No announcement yet.

2022-2023 Somerville public hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went out last Tuesday, and saw 3 bucks following each other in a line. Guess they were still in their bachelor group. Went out yesterday in a NW (swirling) wind instead of a NNE, and only saw one mature wide but small tined buck that I couldn’t get a shot on, but seemed really interested in a hot doe scent my buddy put out. Idk if they’re starting to go solo or if he was just late to the bed and the others winded me. Anyone here seeing bachelor groups still?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeStudd View Post
      Went out last Tuesday, and saw 3 bucks following each other in a line. Guess they were still in their bachelor group. Went out yesterday in a NW (swirling) wind instead of a NNE, and only saw one mature wide but small tined buck that I couldn’t get a shot on, but seemed really interested in a hot doe scent my buddy put out. Idk if they’re starting to go solo or if he was just late to the bed and the others winded me. Anyone here seeing bachelor groups still?

That’s pretty much what I’ve been seeing too. Once in a while I’ll see a buck on its own but not often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rem788 View Post
        That’s pretty much what I’ve been seeing too. Once in a while I’ll see a buck on its own but not often.

Have seen three different bucks in last week all on there own. Saw a young buck today (not shooter) with three doe.

Comment

Hey all,

So finally saw a buck. I never got a look at him head on but it would appear he was right about ears wide. I’m a rule follower through and through so I never even put tension on my string due to being unsure. That situation actually really shook me. I’m brand new to hunting Texas and am used to mule deer that have about a 22” ear to ear spread so everything looks small to me. So if the DNR says to look for an ear to ear spread but then also states that the buck needs to be greater than 13”. What happens if you take a buck that is ear to ear wide but ends up falling short 1/2” or something. Anyone have any second hand stories or friend of a friend story this has happened to? I personally think this is about the silliest parameter I’ve ever seen for qualifying a buck as legal. If there’s a risk of a ticket for a fraction of an inch my bow will likely stay on the hanger unless a buck is obnoxiously wide. Sorry for all the questions, I feel like I’m the most annoying new guy on the thread but I’m just trying to do things the right way and this is all new to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DieXarr0w88 View Post
            Hey all,

So finally saw a buck. I never got a look at him head on but it would appear he was right about ears wide. I’m a rule follower through and through so I never even put tension on my string due to being unsure. That situation actually really shook me. I’m brand new to hunting Texas and am used to mule deer that have about a 22” ear to ear spread so everything looks small to me. So if the DNR says to look for an ear to ear spread but then also states that the buck needs to be greater than 13”. What happens if you take a buck that is ear to ear wide but ends up falling short 1/2” or something. Anyone have any second hand stories or friend of a friend story this has happened to? I personally think this is about the silliest parameter I’ve ever seen for qualifying a buck as legal. If there’s a risk of a ticket for a fraction of an inch my bow will likely stay on the hanger unless a buck is obnoxiously wide. Sorry for all the questions, I feel like I’m the most annoying new guy on the thread but I’m just trying to do things the right way and this is all new to me.

The 13in rule was created to protect the 1.5 year old bucks and most of 2.5 years old bucks from getting shot to increase the age structure and also number of bucks to doe ratio. Before the 13in rule anything with horns was shot and led to a poor buck to doe ratio, young bucks making up the buck population, and crappy hunting.

You did well to proceed with caution. If it right tip to tip...that is your call but generally that is a 2.5 yr old buck majority of the time. Now when a buck gets mature and has a bigger body then ear tip to ear tip spread could be 15in. That is a very rare case and very obvious when you see it.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
              The 13in rule was created to protect the 1.5 year old bucks and most of 2.5 years old bucks from getting shot to increase the age structure and also number of bucks to doe ratio. Before the 13in rule anything with horns was shot and led to a poor buck to doe ratio, young bucks making up the buck population, and crappy hunting.

You did well to proceed with caution. If it right tip to tip...that is your call but generally that is a 2.5 yr old buck majority of the time. Now when a buck gets mature and has a bigger body then ear tip to ear tip spread could be 15in. That is a very rare case and very obvious when you see it.

Good luck

I totally get the idea. I just think the implementation is beyond silly. They should just say ears or wider. Nothing arbitrary, and no guess work involved. I’m probably preaching to the choir here… Thank you for the info, maybe this year is more of a sit and observe year for me until I’m comfortable. Good luck to you as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DieXarr0w88 View Post
                I totally get the idea. I just think the implementation is beyond silly. They should just say ears or wider. Nothing arbitrary, and no guess work involved. I’m probably preaching to the choir here… Thank you for the info, maybe this year is more of a sit and observe year for me until I’m comfortable. Good luck to you as well.

You made the right choice. If you have to second guess then don’t take the shot. I had an eight point in a bachelor group dead to rights, 18 yds and perfect broadside a couple weeks ago but he was right at the 13”. It was too close to be sure so I let him walk. I still feel like I won the game but I’d rather be safe than sorry.

Comment

I’m not sure who it was that I had my bow aimed at thinking it was a pig coming out of the brush but it’s not the best idea to be walking around the hunting land at 8:30 in the morning when people are set up in their spots since dark waiting for game animals.

Comment

Originally posted by rem788 View Post
                    I’m not sure who it was that I had my bow aimed at thinking it was a pig coming out of the brush but it’s not the best idea to be walking around the hunting land at 8:30 in the morning when people are set up in their spots since dark waiting for game animals.

It’s public land. Point your weapon at the ground until you know what you’re looking at. You’re the bigger problem in this case. I don’t get out late or come in early, but there are reasons to do it and it’s expected on public land.

It would be nice if everyone was in their stand an hour before sunrise and didn’t get up till 30 min after sunset, but most guys are already back at the truck by the end of shooting light. There are also a lot of people trying to figure it out and Somerville is pretty much free.

Comment

Originally posted by skrobo View Post
                      It’s public land. Point your weapon at the ground until you know what you’re looking at. You’re the bigger problem in this case. I don’t get out late or come in early, but there are reasons to do it and it’s expected on public land.

It would be nice if everyone was in their stand an hour before sunrise and didn’t get up till 30 min after sunset, but most guys are already back at the truck by the end of shooting light. There are also a lot of people trying to figure it out and Somerville is pretty much free.

I’m well aware that it’s public land which means people are supposed to wear orange while walking around which they were not.

Comment

2022-2023 Somerville public hunting thread

I lost an arrow tonight. It is a Black Eagle Rampage with a Muzzy tip if anyone comes across it at the Nails Creek location.

Last edited by LoganAY; 11-01-2022, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Interesting week in the woods. I broke out the recurve to shoot a doe ended up having a legal old troll of a 4 point 28 yards from me for 5 minutes. I only trust myself 20 and in with a struggle stick. Went back in with the compound blew out some pigs on the way in. Had my hinge release… Come.. Unhinged. I think that arrow ended up in College Station so if anyone lives out there I’d like that back. Ha. Blew out a doe getting into the stand that I think had a buck behind her. Is this about the normal time for the rut here?.. I also stumbled upon a dead dog. Not a coyote, a pet dog. It was seemingly missing it’s bottom jaw. I think it may have been shot in the face. Anyone know the state law there? Can you euthanize your pets like that? Made me sick, I wanted to call someone but I didn’t want to waste someone’s time if that is technically legal…

Comment

I think you can kill a dog if your property how you want minus anything deemed as torture.

Was the jaw from a gun or just scavengers pulled it apart?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Not totally sure but I didn’t see any other obvious wounds. Sadly there were boot prints and paw prints near by.

Comment

What kind of dog? Last week there was a sweet female pitbull that someone ditched on the side of the road and she was too scared to come to me. You can tell she wasn't aggressive though when I came back the next day I brought dog food but I could not find her

Comment

Working...
                                X