900 has one that is mounted below the spare in the trunk. It's about 24 inches by 18 inches. You have to buy it from the dealership. Delco etc did not have them 2 years ago. Cost about $600.00 to replace.

Was at VW last week for parts and witnessed a service person nailing a lady. Wanted to step in and I just walked away.................
    Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 04-09-2021, 06:24 AM.

Comment

I'll be more than happy to replace it for her for $300

Comment

A good AGM style battery will run 150-200 and install should take 10 mins. For a single battery car, $500 is outrageous and a call to the dealership would be in order.

Comment

The problem here is people are greedy and bad. I have been fortunate that I worked with honest Svc managers and service writers. Not all mechanics/technicians are bad either. Generally a good group of people. Before buying a vehicle inspect the service department. Create a relationship with 2 or 3 people and use them solely. Anytime a service writer out the gate is attempting to sell a fluid change filters etc. That is a red flag. Let the guy doing the work who is trained determine if there is any recommendations for fluid changes, belts, hoses, filters. Then create an action plan. Do it all, do some, do none. One of my best customers/turned friend put 1million miles on his truck before gifting to his grand son. He hauled used cars with it and it was always on the road. He trusted me to make sure he never walked. Only time he was on the side of the road was flat tires. His grand son takes possession and destroyed the truck within 6-8months.

Also, your vehicle does not need any magic sauce in the fuel tank, engine etc. Put what is recommended in and drive sensibly. If you are using good fuel, good oil, good filters there is zero need for additives.

If you're willing to spend $50k plus on a new ride, spend good money on service. All of these car manufacturers are selling cars with the notion they are maintenance free. That is false. Yes, cars have came a long way. People are getting 150-200k on belts, hoses plugs etc. But the petro based products need regular attention. Don't wait for the dummy light to say change your oil. Most gasoline engines need to be changed about every 5k depending on your driving habits. Check the oil level at least once a month. They ALL burn some. I have seen vehicles come in that the owners waited till the light says change oil. They waited 3 yrs and almost 20k miles before the light said lets change it now. Engine was toast. Rattled like crazy. We installed a new engine. At no cost under warranty and educated the customer on regular service.

Thank the tech working on your car. Doesn't have to be a tip but a face to face thank you. They're the ones doing the work. The svc manager counts beans. Service writer does just that write a ticket up. I guarantee you, you thank the tech. Your car will be top priority always. And you will never worry about what is truly needed. They will go above and beyond for you. I had customers who would bring their car straight to me. Drop it off. And I would write the ticket on it. The service writers hated it. Find the guy/lady service writer with a touch of grey hair they are typically the better ones. The younger ones are typically people who thought they could be a tech and found out they weren't. Then the commission dollars go to their head. I never understood why service writers made such good money.

When you drop the car off. The people behind the counter, are not at fault for your car not working properly. If you come in guns blazing I promise you, you are no longer priority. We understand that no one wakes up and says I hope my car doesn't start today and I am late to work and need to figure out how to get kids to baseball and get my car to the shop. When it breaks down. It is no fun. But, again it is not the shops fault. In some cases if it was something they did a poor repair on then yes. And they will fix their goof up for free. If they don't find a new shop.

If your neighbor can do it cheaper for a 12 pack on the weekend. More power to ya. I quit working for a $12pack of beer long ago. Never understood why anyone works for beer. I work make money and buy my own beer. Lol

Comment

I can not believe how much blinker fluid has gone up since the election.

Comment

I just got a new interstate battery for my truck which was around $160 or so. $500 quote was surely a mistake?

Comment

Originally posted by Reelthreat View Post
                My wife got an $800 oil change from the Lincoln dealer the other day... they prey on women.

I was about to boil over!
                Maybe time to have a talk with the wife, then the dealership

Comment

I've been around enough boats in my life to know that $500 is insane for a new battery installed. Shoot if people are paying that then I'm in on that deal and will open up a battery shop tomorrow!

Comment

Sounds like some BS ripoff plan

I just wondered if changing the battery out required some reprogramming or it just had an odd size dealer only battery or some other something I had not considered.

I might just call the service manager or pay him a visit and see what he says

I definitely will not be paying them to do something I can take care of myself for around 20% of their quote

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                      I just got a new interstate battery for my truck which was around $160 or so. $500 quote was surely a mistake?
                      X2

Did this too a couple of months ago, all that is needed.

Comment

Is it the hybrid Highlander?

Comment

Originally posted by Electrican View Post
                          I’d be paying them a visit personally if it was just an oil change!

Have the battery tested at any of your local auto parts. If bad get a new one from them for 1/3 of what stealership priced.
                          Oh that can add up at a dealership. Cabin filters, air filters, "shop supplies", the oil they probably charged $11.00 a quart for and tire rotation and balance etc.. etc..upsale, upsale upsale.

Comment

We have two 4Runners. Both of the batteries are from Walmart. I used to buy only DieHard until Sears started circling the bowl. The warranty on Walmart and DieHard is now the same.

Comment

My wife was gigged $65 in labor to change engine and cabin air filters. .2 and .5 hours of labor at flat rate. That especially irked me as they pull the filters to show you the condition and if you decline replacement, you pay nothing.

Comment

About 2 months ago I made my last visit to our local Toyota dealer for maintenance. Last service change they rotated my tires, without my approval, as I had it done 2 weeks before at Discount FREE. Then they told me my battery was going bad, needed spark plug replacement and my brakes were close to going bad soon as well.

So 1st, they had to re-rotate my tires and remove the $60 charge WITHOUT my authorization. Then I took my Tundra to a local mechanic I have used for years, replaced the plugs (it was time) saving me approximately $150 the dealership quoted me. A week later I took the Tundra back to my "preferred" mechanic, had him test the battery and he said I could drive more miles but it was getting to the end of it's life with the test cranking results. So, had them replace the battery, according to Tundra recommendations performance criteria, installed for $175 from Napa parts with the typical warranty. Oh, dealership quoted me $275 for the battery service??

Now my next maintenance work will be on the brakes, but with performance parts + labor I will save over $100 per axle with my mechanic vs the dealer AND I can do it one axle at a time with 4x4 drive.

I don't have a problem with anyone making a profit, but at least KISS me when you do it! I would recommend anyone to find a local shop that you can trust to take care of your vehicle, make a decent profit but end up with a good job! Believe me, I know, grew up with my Dad as a self employed mechanic that taught me there are those who will take you to the Bank if you don't challenge what your are being quoted....if it Stinks, there's a reason!

Comment

Working...
                                X