No announcement yet.

More Catalytic Converters stolen at Apartments overnight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As soon as someone decides to be a thief, their life no longer has any value to me. I've worked hard for what I have, and will not accept someone taking it from me. I wouldn't shoot someone over a muffler, but not because I'd feel any guilt over taking out the trash. The legal repercussions in our "but he was a good boy" litigious society just ain't worth it. I think most on here think the same and are just disgusted at having to deal with all the human excrement we have walking around.

Comment

How are they getting them off? Seems they'd make so much noise, they'd end up busted.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
        How are they getting them off? Seems they'd make so much noise, they'd end up busted.
        Sawzall

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
          Googled it and this is what I found. Precious metals inside. Meth heads probably stealing them. Worth about 250 dollars per converter.
          One of the guys on the lease has a tow company. A few years ago he was telling me about the tow business. I thought he said the converters were worth $1000, and the vehicle was worth $2,500-$3,500 for scrap metal.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy o View Post
            DPS trooper said they make meth with them.
            Wow lol.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

lifted trucks make it too easy for them to steal

Comment

Just came up with an idea! An alarm for your exhaust! The exhaust is grounded thru the motor and frame, but the end of the exhaust is just suspended from a rubber hanger. If you wire a siren to the end of the exhaust so that a relay will open once ground is lost, once they make one cut on the exhaust, the end from the cats back will lose ground and trigger a siren mounted under the truck. They will still get one cut on you but the chance that they hang around to finish the job is slim to none. Way easier to get a cut welded up than the entire exhaust replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                  Just came up with an idea! An alarm for your exhaust! The exhaust is grounded thru the motor and frame, but the end of the exhaust is just suspended from a rubber hanger. If you wire a siren to the end of the exhaust so that a relay will open once ground is lost, once they make one cut on the exhaust, the end from the cats back will lose ground and trigger a siren mounted under the truck. They will still get one cut on you but the chance that they hang around to finish the job is slim to none. Way easier to get a cut welded up than the entire exhaust replaced.

Great idea.

Comment

They should value their life as much as we value our property we've worked hard for

Comment

These guys get $200-$400 per CAT. Some of these thieves have made over $100K selling the CATs. The bad thing in Harris County they are given low bonds because it’s a property crime. Some of them had started carrying pistols and confronting the truck owners.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post

If the cut the exhaust end first, the alarm would sound until the fully cut the cat out. By then, I think it would be too late.

Comment

the only way to stop this is with yet another law. this time a better one than normal. show proof of ownership of the vehicle, before you can sell.

Comment

I thought we got the copper thefts under control by requiring that the seller present a photo id that is recorded. The folks buying them are just as much of the problem as the thiefs.

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
                              As soon as someone decides to be a thief, their life no longer has any value to me. I've worked hard for what I have, and will not accept someone taking it from me. I wouldn't shoot someone over a muffler, but not because I'd feel any guilt over taking out the trash. The legal repercussions in our "but he was a good boy" litigious society just ain't worth it. I think most on here think the same and are just disgusted at having to deal with all the human excrement we have walking around.
                              Pretty much. This isn’t a case of a single mom stealing food from the grocery store to feed her kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                                If the cut the exhaust end first, the alarm would sound until the fully cut the cat out. By then, I think it would be too late.

Any cut in the exhaust period will break ground if done correctly. The only place exhaust is grounded is header. If you connect the wire I’m referring to directly behind the exhaust tip, any cut anywhere will trigger alarm. It will also rigger alarm if you cut the wire. There is a way around it but takes time and preparation. All of which these crackheads ain’t doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X