Laguna Atascosa 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gdouty View Post
    Has anyone stayed/camped at Adolph Thomae Jr. County Park while hunting Laguna Atascosa? Curious if this setup is any better/worse than renting a place nearby, which seems to be the more popular approach...
    I've looked into if before, but since you can't access the refuge from the park, its about a 45 min drive just to the front entrance from the park, you can stay in Los fresnos or Port Isabel and be about 20 minutes away

Comment

Originally posted by philipolsen View Post
      I've looked into if before, but since you can't access the refuge from the park, its about a 45 min drive just to the front entrance from the park, you can stay in Los fresnos or Port Isabel and be about 20 minutes away
      What he said... unless you are hauling an RV down, I didnt think it was worth the extra effort. Camping fee is about the same $ as some of the cheap hotels in port isabel

Comment

Has anyone stayed/camped at Adolph Thomae Jr. County Park while hunting Laguna Atascosa? Curious if this setup is any better/worse than renting a place nearby, which seems to be the more popular approach...

Call them and get details. We killed a nilgai in the evening. By the time we finished the red tape and getting him quartered in the freezer we were locked out of the park. They close the gate about 8 I think but that was a couple years ago. I’d call and ask

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have and it was more like 30 min from park to gate for me every morning. I pulled my brothers rv but there were many people that had just thrown out a tent. I’d do it again if I had a camper. Port Isabel is pretty close to the entrance but have never stayed at those “budget” hotels so couldn’t say if it’s a safe area or not. Would be a good option if break ins isn’t a problem.

Comment

I did last year, with quite a few other hunters to..maybe 7-8 other hunters that had tags, its just a 45 min trip to the park entrance. Campsite and hook-up were fine..

Comment

Very helpful info, thanks for the feedback! I think we are going to try to find a place nearby.

What has the experience been like with the walk-in cooler at the check station? Curious if that is a reliable place to plan on leaving game until we leave.

Comment

I brought in an old fugly 5 point couple years ago. Cooler was spacious enough. Staff seemed to be stretched thin. I was able to bring in my cooler with the meat in it, quartered up.

Comment

Holy smokes! I got drawn on second draw! 11/20 hunt!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CentralTXHunter View Post
                    Holy smokes! I got drawn on second draw! 11/20 hunt!!!!

We gave up 2 permits (forgot to pay )for 12/04 to 12/08 hunt.

More winners to come on 2nd draw.

Congratulation
                    Last edited by RiverRat00; 09-12-2020, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Dang.........someone started a thread to remind everyone of the deadline to pay

Comment

Anyone know if they assign each Hunter/Group to a Unit at orientation, or if all units are open to everyone?

Comment

Anyone know if they assign each Hunter/Group to a Unit at orientation, or if all units are open to everyone?
                          All units are open to everyone.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Comment

My advice is get there 1 hr before orientation, its a first in-first out once the meeting is over and you'll have 200 other hunters racing to get to there spots to claim the area.

Comment

Won on 2nd draw boys, see you out there 11/06-11/10

Comment

2nd Draw and the A-Team returns!

I'm going to go ahead and call it now, I'm killing a bull this hunt!

Comment

Working...
                                X