missing tree bark mystery partially solved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

missing tree bark mystery partially solved

For starters, most of my life, the areas I have lived were populated with mesquite trees, or live oaks or cedar trees, or a combination of the three. The only oak trees I have ever been around have been live oaks, both on the coast and in the hill country.

So post oaks and blackjack oaks are new to me. Since we bought our place five years ago, we have lost quite a few both blackjack oaks and post oaks. When we first bought the place, there were numerous dead rotting blackjack oaks on the property. But then we started loosing post oaks one by one. Then with the drought that we have been going through, this past summer, we lost quite a few post oaks. Many of the dead post oaks, I discover they are dead, because they start loosing bark. They will get bare spots that keep getting bigger. When I finally notice bare spots on a tree, it is usually dead or very close to completely dead.

I have never seen oaks/live oaks loose bark right as, or after they die. But our post oaks loose bark right around the time they die and continue to loose most of their bark, after they die, or some of them do. I have never seen any type of tree do this. I just chalked it up as a characteristic of post oaks.

Two days ago, I was out hunting, I chose to sit in my box blind, multiple times in recent weeks, while sitting in the box blind, I have noticed squirrels in a couple of post oaks, that died this past summer. The trees still have their leaves on them, they are covered in leaves, they died rather abruptly. There was a large post oak within 15 yards of the two dead post oaks, that died this past summer. That large post oak, mysteriously died about three years ago, don't really know why. Then another post oak right next to the blind also died, it did some strange stuff before it completely died. I lost some of it's leaves, in the fall, but then during winter, grew new leaves, it had leaves during multiple freezes. Then eventually lost it's leaves. Then grew some of it's leaves back, then died. But the big post oak, that was not far away, just died, at some point. It seemed to be very healthy, till I noticed it did not have any leaves and the bark was coming off of it.

I cut down the large dead oak tree this past spring, I found it was hollowed out, and had a very deep squirrel nest in the tree. The bottom of the nest was probably 8' to 9' off the ground. The entrance to the nest was probably another 4' up. When I cut the tree down, I found the wood was soaked in squirrel urine and poop mix, that made a black liquid that seeped all the way to the base of the tree, in the core of the tree. I wonder if that had something to do with killing the tree. When I cut the tree down, the wood stunk badly, the chainsaw was slinging black liquid everywhere, it was pretty bad. I left all of the tree that was soaked in the black liquid, hoping maybe rain might clean it out of the wood over time. As the wood was, when I cut the tree, down, it was useless for cooking, nor would I have burnt that stuff in a fire place. I am sure it would create one serious stink, that would run you out of the house.

I would bet money the squirrels had a lot to do with the death of that large oak, but I don't know that for sure.

So this summer we lost many post oaks, then I have noticed squirrels in multiple of these dead oaks, near my box blind, but I never really paid any attention to what the squirrels were doing. Two days ago, I was bored and started watching one of these squirrels, turns out this squirrel was chewing the bark off of tree and eating the bark. I watched this squirrel eating bark for about three hours. I later got out of the blind and walked around the property. After I got out, I walked past the tree the squirrel was in, it was still in the tree, as I was looking at the tree, the squirrel just ran up the tree a ways and stayed there. While looking the tree over, I realized the squirrels have stripped almost all of the bark off of that tree, all the way to the top. It's still covered in leaves, it died around August.

The squirrels really seem to prefer the bark off of that one tree, but have also started stripping the other dead oak right next to it. They have it about 1/4 stripped.

Monday, I was out hunting, I also sat in my box blind. When I got there, I only had my deer rifle with me, but have been planning to take my 17 HMR to shoot squirrels with, since I see plenty of them, a lot more of them, than deer. So when I got to the blind, there was a squirrel clinging to a oak tree, about 20 yards from the feeder, between the blind and the feeder. I had already realized I forgot my 17 HMR, planned to drop off the deer rifle in the bind and go back to the house and get the 17 HMR, then saw the squirrel hanging onto the side of the oak. So I left, went back to the house, got the 17 HMR, went back to the bind. Got back to the blind, and the squirrel is still hanging on the side of the same oak tree, in the same spot. So I got into the blind and tried to get off a shot. I quickly realized the squirrel was hanging onto the side of the tree with it's back feet, then hanging down, and around to the other side of the tree and eating bark off of the tree. It did not care about me walking back and forth and climbing into the blind. It took about four attempts, but I was finally able to get off a shot at the squirrel, before it dropped back around the other side of the tree. I got the squirrel, first shot. The tree that squirrel was clinging to and eating the bark off of, is a very healthy looking tree. The other squirrels that were eating bark off of dead trees.

I have heard of porcupines eating bark off of trees and killing them. I am starting to wonder if these squirrels are contributing to the death of our oaks. That part I am not sure about, but I am 100% sure they are the reason that the nearly dead and dead post oaks loose their bark. I have never liked squirrels, I dislike them more, every time I find more of their damage.

Get A suppressed 22lr and kill every tree rat on your place. They are destructive and do more damage to a house than people realize. Bought a place one time and previous owner loved the tree rats. Kid killed over 60 in first month.

Comment

We've lost quite a few oaks too. I believe Hypoxylon Canker has killed ours. Trees look healthy and once you notice a thinning crown it's pretty much gonna die. The tree bark falls off in places and and you see brown dusty looking stuff on the tree and by then it's dead. From what I read all of the trees have this and live with it until the tree gets stressed and then the Canker invades and kills the tree. I got this from a paper out of A&M.

Comment

If you've been feeding squirrels in the backyard, there's a good possibility that you've noticed animals chewing the bark off trees. We seem to have…

Comment

<

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
            We've lost quite a few oaks too. I believe Hypoxylon Canker has killed ours. Trees look healthy and once you notice a thinning crown it's pretty much gonna die. The tree bark falls off in places and and you see brown dusty looking stuff on the tree and by then it's dead. From what I read all of the trees have this and live with it until the tree gets stressed and then the Canker invades and kills the tree. I got this from a paper out of A&M.
            Yes, many, if not all, have a brown dust, almost looks like a fine saw dust under where the bark used to be. All of the trees that died before this drought, had that brown dust under the bark. I spent some time looking at the two dead oaks near my box blind that the squirrels have been stripping. I don't really notice any of the brown dust on them. But that may be what the squirrels are after or they my be removing it, when they are stripping the bark of of the trees.

I have been afraid it was some kind of fungus that was killing the trees, I guess it may be, I need to look up Canker. I am sure that the trees we lost this summer were largely due, to drought. I previously thought the blackjack oaks were the weaker, more prone to dying, than the post oaks. I thought the post oaks were very similar to a live oak in hardieness, but then randomly we had post oaks die, that seemed quite healthy. Then the drought just started killing lots of them, we would have trees that look like they are doing well one week, then a couple weeks later, all of the leaves on the tree would turn brown, they don't even fall off. Something killed the trees fast, the drought seems to be the main factor, for the large number that died between July and September of this year.

I am still a bit baffled by these squirrels acting like they are addicted to the bark on these post oaks. They will spend hours eating the bark off of one area of a tree, pretty much non stop. Both live and dead trees.

Comment

Here's a link to the article i read.

Comment

Here are some of the pictures I took of those two trees, they have been stripping.

In these pictures, the ones I took from the blind, the most recent dead tree is in the center of the picture, there is a squirrel on the tree in ever picture. The tree to the right looks like it has been dead for years, but it just died late this past summer also. It has more bark on it. The one in the middle of the pictures, you can see the bark is stripped in rows vertically. I took pictures as far up in the tree as I could, as far up as I can see they have stripped the bark.
                Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 12-10-2022, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Pretty certain squirrels are not killing the trees and bark removal is post tree dying and bark will fall off anyway. Squirrels will eat some live bark but I have never seen them eat enough to make a mark visible from the ground
                  It is a disease here, quiet possibly what Txhunter3000 posted above. I have trees that bark is slipping on and don't see many squirrels in the yard.

I guess it is possible that the black liquid you encountered was urine and feces but I have cut trees and had the same kind of stuff run out and there were no holes big enough for a squirrel to have a nest in.

I have red oaks and post oaks dying faster than I can cut. The big freeze, disease and drought are what I am blaming

If it turns out squirrels are responsible I will kill every one I see

Comment

Interesting on the squirrels at your place but we hardly ever see one here. I wonder what they find in the bark. Are the squirrels eating at your feeders also?

Comment

Here's a link to the article i read.

https://tfsweb.tamu.edu/uploadedFile...lon_Canker.pdf
                      That is definitely what we are dealing with. Now how much of a factor in weakening the trees are the squirrels?

It sounds like drought, is allowing the canker to infect the trees, then kill a lot of them. But before the drought, I am still sure that one big oak that died, was largely a result of the squirrels, then the canker finished it off.

The other thing that has had me baffled is the two oaks, that as they started dying, they started started sprouting leaves in the winter, and kept the leaves on the whole winter. Two of our post oaks did this, over a two year period. Both were near my box blind, is how I noticed it. Those trees, like multiple other trees around our property, took three to four years to die, from the point, where it first became obvious they were not healthy. Those slowly had limbs die, in various areas, till the whole tree was dead. This summer the drought and likely canker killed a bunch of trees, very quickly. They would be covered with leaves, they would look fine, then starting around July, the leaves on many of them turned brown quickly. In August we had a lot of trees die, then a few more in September. July and August is when most were obviously dead. It was like someone poisoned them with a strong poison, they died so fast.
                      Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 11-26-2022, 09:41 AM.

Comment

All of ours have been on the fast track to death. What's really strange is we have a 7" oak that has been here since we bought the place and built 12 years ago. This oak tree is around 16' tall and the top 6' of the tree has been dead the whole time and has been riddled with woodpeckers. I've left it to see how long it will live. Now I have an 19" oak that got the canker that is 30' away. Still not understanding how the stressed tree lives and the healthy tree dies. I have started to let the little cedars grow just so we have something to replace the oaks.

Comment

Oof man this is a mystery novel...gonna pin it for a bedtime read.

Comment

Interesting on the squirrels at your place but we hardly ever see one here. I wonder what they find in the bark. Are the squirrels eating at your feeders also?
                            Meaning eating corn under the feeder? If so yes, some of them do. Not sure the percentage of them that eat corn. What is kind of odd, is the squirrels that do eat corn from the feeder, will usually show up for a couple hours in the morning, then leave and not come back for the rest of the day, according to the pictures I get from the cameras. Now three years ago, we had squirrels that lived under the feeder all day, but they have not been doing that this year. I think I killed all of the squirrels that lived at the feeder. I think the ones we have now, have moved in from the surrounding properties. I killed a lot of squirrels in three years. But then for the last year, I have slacked off and given them a break, they are repopulating the area quickly.

Comment

The last 11 years have been hard. I have lost 90% of my old growth bottomland trees. PO, BJ and even cedars are suffering from the droughts/freeze combined. Even some healthy PO that get drought watered around the house are giving it up. Once weakened, they become susceptible to diseases.

Comment

Working...
                              X