Pulsar RXQ30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulsar RXQ30

I have watched quite a few videos on the RXQ30 on youtube, and still have a few questions.

Has anyone tested out the new one with the black and white screen? Any comments over it?

In all honesty what do you think the true detection and identification range in East Texas Summers would be (85* with 60% humidity night)? I know it says 985 yards detection on a human standing up, but that is optimal conditions.

I have thought about getting one to upgrade my 6.5grendel from the photon rt.

If anyone is near Katy and has one, I would love to be able to meet up just so I could look through it if possible? I hate buying something I cant actually put my hands on first.

I have the green display. I would think the black in white would be better than the green. 200 yards is not an issue on most nights. Sometimes a good bit further. Is it as clear as the higher $$ ones? Nope. It gets the job done though and is lot easier on the budget. When humidity is higher it may be reduced to 150 or so. I never feel like i can't accomplish my mission with it. Don't get me wrong...if i had the extra dollars laying around i would have a higher dollar one. Most shots realistically should still be taken at 100 yards or less in my opinion. My .02. I don't think you will be let down on its performance for the money you spend.

Comment

I saw your PM but I'll reply here in case other people have the same question.

The Pulsar Core RXQ30V had a green tinted AMOLED display until it was replaced in May of 2019 with a standard black and white AMOLED. The image quality increased about 10%+ with the black and white display. I didn't mind the green display but whatever they were doing to tint it green was degrading the image quality a little.

I'm in Deep East Texas so I can speak to how it performs in rain forest conditions.lol Generally speaking you can expect to be able to positively ID a hog or a coyote at 150-200 yards. On a good night in good terrain, 200 yards is possible. On a rainy night in worse terrain it might be 150 yards. Those are conservative and realistic estimates. Some people might be able to ID further and some people with less experience might be on the lower side of that number at first.

A realistic shooting range is going to max out at about 200 yards and I advise most people that they will want to keep the majority of their shots under 100 and a normal max of about 150 yards. The reason is, the 1.6x base mag is great for under 100 yards but gets tough as you move out. You can use picture in picture or zoom up the whole screen to 3.2x to shoot longer ranges but once you get up past 3.2x the image quality is going to get really bad quickly. That's just the way thermals work....you lose half your image quality every time you double the base mag.

As for detection range, I don't have many places around here that I can see 985 yards. I can confirm that the RXQ can see hogs/coyotes/deer etc with no problems at 600-700 yards. I can't imagine another 200+ yards is going to be huge feat for it. Again, this is detecting "something", not ID'ing it. But 700 yards is do-able for sure.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask if you decide you want to buy one, feel free to give me a call, we'd love to have your business.

- Jason

Comment

I owned both. They're great budget thermals. True, positive ID ranges depend on your target and your AO. If you have cows, and need to discern between cows and hogs, I'd say you could detect heat signatures at something like the 985 you suggested. But to truly know it's a hog and not a deer, coon, cow, or something else, I'd say 150 yards or so. This assumes the animal is stationary. If you use thermal enough, you will start to be able to ID by their movements even farther out than the PID range of a stationary object.

Edit: Looks like Jason and I were typing at the same time. Glad to see we're on the same page.

Comment

Thank you for the responses guys, I have been hunting quite a bit with the photon RT and a buddy got a thermal and wanting to start stepping up the game some.

Does anyone know anywhere I could just look through one at around houston?

Comment

Originally posted by futureagg View Post
            Thank you for the responses guys, I have been hunting quite a bit with the photon RT and a buddy got a thermal and wanting to start stepping up the game some.

Does anyone know anywhere I could just look through one at around houston?
            I have the RXQ30V with green tint. I'd love to look through one with the white tint as well to do a comparison. I'm in Northwest Houston.

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
              I have the RXQ30V with green tint. I'd love to look through one with the white tint as well to do a comparison. I'm in Northwest Houston.

If I end up getting one I will let you know maybe we can meet up and kill some pigs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the green tint. Outdoor legacy review is accurate with my findings

I took it to south Texas in low humidity and spotted a javelina at 1.2 MILES! of course I couldn’t positively identify it at that range but it picked it up. Deer and hog easily ID to about 300 (farther than I can shoot accurately anyway lol)

Love mine, been a great investment

Comment

Working...
                X