Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-02-2020, 03:05 PM   #851
CEO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock63 View Post
A lease member brought a friend that never deer hunted to shoot a doe. Each member got to shoot 1 doe and 1 buck. He took his friend and set him up at a stand with a lever action 30-30 and 5 bullets and told him he could only shoot a doe (NO HORNS). They heard 5 shots from the area the friend was set up so they went to pick him up and see what happen. They pulled up to him just smiling ear to ear with 5 dead deer (4 doe and 1 yearling buck) laid out. Asked "Why in the hell did you shoot 5 deer?" Because i ran out of bullets or i could of got 1 or 2 more was his response.
Slow day at the office and I'm reading this thread again. Cannot stop laughing at this one. I think because I can see the visual in my head.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2020, 03:08 PM   #852
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Words spoken in a duck blind once and I quote.... “deer hunting brings out the worst in people”. Is this not true or what?
Anvilheadtexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2020, 08:01 PM   #853
fish4food
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
Words spoken in a duck blind once and I quote.... “deer hunting brings out the worst in people”. Is this not true or what?
Broads, Deer, and Dollars.
fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2020, 10:28 AM   #854
DirtyDave
Ten Point

General season is almost here......
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2020, 04:00 PM   #855
J.Shoot
Eight Point

Great reading here, keeps reminding me of our own incidents.... My father asked me to take my BIL hunting.... couldn't stand the guy.... anyway. We had an old Bronco for a ranch vehicle. Jump in the Bronco and take BIL to the blind, hear him shoot several times. Get's dark and I go pick him up. He had "in his words" Emptied his gun shooting at turkey... but didn't get one. The road back to camp is rough, going thru a washout the Bronco bounces a little and BAM.... his rifle discharges out the back of the Bronco.... I was ******, got back to camp he loaded his stuff and left. He never asked to come back out and hunt with me. Thank goodness... He was and still is a moron.
J.Shoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2020, 04:14 PM   #856
Texas452
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burleson Coleman Leon counties

Not a guest mistake
But a friend got on a deer lease with me in Burleson co
He was new to deer hunting I heard him shoot one morning
And he told me he missed I bow hunted only and it was rifle
Season I went to pick up another friend around noon and headed
To camp my friend who said he missed the deer already headed back
To camp I told my other friend we better go check to make sure
He missed I texted and he told me which way he ran we went to
The spot I walked 20 yds and there lay a beautiful 10 pt
We loaded the deer and took him to camp
My friend couldn’t believe it and accused me of shooting the deer
I finally convinced him that it was his buck and he was happy happy
Sometimes I believe he still thinks I shot tgat deer
Texas452 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2020, 04:25 PM   #857
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

One of my most favorite hated threads. Love reading about knuckleheads, hate that deer are the culprits in this case.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2020, 04:37 PM   #858
kkp005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madison County

When you’re having a bad day just come to this thread 😂
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2020, 06:10 PM   #859
Aggie13
Four Point

Hunt In: Mills County

I invited a number of guys out from work to thin out the hogs post deer season a few years ago, (three guys I work with and one of their sons). My only instructions were, make sure your gun is sited in and you're ready for cold weather (it was january). We all get out there fairly early, I personally walk everyone to their stands, tell them the direction they can shoot and said to not leave the stand until I came and got them (for everyones safety, didn't want a bunch of people walkin around in the woods with guns goin off).

After awhile, I hear a shot, and think that came from the area where I put my buddies son (he was 19 or so and had hunted by himself before). I was gonna give it awhile to make sure that whatever he shot, died, and I didn't wanna spook anyone elses feeders. a few minutes later, another shot, then another, then another with a few minutes between each.

Turns out the hogs only wanted to go to one feeder and they just kept coming back after every shot. He missed four times.......apparently the whole "make sure your gun is sighted in" part was missed by my buddy (we'll call him Dave) and gave his son his gun with a bad scope.

Spent two boxes of ammo trying to get it sighted in that afternoon but the best any of us could get was a decent group at 20 yards, I told him to take off the scope and shoot iron sights and I'd put him at one of the closer feeders but he was adamant. Well same thing happened for the evening hunt. With Dave's son missing a few more times (wasn't his son's fault) but ironically Dave getting the only kill at another feeder. With hog numbers in the 40's runnin around on 100 acres with all 4 feeders covered we only got a piglet but I'm confident all 40 made an appearance at one point or another that day, everyone was a little bit disappointed.

Fast Forward to August, was going to bring the same guys (minus Dave) with another that was new to hunting to do the same thing before deer season. New guy backed out at last second and the Dave caught wind we were going out and I caved and allowed him to tag along. He assured me that his gun was sighted in this time......It was August and most of the hogs around then/there were fully nocturnal so I told everyone to make sure their guns were sighted in and that they had good lights because we'd be hunting all night. I got everyone setup just before dark then made my way to an extra feeder I had up just for the occasion for me to hunt at.

As soon as I got near my feeder I saw hogs out there and dropped a sow in her tracks. A few minutes later I hear two shots come from Dave's direction. he texted that he had shot at a boar and missed..... the night went on and we had a few shots here and there dropping another 3 lone piglets but nothing else. While I was cleaning some hogs, I had my buddy go pickup Dave from his stand at which point he noticed that Dave's site was wiggling around on his gun......Everyone saw and at least got a shot at pigs which is my main goal when bringing people out there. But that was the last time I brought people out there......
Aggie13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2020, 10:02 PM   #860
fish4food
Ten Point

^^^^
I’ve got a shifted in rifle, good light, sharp knife, and can get groceries!!

Old 11-04-2020, 10:17 PM   #861
Aggie13
Four Point

Hunt In: Mills County

Not really a mistake, but years ago I remember watching a video one of my uncles made. I was pretty young but as I understand it He got invited on a hunt with my other uncle at a buddies ranch. The rules were my uncle who's buddy owned the ranch, got to shoot a buck and my uncle tagging along got to take a doe.

Well my uncle nabbed him a doe at last light, then went out and staged the doe along the road with some driftwood branches at the head to make it look like it was a HUGE buck when someone would drive up in the dark. He then proceeded to film my other uncle and his buddy as they drove up on this supposed buck.

The reactions were priceless.....Gonna have to steal that one if I ever get invited out on a big ranch for doe only.

Those are the kinda guests you want, ones that understand the rules, abide by them, but are still a blast to have around camp haha
Aggie13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2020, 09:44 PM   #862
TB80
Ten Point

Any new ones after opening weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TB80 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2020, 07:07 PM   #863
Take em
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas

I wish I could have been that guest, but had a doe pass and shoot my deer. Say a very nice buck come out and figured that it was better to tell the location to the owners in hope that they could locate him again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Take em is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2020, 10:03 PM   #864
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Theres a thread on pplfh where a father/son duo on a doe and pig guest hunt killed two donkeys.

Was also told a story this weekend, 2020 deer season. An older man was taken as a guest to shoot a deer. Doe or spike was allowed. He knowingly shot a 8pt instead which was the host's only allotted deer for the season. Then asked the host if he could clean it for him!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2020, 12:23 AM   #865
BigThicket Luke
Four Point

Ok I got one from opening day 2020. I have 3 little brothers 1 is an avid bowhunter, one doe not hunt and one is filthy casual. Last year on opening day he gets to the lease late and does not have time to shoot which he has done very little of. The next morning I give him my Steyr .260 Rem because it is such an easy rifle to shoot even for a noob. Not 10 min after I drop him off I hear a shot and he comes over the radio and says he killed a pig. Awesome one shot one kill pig down, I kill a 2.5yo spike the same morning and all is well. Fast forward to this year and my little bro shows up late to the hunt same as last year. I explain the 13" rule again give him the .260 and put him in the same blind (a pig Hotspot) I did not account for the fact that this stand had been logged this summer and now you could see 400 yards where before you could only see 70 to the feeder. I go out to my stand that night and just as I get off my 4wheeler boom. Little bro comes on the radio and says I shot a deer. I say is it down? He says yeah but its kicking.... oh it's getting up! Shoot again I say quickly. He comes back and says it's too late he already made it to the creek bottom outta sight. I say was it a doe? He says no it was a buck. Im a little confused because the only buck I had seen on cam there in months was a fat little spike. I said was it that little spike? He says no I don't think so.... Oh no Im thinking. I ask did it have one unbranched antler? Little Bro "Whats a branched antler?" I tell him to stay in the stand Im on my way. I get to the stand and ask where the deer was standing when he shot. He points to a spot almost 300 yards from the stand. He had horns I know that he says (Me Face In Palm) IDK what to think so we go to where the deer fell and there is blood everywhere. I am sure it was hit hard so I follow the blood my .357 in hand thinking for sure we are about to clean a 10" fork horn in the backyard. There laying stone dead in the creek bottom 30 yards away is a 14" 3.5yo 8 point. He says did I do ok? I finally exhale and say yeah kid your fine, 2 shots 2 kills some guys have all the luck. Needless to say I am making him practice shooting and deer ageing/point counting/spread judging alot this next off season.
Attached Images

BigThicket Luke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2020, 06:31 AM   #866
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne
Default Guest Mistake Stories...

Love this thread and saw this on Facebook yesterday lol

Last edited by 150class; 12-16-2020 at 06:34 AM.
150class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2020, 07:24 AM   #867
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sparkman,Arkansas

long Great read, of some great storys... glad to never have been "THAT GUY"
Chief Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2020, 10:29 AM   #868
Johnny_Dodson
Six Point

Well I took out 5 buddies this week with their young sons on a doe hunt. Most these guys are pretty inexperienced so we did are best to make sure we had them in descent positions with short shots. Typical rules no bucks, wait for broadside...
Well I take one buddy out with me and his tow boys and my boy. Kids are all around 7. Well most our blinds are small and we can’t fit into the blinds so we just set up on a wheatfield out in the middle where we left a plumb thicket. It’s pretty cold so I tell him as soon as a doe comes out shoot it as the kids weren’t gonna be still for to long.
We wait for an hour and see 1 doe that sees a kiddo move and skirts off. 20 min later 3 deer come out. I know one is a good doe, and at least one is just barely off the nipple. So he gets his gun up and I am watching the large doe. The shot goes off and the large doe jumps 10ft to the left. I yell “shoot again” he doesn’t and she runs off. I asked “why he didn’t and he said he saw the doe fall dead in his scope.” Gets me thinking about which deer he just shot. So I scan out there with the binoculars and see the fawn laying dead. Needless to say I congratulated him on a good shot and told him he will need to prepare for a good ribbing that night in camp(which he got). I shot a doe earlier that day and gave him the meat so he could at least have something to go home with. I don’t think the flaws back quarters had 3 pounds of meat. But his boys were proud of him and we had a great time.

Johnny_Dodson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2020, 11:16 PM   #869
kmack
Eight Point

Hunt In: ??

I'll add one of my stories. Except this one is about ME! Not a deer hunting story, but bird hunting.

It was probably '98 and it was the first time I'd been dove hunting. Invite came from a co-worker and some of his buddies on family land out in Floresville. I had done some trap and skeet, so I was familiar with the concepts for bird hunting, just had never been.

Anyway, things were going good and I had some kills. About an hour into the hunt and with me hunkered down in deep grass in the middle of a field, I finally got my first non-kill dove. It was lying there on the ground still alive. My buddy was about 80 yds away on the tree line, so I yelled out asking what I should do... "Just kill it!" was the response.

I sat there for about a minute pondering the issue in front of me...
Blow it's head off at point blank range with the 12ga? Probably not going to leave anything left of the dove.
Step on it? Probably wouldn't work.
(The dove kept looking at me trying to figure what kind of idiot I was for taking so long...)
Then I hear only a part of something.. "...it's head!"

Oh...OK! (This is the part that even after all these years, I have yet to live down)

My thinking was that its head was the key to killing it, but the actual process is what elluded me. I knelt down and proceeded to (try to) smash its head in with the butt of the shotgun! I must have looked like I was digging for oil with my gun!

wham-wham-wham-wham-wham (the dove is still looking at me...)
wham-wham-wham-wham-wham "What the *eff* are you doing!?!"

"I'm trying to kill it!"

I swear for the next few years I was only invited to dove hunts for shear entertainment value as the re-enactments of that afternoon were always well embellished!

I have gotten better over the years...
kmack is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2020, 11:59 PM   #870
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmack View Post
I'll add one of my stories. Except this one is about ME! Not a deer hunting story, but bird hunting.

It was probably '98 and it was the first time I'd been dove hunting. Invite came from a co-worker and some of his buddies on family land out in Floresville. I had done some trap and skeet, so I was familiar with the concepts for bird hunting, just had never been.

Anyway, things were going good and I had some kills. About an hour into the hunt and with me hunkered down in deep grass in the middle of a field, I finally got my first non-kill dove. It was lying there on the ground still alive. My buddy was about 80 yds away on the tree line, so I yelled out asking what I should do... "Just kill it!" was the response.

Blow it's head off at point blank range with the 12ga? Probably not going to leave anything left of the dove.
(The dove kept looking at me trying to figure what kind of idiot I was for taking so long...)

Oh...OK! (This is the part that even after all these years, I have yet to live down)

My thinking was that its head was the key to killing it, but the actual process is what elluded me. I knelt down and proceeded to (try to) smash its head in with the butt of the shotgun! I must have looked like I was digging for oil with my gun!

"I'm trying to kill it!"

I swear for the next few years I was only invited to dove hunts for shear entertainment value as the re-enactments of that afternoon were always well embellished!

That might be the best one yet
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2020, 12:27 AM   #871
rosco11
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Quote:

"I'm trying to kill it!"

Haha! I love it.. great story.. thx for telling

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
rosco11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2020, 07:49 AM   #872
kmack
Eight Point

It's fun for me to tell that one, I have to laugh at myself!
We've all been that FNG (new guy) at some point in our lives!
Old 12-17-2020, 07:57 AM   #873
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack and Henderson Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThicket Luke View Post
Ok I got one from opening day 2020. I have 3 little brothers 1 is an avid bowhunter, one doe not hunt and one is filthy casual. Last year on opening day he gets to the lease late and does not have time to shoot which he has done very little of. The next morning I give him my Steyr .260 Rem because it is such an easy rifle to shoot even for a noob. Not 10 min after I drop him off I hear a shot and he comes over the radio and says he killed a pig. Awesome one shot one kill pig down, I kill a 2.5yo spike the same morning and all is well. Fast forward to this year and my little bro shows up late to the hunt same as last year. I explain the 13" rule again give him the .260 and put him in the same blind (a pig Hotspot) I did not account for the fact that this stand had been logged this summer and now you could see 400 yards where before you could only see 70 to the feeder. I go out to my stand that night and just as I get off my 4wheeler boom. Little bro comes on the radio and says I shot a deer. I say is it down? He says yeah but its kicking.... oh it's getting up! Shoot again I say quickly. He comes back and says it's too late he already made it to the creek bottom outta sight. I say was it a doe? He says no it was a buck. Im a little confused because the only buck I had seen on cam there in months was a fat little spike. I said was it that little spike? He says no I don't think so.... Oh no Im thinking. I ask did it have one unbranched antler? Little Bro "Whats a branched antler?" I tell him to stay in the stand Im on my way. I get to the stand and ask where the deer was standing when he shot. He points to a spot almost 300 yards from the stand. He had horns I know that he says (Me Face In Palm) IDK what to think so we go to where the deer fell and there is blood everywhere. I am sure it was hit hard so I follow the blood my .357 in hand thinking for sure we are about to clean a 10" fork horn in the backyard. There laying stone dead in the creek bottom 30 yards away is a 14" 3.5yo 8 point. He says did I do ok? I finally exhale and say yeah kid your fine, 2 shots 2 kills some guys have all the luck. Needless to say I am making him practice shooting and deer ageing/point counting/spread judging alot this next off season.
Judging by pics looks like “Noob” made a great shot and job well done on the buck no matter the age. Congrats to him. I wouldn’t consider that a mistake but a good on you for getting him out in the woods. Nice 9pt
Antlers86 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2020, 08:01 AM   #874
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Quote:

"I'm trying to kill it!"

This makes me smile. I have a buddy that took a guy dove hunting this year. Guest is an extremely intelligent guy which is what makes it great.

Downs a dove thats still hopping around. He's told to kill it like you were. Stares at the bird with a quizzical look for a few moments then levels the shotgun and blows him away point blank

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2020, 08:11 AM   #875
CEO
Pope & Young

Quote:
It's fun for me to tell that one, I have to laugh at myself!
We've all been that FNG (new guy) at some point in our lives!
Great story. The best part is it can be reenacted around the campfire after a few drinks.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2020, 08:19 AM   #876
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie, Kimble
Default Guest Mistake Stories...

Quote:

"I'm trying to kill it!"

Possibly the funniest chit I’ve ever read!! You’re awesome for sharing...I just knew you were gonna blow it away

Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2020, 08:42 AM   #877
kmack
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO View Post
Great story. The best part is it can be reenacted around the campfire after a few drinks.
...usually starts before the drinks!

And then moves onto the story about the dove that was shot twice!

That one was the next year and I had a vest full of birds that I dropped off at the truck and put in the cooler. I then headed back to the tree line for more birds.

About 40 minutes later, we all convened at the trucks for some drinks. The "above" story started for some of those that weren't there the year before (of course). At that time (with me laughing also) I started to put a couple more birds into my cooler. Open up the cooler and a white-wing flies out, buzzes my head, more "what the *eff*'s" are yelled, and then a shotgun blast!

My friend still happened to be holding his gun and got the 2nd shot on the bird!

"That's how you kill a bird, not beat it's head into the ground!"

I swear to this day all the birds I put in that cooler were dead and stiff! Not sure how sitting on ice for over half an hour revived just that one!

Last edited by kmack; 12-17-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #878
Triple 7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches

Several years ago I was hunting a high fence ranch with very strict management rules. We needed to take some doe off the place and we were allowed to have guest come in to kill them. I had a friend that was constantly asking me for deer meat so I called and invited him to come shoot one himself. My oldest son was 13 at the time and is a better hunter than most grown men. He sat with my friend while I was with another guy a few hundred yards away. It was right a daylight I heard a shot and my son text that the friend shot at a doe but are unsure if he hit it. Before I can text back I hear three quick shots. I text again asking what is going on. No answer. I hear one more shot and then a few seconds and then three more shots. I got on the phone and called him. My son answered in a panic. He said that the "friend" kept saying that he missed the deer but kept shooting. Once he ran out of shells then he took my sons rifle and shot three more times with it. He finally had a deer down that he could see. I got the friend on the phone and told him not to fire another shot. I was heading that way. Once I got there I could tell the my son knew something was wrong. I pulled him aside and asked him to tell me the story. He said that the friend assumed that he missed the deer with each shot. But would then see another deer running and say there she is and fire off a few more shots.

So I told them all to stay at the truck and went to see what I could find. After walking to the feeder it looked like a war zone. There was blood everywhere. This guy had shot 5 deer, (3 doe, 1 nubbin and a 3 point buck). After talking with the ranch manager I agreed that the bucks would be mine for the year and the doe were needed to meet the MLD tags we needed to fill. The friend wanted to meat but I told him to get out and never let me see him again. That was my last year on that place. I just lost interest in hunting for awhile after that.
Triple 7 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2020, 09:19 AM   #879
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie, Kimble

What an idiot

Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2020, 09:26 AM   #880
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

One of the best ever threads on TBH! If you need a laugh or pick me up just start reading!
Killer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2020, 01:30 PM   #881
piercebronkite
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado
Talking This is a good one...

I was 18 at the time and have hunted a friends ranch near Freer for many years. Well one morning I got the gate keys to take out a friend who’s never been hunting for a morning hunt. This was my first time hunting without my older brother and our family friend (ranch owner). So we pack up my single cab 1985 S10 truck and head to the gate around 5:00AM. We are driving down the main caliche road and its very foggy and very dark. I know I’m approaching the main gate but I can’t quite remember where it’s at. We are driving around 15-20 mph and BAMM! My truck slams in to the middle of the main gate pole (mind you this is a giant steel pipe, that’s probably 8-10 feet above ground). My truck hits it so hard that bends the pipe back and now I got a smashed grill. I knew I was going to be in some sh8T but decided well lets hunt, we are here anyway.

Hang in there, the story gets better.

I direct my buddy to his blind and I head to mine while it’s still dark and foggy. Sunrises and I see a silhouette of a doe under the feeder. I can barely see her because the fog is super thick but I decide to shoot her with my .22-.250. I shoot and the doe runs off, it sounds like a miss as I didn’t hear the thud, just the long snap of missed shot. Later that morning I go to the feeder to see any blood or a doe, nothing. Oh well, guess I missed, I mean it sounded like a miss. Later that day my buddy didn’t see anything so we drive home. On the drive home my truck starts leaking transmission fluid. We stopped at AutoZone and filled it with more transmission fluid and “patched” the leak with a bandana. We make it home safely and have to explain the incident to my father, somehow I didn’t get my a8s whooped.

Later that night my brother and his friend (ranch owner) went for an afternoon hunt. He comes home that night and asks, "Did you shoot a doe?” I replied, “yes but I missed." He said, “No it was there, 35 yards from the feeder in the brush.” Turns out that I punched right through her hence “the sound of a miss.” That’s when I learned about the 4000 fps of a .22-.250.

A few nights later I get a visit from two of the owners of the ranch and ask me if I was drinking and driving and how the he[[ I hit that steel pole with so much force. I tell them that it was just foggy and I couldn’t see. They inform me that I’m no longer allowed to go on their ranch unless it’s with one of the owners. I felt so bad but also got off so easy.

I got so much cr8p from my brother and the ranch owners for the next few years.

Oh man…I still laugh at this story.

Last edited by piercebronkite; 12-17-2020 at 01:37 PM.
piercebronkite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #882
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr, Gaines

This one still gets me today. We were doing our best to mange our lease with just a rifle, no protein. We had 5000 acres low fence of some of the best deer country Crockett county had to offer. After 4 years we were starting to see results, our top end bucks were 140–150. One of our lease members brought a guest and sat him in the camp house blind to shoot doe. You guessed it, he shot 3 year old typical 12 point. This buck was the only true 6x6 I’d ever seen, his G5 were pushing 5”. This ended up being the paid hunters trophy for the year. The worst thing about it was he just cut the head off, said he’d killed dozens of bucks bigger than the 12 point, but he could “use the meat”. What a ******!!!
Tx.Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2020, 09:49 AM   #883
gatorgar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: everywhere and anywhere you invite me to :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
This one still gets me today. We were doing our best to mange our lease with just a rifle, no protein. We had 5000 acres low fence of some of the best deer country Crockett county had to offer. After 4 years we were starting to see results, our top end bucks were 140–150. One of our lease members brought a guest and sat him in the camp house blind to shoot doe. You guessed it, he shot 3 year old typical 12 point. This buck was the only true 6x6 I’d ever seen, his G5 were pushing 5”. This ended up being the paid hunters trophy for the year. The worst thing about it was he just cut the head off, said he’d killed dozens of bucks bigger than the 12 point, but he could “use the meat”. What a ******!!!
Should've nailed him for poaching. He was allowed a doe not buck. Taking an animal without consent. Many of these stories, I would've called the warden. Some were mistakes but others were blatant disregard

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
gatorgar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2020, 10:05 AM   #884
TxAg
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple 7 View Post
Several years ago I was hunting a high fence ranch with very strict management rules. We needed to take some doe off the place and we were allowed to have guest come in to kill them. I had a friend that was constantly asking me for deer meat so I called and invited him to come shoot one himself. My oldest son was 13 at the time and is a better hunter than most grown men. He sat with my friend while I was with another guy a few hundred yards away. It was right a daylight I heard a shot and my son text that the friend shot at a doe but are unsure if he hit it. Before I can text back I hear three quick shots. I text again asking what is going on. No answer. I hear one more shot and then a few seconds and then three more shots. I got on the phone and called him. My son answered in a panic. He said that the "friend" kept saying that he missed the deer but kept shooting. Once he ran out of shells then he took my sons rifle and shot three more times with it. He finally had a deer down that he could see. I got the friend on the phone and told him not to fire another shot. I was heading that way. Once I got there I could tell the my son knew something was wrong. I pulled him aside and asked him to tell me the story. He said that the friend assumed that he missed the deer with each shot. But would then see another deer running and say there she is and fire off a few more shots.

So I told them all to stay at the truck and went to see what I could find. After walking to the feeder it looked like a war zone. There was blood everywhere. This guy had shot 5 deer, (3 doe, 1 nubbin and a 3 point buck). After talking with the ranch manager I agreed that the bucks would be mine for the year and the doe were needed to meet the MLD tags we needed to fill. The friend wanted to meat but I told him to get out and never let me see him again. That was my last year on that place. I just lost interest in hunting for awhile after that.

That guy deserved a buttstock to the nose.
TxAg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2020, 10:26 AM   #885
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgar View Post
Should've nailed him for poaching. He was allowed a doe not buck. Taking an animal without consent. Many of these stories, I would've called the warden. Some were mistakes but others were blatant disregard

My buddies and I that were on the the lease were all in our early 20’s, and the rest of the guys were in their 40’s and 50’s, including the lease manager. At the time, out of respect, we felt it wasn’t our place to voice our discontent. Looking back on it, I wish I’d said something though.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:09 AM   #886
Texas452
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burleson Coleman Leon counties

Last weekend in mason co where my brother hunts a friend of the rancher wanted to shoot a doe for meat they were best friends and he said that’s fine
They had a really good buck in the area this is low fence well the friend ended up shooting the big buck instead of a doe the rancher told him to never set foot on his property again
I don’t think they are friends anymore
That’s really not a mistake that is intentional
Texas452 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2020, 11:51 AM   #887
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas452 View Post
Last weekend in mason co where my brother hunts a friend of the rancher wanted to shoot a doe for meat they were best friends and he said that’s fine
They had a really good buck in the area this is low fence well the friend ended up shooting the big buck instead of a doe the rancher told him to never set foot on his property again
I don’t think they are friends anymore
That’s really not a mistake that is intentional
Yes sir!
Old 12-18-2020, 11:53 AM   #888
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
See above post ^^^^
Old 12-18-2020, 12:03 PM   #889
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple 7 View Post

Oh snap. Good thing he wasn't using a MSR with a 15 round mag.

A high fenced ranch and your bucks for the year are a nubbin and a 3 point....I could see where that sting would last a while.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2020, 03:43 PM   #890
DTala
Ten Point

not a guest, but a new member. I leased a place in west Alabama and formed a club with 10 members. I try to keep rules easy. Made it plain to everyone multiple times we were trophy managing, limited doe, and NO young bucks period.
Opening day Idot kills a 1 1/2 year old eight point, 120 pounds. Broadside three hours before dark in a greenfield at 50 yards. I chew his arse about the young deer and he says he's killing every eight point he sees no matter the age. I get the checkbook and refund his total fees and trespass him off the property. Idiot for sure.
DTala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2020, 08:20 PM   #891
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBGP View Post
I had a guy I do some work with come out as a favor. Said he was a big hunter and he hunts every ware. Came out with new camo and a brand new 270. I sat in the blind with him the first evening talking to him about deer, working on aging them and explaining him what not to shoot.

The next morning, I dropped him off and went over the what to shoot what not to shoot again. Also told him he must shoot a doe before he shoots a buck, so shoot the first mature doe you see. " you bet". I went off with the hand and sat in the high rack and killed a few hog's and yotes. Wen went to pick him up, he was out of the blind and all excited. He said he shoot a big old buck. We fallowed the blood trail and picked up a 130'' 9PT 3YO. I told him nicely that that buck was young and he was done shooting bucks and he needed to shoot a doe and some pigs. He was to happy to be bothered. I was frustrated but some what relived because it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

That evening, I drop him off in a blind close to camp. Went off and started working around the camp. I told him, no bucks. Does and pigs only. I head a couple of shots. I went to pick him up from the blind and he was again out of the blind and was pointing in to the brush. This time he was telling me he shot a cull buck, it was old and needed to die, he was watching it fight with a younger buck and it really hunt the younger buck. He killed the young buck because it was hurt. He needed to put it down. We collected the deer and I was in rage. So this guy killed a 3.5 yo 9py 130'', a 4.5 you 8pt 134" and a 2.5 yo 11pt 132".

I sent him home that night, no shower, no dinner. Made that fkr, clean his deer and get out. I no longer do biz with him or his company. I was sick about it for a while. This is a place where I am really working on improving the heard and hear this guy shoots 3 bucks that have potential.
Reading through all of theses, this is one of the most blatant "mistakes" I've heard of.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:34 PM   #892
big_smith
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Rocksprings, New Mexico

We have an interesting situation where I hunt. I’m the chairman of the hunting committee. We have a corporation with residences. We have a small piece of undeveloped property that members can hunt. We also allow guests of members but guests can shoot does only. This is a Christian community, but we have a contract both the sponsoring member and guest must sign. Rules are clear and in bold print. Guests may shoot does only and member is responsible. The problem is there is no penalty if someone messes up. Several weeks ago I get a call from a member that their son in law wanted to hunt. I explained the contract and reiterated that it had to be read and initialed and signed by both the member and guest. Texted the member a day or so later and the guy had killed a big axis buck. This is small property. Axis are plentiful but axis bucks are a bit hard to come by. I’ve hunted for 5 years and have yet to kill a big buck. To say the least I’m a bit hot under the collar. In the grand scheme of things it is just a deer, but still super frustrating. Gonna have to revisit the rules and make some changes.
big_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2020, 09:41 PM   #893
Witchgrass
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera County

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_smith View Post
We have an interesting situation where I hunt. I’m the chairman of the hunting committee. We have a corporation with residences. We have a small piece of undeveloped property that members can hunt. We also allow guests of members but guests can shoot does only. This is a Christian community, but we have a contract both the sponsoring member and guest must sign. Rules are clear and in bold print. Guests may shoot does only and member is responsible. The problem is there is no penalty if someone messes up. Several weeks ago I get a call from a member that their son in law wanted to hunt. I explained the contract and reiterated that it had to be read and initialed and signed by both the member and guest. Texted the member a day or so later and the guy had killed a big axis buck. This is small property. Axis are plentiful but axis bucks are a bit hard to come by. I’ve hunted for 5 years
and have yet to kill a big buck. To say the least I’m a bit hot under the collar. In the grand scheme of things it is just a deer, but still super frustrating. Gonna have to revisit the rules and make some changes.
A lease that my buddy is on has a 155” minimum (Mule deer). If you shoot one under that, it’s a $2500 fine. Since there are about 8-10 guys in camp all the time, it’d be hard to hide that expensive mistake. My buddy has passed on several bucks cause he wasn’t sure about it being over 155”!
Witchgrass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2020, 10:00 PM   #894
dimeboxbill
Four Point

Hunt In: Jack county

I hunted with a friend of mine for 15 yr.s, we didn,t have a lot of big bucks back then, we do know, I was hunting on the top of the hill we also have bottom land, that night I had a good buck come out so I dropped him, the next morning I was hunting the bottom and had a even bigger buck come out into the open field, stopped sideways bout 150 yrd.s away, I just watched then he turned and starting walking towards me. I stayed in line of a big tree and moved over to a fallen tree, layer Bowman and watched as he came in to 35 yrd.s stopped and stood on his hind legs to mark a tree ( I guess) then turned and walked past me no more than 4 yrd.s, I just payed there till he cleared the area, we had no rules that said we couldn’t, shoot more than 1 big buck, we,re in a 5 deer county but I figured it wouldn,t be fair to shoot him so I told my friend about where he was. Turns out I should have shot him he didn,t come back out seems he got scared off the neighbors land. The next wk. the neighbor shot a doe and while walking out he shot that big buck. That,s o.k. I just wanted my buddy to shot it. So yes I hunt ethnically , I,ve passed on more than 3 but that to me is the right thing to do, like I say I was a guest even if it was15 yr.s
dimeboxbill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2020, 10:08 PM   #895
tlh2865
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgar View Post

Agreed
tlh2865 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2020, 12:17 AM   #896
Mjjust
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Angelo/ Any Public lands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_smith View Post
We have an interesting situation where I hunt. I’m the chairman of the hunting committee. We have a corporation with residences. We have a small piece of undeveloped property that members can hunt. We also allow guests of members but guests can shoot does only. This is a Christian community, but we have a contract both the sponsoring member and guest must sign. Rules are clear and in bold print. Guests may shoot does only and member is responsible. The problem is there is no penalty if someone messes up. Several weeks ago I get a call from a member that their son in law wanted to hunt. I explained the contract and reiterated that it had to be read and initialed and signed by both the member and guest. Texted the member a day or so later and the guy had killed a big axis buck. This is small property. Axis are plentiful but axis bucks are a bit hard to come by. I’ve hunted for 5 years and have yet to kill a big buck. To say the least I’m a bit hot under the collar. In the grand scheme of things it is just a deer, but still super frustrating. Gonna have to revisit the rules and make some changes.

There is a penalty if they mess up. Call the game warden. You have a signed contract that they broke so that is hunting a buck without landowner consent.
Mjjust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2020, 02:22 AM   #897
tlh2865
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjjust View Post
There is a penalty if they mess up. Call the game warden. You have a signed contract that they broke so that is hunting a buck without landowner consent.
This
tlh2865 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2020, 08:46 AM   #898
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjjust View Post
This^^^^^

I made it crystal clear this is what would happen if any of my guests or paid hunters shot an animal that wasnt allowed to be shot. There was also a $5000 penalty. All of this was in writing. Never had to call the GW or collect the $5k.
rtp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2020, 09:06 AM   #899
fish4food
Ten Point

If there is a contract, I’d almost think the GW would tell you it’s a civil issue. Since they did have permission to hunt.

Anyone have experience with above situations and outcomes if GW was called?
Old 12-20-2020, 09:11 AM   #900
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchgrass View Post
A lease that my buddy is on has a 155” minimum (Mule deer). If you shoot one under that, it’s a $2500 fine. Since there are about 8-10 guys in camp all the time, it’d be hard to hide that expensive mistake. My buddy has passed on several bucks cause he wasn’t sure about it being over 155”!
I wonder how they enforce the $2500 fine for killing a 150” mule deer? Seriously, I can see getting kicked off a lease for that. But legally they can’t force you get out your check book and write them a $2500 check.