Interesting spike study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting spike study

I Want to start out by saying that I’ve always been on the “let ‘em grow” team. I just stumbled across this link on the East Tx hunters fb page. After a little bit of reading on the harvest of spikes, it really opened my mindset on the issue. A lot of research shows that 1.5 and older spikes are typically inferior in antler size and body weight in their older years compared to forked yearlings. Not looking to start a debate because I still don’t know that I’d start shooting them, but I am interested in what’s y’all’s thoughts are after actually reading through some of this research. Happy thanksgiving!
    First one is an easier read.

Second is much more detailed.

Link to other TPWD studies
    Information about White-tailed Deer in Texas. Research and Game Management, Hunting information, publications and general resources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I let yearling spikes walk. 2 1/2+ get shot

Comment

Well you can look up Comanche Ranch study or listen to anything written or on podcast of Miss St Deer Lab guys

Essentially, there are many factors at play for antler growth.

Can that spike with great nutrition become a 140in buck? Yes, that has been proven. So the question remains, is a 140in buck a trophy for you? The only good thing about killing a yearling spike is one less mouth to feed, however you also took a buck out of the pool of deer you hunt. For some people, they might only have 4 to 6 bucks that roam there area they hunt. 4 to 6 bucks with varying age classes isn't very many, especially when you want them to reach 4.5 at least or older so that leaves you with generally 1 or 2 mature bucks to hunt.

You kill that spike buck this year and you might pay for it in later years with a down year of an older age class.

It all depends on your deer density and your goals but I let spikes walk because I don't have a high deer density and I have plenty of food

Comment

I was fortunate enough to be invited to hunt on a ranch earlier this year that shoots all yearlings bucks(1.5 year olds)with less than 6 points.. 5 points and less die... And any buck 3.5 with 8 points or less dies.. It was a shock to me.
        This is a 10,000 acre high fence ranch with 100% pure native genetics. I couldn't question the results of their program.. It was full of giant mature deer and VERY few 8 points.. I saw many bucks from 180"-210"...

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
          I was fortunate enough to be invited to hunt on a ranch earlier this year that shoots all yearlings bucks(1.5 year olds)with less than 6 points.. 5 points and less die... And any buck 3.5 with 8 points or less dies.. It was a shock to me.
          This is a 10,000 acre high fence ranch with 100% pure native genetics. I couldn't question the results of their program.. It was full of giant mature deer and VERY few 8 points.. I saw many bucks from 180"-210"...
          Key point- high fence

Comanche Ranch Study is a good read, quick Google search

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            I let yearling spikes walk. 2 1/2+ get shot
            This ^^^

Some 1 1/2 year old spikes were born late (birth given by a fawn doe who was not bred until late in the season) or born in a drought year.

If you want to remove a mouth, take a doe, but leave the yearling (18-month old) spike.

Comment

If you have 4 yearlings and 3 have better than spikes and 1 has spiks the spike get to be dinner

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                Well you can look up Comanche Ranch study or listen to anything written or on podcast of Miss St Deer Lab guys

Essentially, there are many factors at play for antler growth.

Can that spike with great nutrition become a 140in buck? Yes, that has been proven. So the question remains, is a 140in buck a trophy for you? The only good thing about killing a yearling spike is one less mouth to feed, however you also took a buck out of the pool of deer you hunt. For some people, they might only have 4 to 6 bucks that roam there area they hunt. 4 to 6 bucks with varying age classes isn't very many, especially when you want them to reach 4.5 at least or older so that leaves you with generally 1 or 2 mature bucks to hunt.

You kill that spike buck this year and you might pay for it in later years with a down year of an older age class.

It all depends on your deer density and your goals but I let spikes walk because I don't have a high deer density and I have plenty of food
                I’m familiar with Comanche ranch study as well.

If you have that low of a density then it is a different scenario.

Yes a spike can most definitely turn into a nice deer but this study shows that on average a forked yearling will have a larger frame and heavier body weight.

Comment

Family used to hammer every spike to the point hey we never saw spikes again!! Guess what else we didn’t see

Comment

Almost all spikes are 1.5 yr olds. I'm not sure how many thousands of dead deer I've looked at in 30 years in the range and wildlife profession, but I can only think of 2 spikes I've seen that were over 1.5 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                      If you have 4 yearlings and 3 have better than spikes and 1 has spiks the spike get to be dinner
                      This right here.

In the area I hunt, there is five 6-8 month old spikes. One was a 7 point, 2 were really long spikes, one was 1” spike the last one is a nubbin. If Im shooting spikes, it will be the shorter spike or the nubbin. Im not shooting a spike just be ause its a spike.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                        This right here.

In the area I hunt, there is five 6-8 month old spikes. One was a 7 point, 2 were really long spikes, one was 1” spike the last one is a nubbin. If Im shooting spikes, it will be the shorter spike or the nubbin. Im not shooting a spike just be ause its a spike.
                        8 month old 7 point. Hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                          This right here.

Lol no offense but deer don’t grow horns at 6-8 months. They get their first horns as yearlings

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                            Almost all spikes are 1.5 yr olds. I'm not sure how many thousands of dead deer I've looked at in 30 years in the range and wildlife profession, but I can only think of 2 spikes I've seen that were over 1.5 years old.

I totally agree with you on this. I’ve never personally seen a mature spike either. This study just states that, on average, 1.5 year old spikes are inferior to forked spikes in their older years.

Comment

ah... government sponsored science is awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X