Should we go UV Filter/Chlorine or just Chlorine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are about to start the dig on our pool. The UV light filter is an option for us..we don't want salt. Just trying to figure out if we should only do Chlorine or add the UV filtration system. They are offering at the same price but need to know soon which way to go.

I keep hearing about chlorine shortages and chlorine prices increasing so both systems use Chlorine, one just less if it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I recently heard about UV systems also and my pool just got tile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We have the UV system with chlorine and haven’t had any issues. It monitors when balance of off like after heavy rains and kicks on.

Disclaimer is we haven’t had ours very long and am a rookie at all of this for what it’s worth. I really trusted our sales guy and he steered me out of things we didn’t need or have to have but he was pretty adamant about us having one installed.

Comment

Originally posted by TKC View Post
        We have the UV system with chlorine and haven’t had any issues. It monitors when balance of off like after heavy rains and kicks on.

Disclaimer is we haven’t had ours very long and am a rookie at all of this for what it’s worth. I really trusted our sales guy and he steered me out of things we didn’t need or have to have but he was pretty adamant about us having one installed.
        I'm also a rookie. My pool guy said the bulb is around 1500 or so to replace and it should last around 5-7 years I believe. But if it works like its supposed to I wouldn't mind having this system.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
          I recently heard about UV systems also and my pool just got tile.

You have any updated pics of yours..I think I remember the pool dig pics.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
            They are about to start the dig on our pool. The UV light filter is an option for us..we don't want salt. Just trying to figure out if we should only do Chlorine or add the UV filtration system. They are offering at the same price but need to know soon which way to go.

I keep hearing about chlorine shortages and chlorine prices increasing so both systems use Chlorine, one just less if it.

Definitely go UV combo. It reduces the use of chlorine tremendously.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
              You have any updated pics of yours..I think I remember the pool dig pics.

Last edited by Black Ice; 05-02-2021, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                Definitely go UV combo. It reduces the use of chlorine tremendously.
                Thanks bro. We are doing the same.

Comment

If they will do it for the same price, I would definitely have the UV system installed. My cost on a Residential Bioshield UV is around $600 not installed. They make a noticeable difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                    If they will do it for the same price, I would definitely have the UV system installed. My cost on a Residential Bioshield UV is around $600 not installed. They make a noticeable difference.
                    That's not too bad. He told us as long as we make the change now it's not a problem. I told him yesterday we wanted to switch to the UV system.

Comment

I just learned there is a chlorine shortage, couldn't find any on amazon or walmart, luckily local pool store still has 50lb tubs but double what it was last year. That being said, UV might be a real plus this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                        I just learned there is a chlorine shortage, couldn't find any on amazon or walmart, luckily local pool store still has 50lb tubs but double what it was last year. That being said, UV might be a real plus this summer.
                        There is a shortage of almost everything related to pools. The chlorine shortage started last year. Pentair, Hayward, and Jandy are all on serious backorder for many things. We only use Pentair... and heaters, certain valves, certain lights, EasyTouch Controls, etc are taking forever for distributors to get. The manufacturers are WAY behind the demand right now. I ordered 18 complete Pentair equipment packages last week and have no idea when I will have them. I have heaters that I ordered 6 weeks ago that I still don't have. We have tried buying heaters in bulk from the west coast and up north and there are none. Plumbers are even having a hard time getting enough pvc pipe to keep up with demand. Things are like the twilight zone right now in the building industry.

Comment

Better stock up on chlorine, fixen to be a shortage and price is doubling.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                            There is a shortage of almost everything related to pools. The chlorine shortage started last year. Pentair, Hayward, and Jandy are all on serious backorder for many things. We only use Pentair... and heaters, certain valves, certain lights, EasyTouch Controls, etc are taking forever for distributors to get. The manufacturers are WAY behind the demand right now. I ordered 18 complete Pentair equipment packages last week and have no idea when I will have them. I have heaters that I ordered 6 weeks ago that I still don't have. We have tried buying heaters in bulk from the west coast and up north and there are none. Plumbers are even having a hard time getting enough pvc pipe to keep up with demand. Things are like the twilight zone right now in the building industry.
                            It is crazy, I've got 100 pounds of chlorine and about 20 gallons of liquid, not sure how long that will last me. Keeping my fingers crossed nothing breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                              I just learned there is a chlorine shortage
                              primary reason for the shortage. BioLab chlorine plant in LC caught fire after Hurricane Laura. I was told it is one of only 2-3 plants in the US that manufactures chlorine

Comment

Working...
                              X