6 Degrees of Coyote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 Degrees of Coyote

Headed out this afternoon to do a little coyote calling. Have t had much time this winter and the few times I have gone I wasn’t successful. Figured this bitter cold would make them pretty hungry. Unfortunately the winds were barreling at 25 mph with blowing snow so it was pretty tough conditions. 6 degrees and windchills at -15 to -25 was brutal. I actually used my duck layout blind for a bit of shelter from the wind. And I had layered well, never actually felt cold at all. About 5 the winds lightened up some and I was set up over a dry, brushy lake bottom (playa lake- hence my name). At about the 9 min mark I was fiddling with the call trying to change sounds, but it was markedly difficult because the LCD screen was dim in the cold and the buttons were hard to press with gloved hands. I had finally switched to a female coyote challenge call and look up to see a yote standing out in the open at 60 yards, she had snuck in when I had my head down. I got on the gun and let it work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F1273A1C-27D1-4FF9-9262-492ACF806D64.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	25242482

I had hoped for video from my new ATN scope, I thought it was set to record at recoil, but must not have been.

She had a nice pelt, Mother Nature must have known this arctic blast was coming this winter!

Cool story and great to see a dead yote!

Comment

Nice going! You going out tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
        Nice going! You going out tomorrow?
        No, I’ve got to work. But my best morning ever was in similar conditions after a big cold, I called up 6 dogs in about 15 mins!

Comment

Good job!I tried calling yesterday evening but nada.
          They are to smart for me I guess haven’t called one up
          in awhile.

Comment

Don’t you know the media says you should be hunkered down at home without hope and no fun...wats wrong with ya boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
              Don’t you know the media says you should be hunkered down at home without hope and no fun...wats wrong with ya boy.

Shoot man I was born too far south, I love this weather!

Comment

I know what you mean, the lonely solitude of the wilderness on a gray winter day is invigorating.

Comment

Working...
                X