Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil change, thoughts

Ok my 2014 Chevy service manual says change the oil every 7500 miles
    I was just watching a video saying that is a waste of money and a gas Moter should be about 10,000-12,000 between changing
    And a diesel about 15,000-20,000 on a full synthetic oil ( Schaffer oil) I use castrol GTX Magnatech ,
    What y’all thoughts on this ? 7500 to short or 10-12 to long
    Wife drives a CTS and drives till the computer says it’s time
    So have no idea on her mileage Before the change.

P.S when to change serpentine belt ? I am @ 50,000 and have a brake recall so it’s dealership bound soon
    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 09-06-2020, 11:25 PM.

Originally posted by pilar View Post
    I was just watching a video saying that is a waste of money and a gas Moter should be about 10,000-12,000 between changing
    And a diesel about 15,000-20,000 on a full synthetic oil ( Schaffer oil) I use castrol GTX Magnatech ,

P.S when to change serpentine belt ? I am @ 50,000 and have a brake recall so it’s dealership bound soon

I have a 2017 F250 6.7 and change the oil every 5k so I can have my tires rotated with the oil change and water fuel separator done at the same time every 15k. My last oil change, air filter, tire rotation and water fuel separator was around $460. To me it’s not worth my time to make the extra trip to rotate the tires in between oil changes.

My wife’s 2017 Audi S7 gets an oil change every 10k or once a year. I’ve blown 3 tires in 8k miles so I factor an extra $470 x2 for every oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

what happened to we were supposed to be changing our oil every 3,000 miles?....ive heard 3k....ive heard 5k....its a mystery 2 me

Comment

Originally posted by DEREKG22 View Post
        what happened to we were supposed to be changing our oil every 3,000 miles?....ive heard 3k....ive heard 5k....its a mystery 2 me
        Oil last a longer nowadays than when the old 3K was the rule.

Doing it every 5K makes for easy math. 5,10,15,20 and so on.

I change mine about every 7k, the minder will come in at 7500 or so. (6.7PSD)

My wife's truck is on the 5k regiment, always shows life left on the oil death countdown screen.

Comment

04 tundra has oil changes every 5000 miles for 380,000 miles. I'll stick with that routine on my 16 tundra.

Comment

I use a full synthetic and change at 10,000 miles. Schaefer is what I use in diesel engines. It is good stuff. Most of my driving is highway miles so I'm pretty sure that I could go longer between changes. Talking with the Schaefer rep several years ago, he was testing and not changing until the lab report said that the oil was beginning to break down. I remember him saying that he had tested at 14,000 miles and the oil was still in good shape. I'm not that interested in pulling samples and mailing them off for testing, so I just settled on 10K as a reasonable point.

Comment

Its 10k for us. 2018 5.3 tahoe and 2012 f250 6.2 with 202,000 miles.

Comment

This is a good read.

2009 - 2014 Ford F150 - When Should I Change My Oil (and other neat information)? - When you first get your $40,000 - $60,000 (or more) truck, you wonder about a lot of things. “When should I change my oil?” “What maintenance does it need?” “How do all my options work?” Did you know that all these questions, and more,...

I will say, though,that I don't buy into the lifetime transmission fluid and stuff like that. I do still believe that changing ]our fluids (oil, differential, tranny...) gives you an idea of how your vehicle is operating. My 14 F150 is just under 100k, so I just did the plugs, and next I'll do tranny, transfer case, rear diff, and belts just so I can say they're good at that mileage milestone.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                Last edited by firemanjj82; 09-07-2020, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Oil change, thoughts

One thing I live by on vehicles, is if there is anything telling me to change the oil and I cant recall when it should of been done, I change it. Cheap insurance. Every time I ride with my wife I look at the oil change sticker and then her mileage. I never go off of the meter built into the vehicle unless the sticker is gone for some reason.

But gas motor, 5k miles. Ford 6.7 diesel, 7.5k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post

Your 2014 only has 50k miles? Wow. I feel each vehicle is different. Some can go longer. On a gas rig 7k is about all I want to go

Comment

10k here, and change the filter at 5k.
                      Mobile 1 Synthetic EP states it's good for 15k, so I figure at 10k I'm fine.
                      This is on a Tundra.

Comment

I’ve been going 10-12k between oil changes for a while now. I run full synthetic. My Tundra has 164k miles and my commuter car has 289k miles. If you’re changing every 5k miles you’re just wasting money. It absolutely does no damage to go 10,12 or even 15k miles between changes if you run a quality synthetic oil.

Comment

2015 6.7L F-250. Every 5k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DEREKG22 View Post
                            Conventional oil 3000. Synthetic oil 5000+. Also the brands make the difference.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

Oil changes are cheap compared to a new engine. Every 5,000 miles on all my vehicles.

Comment

Working...
                              X