Big Bend Astrophotography?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Bend Astrophotography?

Heading to Big Bend to do a little backpacking in a couple of weeks, and I've always heard that it's just about the best for astrophotography. Anyone tried getting some milky way shots out there or just generally starry skies, and any advice on lenses to toss on a Canon 5D Mark III?

If I were going with you, I'd have my 16-35 f2.8L on my camera for astrophotography.

Comment

Yea I always run my Sigma 16mm 1.4 for stars and Milky Way shots

Comment

These were at beavers bend with my 80D and 50mm 1.4. It was my first time trying astrophotography, be prepared for a LOT of waiting (bring coffee and a chair lol).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TGoody View Post
          Yea I always run my Sigma 16mm 1.4 for stars and Milky Way shots
          Wow! Very cool shot, I'll have to look at that Sigma and the 16-35 mentioned above.

Comment

Awesome how cameras can capture that!

Comment

Was just in Big Bend! Clouds were predominant most the time except for the start of our first night there so that was a bummer. Tripod is the biggest need when shooting astro shots. I used my 28-70 sony kit lens and came up with this shot on that first night.
              Attached Files

Comment

What time of the year is the most comfortable to visit Big Bend? Are there good places to stay with a 5th wheel camper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Some of those are out.standing photos!

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                    Some of those are out.standing photos!
                    You mean art work. Because these "photos" are so doctored that Ansel Adams is rolling over in his grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      What time of the year is the most comfortable to visit Big Bend? Are there good places to stay with a 5th wheel camper?

We go November-March. We tent camp. There is one campground with RV hookups in the park. There is also the Stillwell Store near the North end of the park. They have RV sites. Terlingua also has a few RV parks and it is only a few miles to the West gate. Everything is far away out there so potentially you could have a 1.5 hour drive every morning to your destination

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

How long is your 5th wheel Mike? You can also leave it at home and stay at Terilinqa Ranch outside the park. There is too much exploring to do to have to haul a large camper and maintain it IMO. Unless you are staying and extended time.

My favorite camping is a nice cot in the open air. I have been in the heat of July and the cold of winter.

July is fine if you camp at the right elevation, then when day starts jump in the truck with the ac and drive all day taking in all the scenes. Really cant be beat.

Comment

Keep an eye out for Mt lions if you are on the trails!

Comment

Originally posted by Stickslinger92 View Post
                            Was just in Big Bend! Clouds were predominant most the time except for the start of our first night there so that was a bummer. Tripod is the biggest need when shooting astro shots. I used my 28-70 sony kit lens and came up with this shot on that first night.
                            Cool shot! I'll definitely have my tripod, cable release etc. Is that lens a f3.5 on the Sony? My problem is that I typically do a lot of daytime landscapes that don't require a very fast lens, so my main workhorse lens is only f/4. The only "fast" one I've got is the 70-200 2.8 which won't do me much good lol.

I may need to rent/borrow a faster lens is what I'm thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post
                              Cool shot! I'll definitely have my tripod, cable release etc. Is that lens a f3.5 on the Sony? My problem is that I typically do a lot of daytime landscapes that don't require a very fast lens, so my main workhorse lens is only f/4. The only "fast" one I've got is the 70-200 2.8 which won't do me much good lol.

I may need to rent/borrow a faster lens is what I'm thinking.
                              Yeah the Sony is a 3.5 lens and that's what the picture was shot at. I had to have shutter open longer than I would have liked (25 seconds) and ISO was a little high (3200) If you can get your hands on a fast lens it would definitely help!

Comment

Working...
                              X