No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I waited out the rain and went back for my second time today. Actually saw three hogs but they were too quick for me to get a shot off. I'm going to chalk that up as a win. Anyone else go out there today?

Comment

Originally posted by jbw899 View Post
      I waited out the rain and went back for my second time today. Actually saw three hogs but they were too quick for me to get a shot off. I'm going to chalk that up as a win. Anyone else go out there today?
      Yeh me and another guy went this morning from 7-1130.... didn't see any pigs lots of sign tho.... we left right before rain hit

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Heading out this morning [emoji1417][emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jbw899 View Post
          I went out from 7:20-9:40 yesterday. Saw 5, 2 big ones and 3 teens. No shots. Still fun to stalk. REALLY want to shoot a tusker with my trad bow.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Man I lost two hogs and found two broken arrow this Sunday. Trailed one until the rain washed away the drips of blood, arrow was broken about 250 yards from the shot. Spent the rest of the day looking to no avail, spotted one walking back to the car, lost him immediately after shooting in the grass, found my broken arrow w some blood but never found a speck on the ground. Using helix Broadheads. What do you guys use and where do you aim? I’m trying to find out what I’m doing wrong so I stop wounding animals and wasting meat. Both shots were slightly below middle of the chest. One was broadside and one quartering away. I guess I need to aim even lower but would still expect some trail!!

Comment

Originally posted by jbord39 View Post
              Man I lost two hogs and found two broken arrow this Sunday. Trailed one until the rain washed away the drips of blood, arrow was broken about 250 yards from the shot. Spent the rest of the day looking to no avail, spotted one walking back to the car, lost him immediately after shooting in the grass, found my broken arrow w some blood but never found a speck on the ground. Using helix Broadheads. What do you guys use and where do you aim? I’m trying to find out what I’m doing wrong so I stop wounding animals and wasting meat. Both shots were slightly below middle of the chest. One was broadside and one quartering away. I guess I need to aim even lower but would still expect some trail!!
              Go four blade or two blade with a bleeder; I use Stinger Magnus, love 'em. Two blade don't leave much of a blood trail, usually.

Aim lower and right against the leg, right through the shoulder is even better.

Quartering away, same thing aim lower; it is real easy to shoot through the upper back, above the spine, on a quartering away shot.

Aim low and forward, pig vitals are more forward than most people are used to shooting. Keep at it, you will get one.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                Go four blade or two blade with a bleeder; I use Stinger Magnus, love 'em. Two blade don't leave much of a blood trail, usually.

Aim lower and right against the leg, right through the shoulder is even better.

Quartering away, same thing aim lower; it is real easy to shoot through the upper back, above the spine, on a quartering away shot.

Aim low and forward, pig vitals are more forward than most people are used to shooting. Keep at it, you will get one.
                Thanks, I think I will switch from the helix for hogs. I tried them because I thought it would help to get full passthrough (as opposed to my g5 montecs) and was hopeful about the single bevel design (supposedly forces a twisting motion) but the blood trails were minimal and I didn't get full passthrough through the shoulder of the first one anyway. The second arrow broke at the fletchings on the way out and I suspect the fletchings/nock portion plugged up the exit wound.

How far do you normally have to track them on a decent hit?

I might not take shots at them if they are within 10 yards the waist high grass anymore just because it is so **** difficult for me to track them.

Comment

Thanks, I think I will switch from the helix for hogs. I tried them because I thought it would help to get full passthrough (as opposed to my g5 montecs) and was hopeful about the single bevel design (supposedly forces a twisting motion) but the blood trails were minimal and I didn't get full passthrough through the shoulder of the first one anyway. The second arrow broke at the fletchings on the way out and I suspect the fletchings/nock portion plugged up the exit wound.

How far do you normally have to track them on a decent hit?

I might not take shots at them if they are within 10 yards the waist high grass anymore just because it is so **** difficult for me to track them.
                  Two blade single bevel do all that, unfortunately they also leave poor blood trails compared to other styles. The single bevel is best for splitting bone, not necessarily for soft tissue penetration, although the twisting motion does cause a lot of damage. If you hit hem in the right spot, they don't go far.

I prefer a good two blade with small bleeders, the Magnus has held up well, I also like Zwickey, tough and easy to resharpen.

Everyone always talks about making a marginal shot count, and this is where the two blade, single bevel design shines, if the marginal shot is into thick bone. But if it is a marginal shot into soft tissue covered in fat it may well kill the animal, but you may never find it due to a poor blood trail.

I don't need to break bones coming and going, just on entry, and then I need the penetration to get all the vitals. My arrows with 20% FOC and a good solid (but not single bevel) broadhead will do that.

With a decent hit, double lung or heart, however far they can run in about 20 seconds; some pigs are faster than others.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                    Two blade single bevel do all that, unfortunately they also leave poor blood trails compared to other styles. The single bevel is best for splitting bone, not necessarily for soft tissue penetration, although the twisting motion does cause a lot of damage. If you hit hem in the right spot, they don't go far.

I prefer a good two blade with small bleeders, the Magnus has held up well, I also like Zwickey, tough and easy to resharpen.

Everyone always talks about making a marginal shot count, and this is where the two blade, single bevel design shines, if the marginal shot is into thick bone. But if it is a marginal shot into soft tissue covered in fat it may well kill the animal, but you may never find it due to a poor blood trail.

I don't need to break bones coming and going, just on entry, and then I need the penetration to get all the vitals. My arrows with 20% FOC and a good solid (but not single bevel) broadhead will do that.

With a decent hit, double lung or heart, however far they can run in about 20 seconds; some pigs are faster than others.
                    Thank you, that's good info. If you feel you got a good shot do you take off running, chasing the pig to try to keep line of sight or stay still and hope they don't run as far and you can track the blood?
                    Last edited by jbord39; 02-12-2018, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Thank you, that's good info. If you feel you got a good shot do you take off running, chasing the pig to try to keep line of sight or stay still and hope they don't run as far and you can track the blood?
                      I wait, but I will check the blood at the impact point right away; then follow the blood once I see what kind of blood I have. The blood will let me know if I need to go right now or wait a bit.

Comment

I’m here about to start looking for some on this great day lol any suggestions of where should I go

Comment

Between 6 and 7.....up top in the briars

Comment

Originally posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post

Thanks going out there tommorrow morning again

Comment

Originally posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post

How far was the shot?

Comment

I've killed 2 in the past 2 months but one of the new guys said he saw like 40 up in there last week...I been shooting mine way out on the lake!

Comment

Working...
                                X