Chl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chl?

Family was sitting around after a fine Thanksgiving diner and someone mentions "sitting with back to the door in a restaurant".

We all said it's not happening in almost unison if at all possible.

Got to thinking later: if you're sitting in a restaurant and a shooter comes in and starts shooting, not much you can do except react. But, if it's one of those scenarios where they're walking around "systematically" and shooting people one after another, kinda like what happened in Lubies years ago, it would be a step ahead if CHL holders had kind of a signal to let others know they were ready for a move, if you didn't just jump up and start on your own. After all, your turns a coming might as well try to stop it. That's the whole reason I got my license. I couldn't think of a worse time than sitting there waiting your turn to get shot with no recourse.

What do you think? would it be advantageous, given time, to have a signal to let others know or just do it and hope for the best?

I have never been in any situation like that and just don't know exactly how I'd react. Like to think I'd go out fighting, but....never been there.

If I was armed my attention would be on the shooter, and looking for an opportunity to take him out. It wouldn’t be spent trying to give or get signals from other strangers in the restaurant

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      If I was armed my attention would be on the shooter, and looking for an opportunity to take him out. It wouldn’t be spent trying to give or get signals from other strangers in the restaurant
      This^^ I’m focusing on the threat.

Comment

Definitely gonna do a quick Google search for an active shoot thread.

Comment

I try to know where the exits are. My focus would be getting my wife and kids headed for the opposite exits from the shooter. Worry about the shooter once my family is safe

Comment

I’d signal to others with airborne lead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The signal if necessary would be the firing of the handgun.

Comment

My fear would taking rounds from some YouTube operator thinking I was there to shoot the place up like the nut walking in the door.

My people first, cover then bad guy

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=Quackerbox;16524435]My fear would taking rounds from some YouTube operator thinking I was there to shoot the place up like the nut walking in the door.

My people first, cover then bad guy

^^This

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                    I try to know where the exits are. My focus would be getting my wife and kids headed for the opposite exits from the shooter. Worry about the shooter once my family is safe

This

Not even thinking about playing the hero until my family is safe.

Comment

Colin Noir did some active shooter videos, very similar to the scenario you are describing,, minus the super secret password for everyone to start shooting.

They on the tubes of you. Very interesting feedback from people who teach that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        Agreed

A "team" would have to spend hours working and training together to pull off what you are eluding to

I am not waiting on Joe Public to do anything

Plus the faster the threat is eliminated the more likely you are to NOT get shot by another patron that is packing

Comment

Lawd have mercy. The internet rarely disappoints.

Maybe in CHL classes we should also cover, "Over and out sir Charlie niner 12-63!"

Comment

In one of the handgun classes I took we practiced a drill where there was an active shooter and as we would “break” through the crowd we would holler we were the good guy and hollering for others to give our description to 911. Our focus was on the shooter and taking cover or advancing as the scenario dictated.
                            Would it work? Don’t know but it might keep another good guy from taking you out…

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                              What do you think? would it be advantageous, given time, to have a signal to let others know or just do it and hope for the best?
                              I have been involved in a few shooting incidents with me doing the shooting, me being the target at very close range, my partner killing a guy about 10 feet from me, etc.

I can guarantee that if shooting starts, your vision and hearing will likely shut down or at least to the point where you aren’t even going to contemplate signaling other unknown people. They likewise, will very likely be in the same mental state as you. Almost to a person their concentration will be locked on the shooter or on an exit and how to get to it.

When the adrenaline dump hits and the fight or flight response starts, your concentration level is going to change drastically.

How you should respond is up for all kinds of what ifs such as who is with you, are you near an exit, how close when shooting starts, how many other potential “targets” other than yourself, type of weapon, how fast is the shooting, can you even see the shooter, did he pause for a couple of seconds to reload, etc. Then start mixing those in various combinations to create dozens of what if scenarios.

You said, “if given time”. I doubt that you will have that much time and the mental ability at that moment to be thinking things out.

So to the question signaling, I don’t think that is an option. It just isn’t going to happen. We could probably go for several pages of opinions on how to respond to any of the variables such as I listed. Signaling isn’t going to be one of them.

I believe that you can somewhat mentally prepare yourself for such a situation but when the shooting starts, the ability to start signaling other unknown people simply isn’t going to exist. Taking out the threat or escaping will be it.

IMO………

Comment

Working...
                              X