DIY Shop Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Shop Build

Well this build has been a long time coming. Long story short, we bought the metal for the 24x30 shop frame two summers ago right before we went in Alaskan cruise with my in laws. While in Glacier Bay, my father in law had a massive heart attack but the good Lord was watching over him and he eventually made it to Anchorage via a small plane and was in surgery 14 hours later. He is doing much better now but that delayed the build for over a year. My father in law used to build metal buildings as a part time, weekend warrior gig so he is the brains of this build and I can’t take much credit, as I am more of a fab and weld guy, not an architect haha. Only thing we subbed out on this build was the slab, the rest was diy and didn’t borrow any money. Hope y’all enjoy the thread and I will add to it as we get it finished out.

First we rented a backhoe to haul base material off our hill on the place to build the pad which has almost 4’ of fall on one corner. We used the backhoe, box blade, and roller to build the pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The dimensions of the shop are 24x30 with 14’ side walls and 16’ peak. It has 15x24 loft, 24x30 covered lean to, and a 24x24 covered gable extension of the front. I plan on having it spray foam insulated and it will have insulated sliding doors on the front.

Comment

We used 8” I beams for the columns and my father in law had some 8” pipe laying around that we used for the gable extension and lean too columns.

Comment

All columns and beams were pitched and clipped on the ground and actually came out very close, we only had to trim the three lean two pipe columns when we hung the truss beams. Doing the math and marking the pitch on the 8” pipe columns was an experience for sure.

Comment

Good Start

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang that is one hugggggeeeeee shop>

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by SCORPION KING View Post
                        Dang that is one hugggggeeeeee shop>

Haha yes over 2000 sq ft of roof but really the shop space isn’t very big, only 24x30

Comment

Looks good

Comment

What is the size of Concrete footer did you use for the uprights that aren't on the slab?

Fixing to dig a few and wanted to know how deep you went and the dimensions.

Thanks
                            Last edited by Crazzy; 08-28-2020, 12:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Crazzy View Post
                              What is the size of Concrete footer did you use for the uprights that aren't on the slab?

Fixing to dig a few and wanted to know how deep you went and the dimensions.

Thanks

We tried to get at least 4 ft deep on all of them and the tops where we formed them out were probably around 2’x2’ or maybe a little smaller. I will go check later

Comment

Working...
                              X