Talk To Me About Spotting Scopes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
    Spotting scopes are a lot like any other optic. You get what you put into them, meaning price. Are there some on the market that are "good for the price" but in my experience, you tend to see better quality the higher the price. Vortex Razor or Viper would be the lowest model I would go on the Vortex brand.
    There probably isn’t anyone on the planet that gets that more than I do. I’m a self admitted optics snob but just can’t justify dropping $2500+ on something that will get a fair amount of use but it’s not like I’ll be using it to decide if a ram is legal and I need to make a 2mi hike to get him.

I don’t want something that’s pure junk but it will basically be used to decide if the big framed deer I’m looking at across the wheat field at 800 yards is big enough to put a customer on the next day.

Comment

Steve, check your text messages...

Comment

As some have already stated, and you said yourself, you get what you pay for. I would definitely just wait and save up for a used high end model. I’ve used/borrowed sub 1000$ spotters and I can definitely say they really aren’t worth a dang. My personal experience with vortex, I was not impressed at all even with the higher end models. I’m a leupold fan and that’s what I use but I wouldn’t hesitate to pick up a Leica, Ziess, or swaro, for the right price in good condition.

For what you want, the 15-45x sounds like a good fit. As far as objective size, personal preference, but if it’s going to be mostly on a truck window, why not go 80?

Comment

Celestron

Check these out Celestron C-90, You can get them for as low as $200.00. Just received mine about 2 weeks ago. They are good for planet watching as well. Inexpensive and quality glass, they have been making scopes for quite some time now.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by eaglegolfj; 10-28-2020, 01:46 PM. Reason: Add pic

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
            I actually read a lot of really good reviews on this one but the price tag scared me.
            The pics shown here, if a decent representation, are worse than the views through the Vortex I mentioned above. But if that level of clarity is suitable for your needs, then you should be happy with most of the $500 scopes.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              The pics shown here, if a decent representation, are worse than the views through the Vortex I mentioned above. But if that level of clarity is suitable for your needs, then you should be happy with most of the $500 scopes.
              Thanks Shane, yeah if these pics are pretty solid and I can get anything even close to this at 600-800yds then I’ll be happy with it. It’s going to mostly be used to make a decision on if a deer is solid and a hunter might want to chase him. I definitely don’t need picture frame quality but I’ve looked through some at gun ranges that were absolutely horrible.

Comment

Working...
              X